windows 10 is here, so is Forced Automatic Windows Updates

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

OK so windows 10 is forcing anyone without a business version to download updates automatically, without any ability to change it to defer the updates to a later time... which means exceeding our usage will become more common. Anyone with multiple computers or if Microsoft put out large updates then we are pretty much screwed for bandwidth. My question is, what if anything is Exede going to do about this? I've done everything in my power (admittedly, I don't have much) to raise this issue to Microsoft and thousands of others are in the same situation, but obviously they don't care cuz they have some reason for implementing this ridiculous process, leaving all users with limited bandwidth pretty much helpless.... Which means EVERYONE WHO HAS EXEDE IS AFFECTED!

Is there anything that can be done about this? Maybe there is a possibility that usage from windows updates won't count towards our monthly usage? If nothing changes, and nothing is done then Exede users will have to refrain from using the internet all together or plan for a sizable % of their bandwidth to be taken without knowledge and random times, not to mention if a update fails, and gets stuck in a download/fail/re-download loop... which does happen I'm afraid.

I suppose we could avoid windows 10 but is this really what we should expect out of our internet? Avoid going online or avoid the newest OS that will be on the majority of all computers soon? This is likely going to be a huge problem, maybe we should find solutions now before it is.
Photo of max

max

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes
Get the "AtGuard" firewall HERE.

It is very old, and has been compromised as a firewall. 

Why get it?  Because it can be set up to allow ONLY those programs that you want to access the Internet.  When windows 10 tries to do an update, a pop-up will appear for it and you can deny Internet access at that time.  Windows 10 will assume you are not connected to the Internet at that time and try later.  You can disable AtGuard between 12am and 5Am allowing Windows to proceed with it's update(s).

Why the mandatory updates?  Look at how many people still use Windows XP.  The only true update it needed was service pack 3.  Microsoft cannot kill XP if people turn off automatic updates service.  Micro$oft will not make that same mistake again.  When Micro$oft determines "end of life" for all future operating systems, they will surely die, an update will see to that.

P.S. Any newer firewall worth purchasing will have the capability of blocking any outgoing connection you choose.  M$ may have built-in protection from using AtGuard in Win-10.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
Read our Help Center article on some tips about downloading Windows 10.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
And after downloading Windows 10, there likely will be another huge round of other updates for Office plus I had to also manually update some of my third-party software to be compatible.  I downloaded the Win 10 ISO file to a USB memory stick for updating my other computers.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 377 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
There's a way to block automatic Win-10 updates:

Windows 10 testers who've complained about mandatory updates in Microsoft's new operating system might have a solution at hand. The tool, available as an optional download, lets you hide or block any update for Windows or a hardware driver.

Full story
Photo of max

max

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
@Craig ... That's possibly the best idea I've heard on this topic, however impractical it may be it sounds good in theory and I'll try it.

@Alex ... absolutely irrelevant to this topic

@wm4bama ... that tool will help uninstall troublesome updates, but only AFTER its been downloaded, which defeats the whole purpose of this.

What I'm concerned with is the inability to postpone windows updates till the late night free zone, which is impossible cuz as of this moment you have no clue when they are going to be installed or IF they are already installing... I did a clean install of win10 and out of the blue my screen goes black and I thought something was messed up, I did a hard reboot and noticed my resolution was at 1080p, which means a graphics driver was automatically downloaded and installed without my knowledge, zero warning whatsoever - That's a 300mb driver.

Imagine having several computers in your household (we have 8 total windows devices, 6 of which have a possibility to upgrade to windows 10) ... if all these devices were turned on, and just connected to the internet... no browsing, no downloading... its possible that these devices could exceed the monthly limit on windows updates alone if they are beefy ones which I'm sure at least a few will be.

This is not Exede's fault, I know but it is potentially Exede's problem, hopefully I'm overreacting, and there won't be a ton of updates eating our bandwidth... but if I'm not there's going to be a lot of unhappy people.
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 545 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
If you have a router that will run DD-Wrt you can block all the Microsoft update sites except from 12:00am to 5:00pm in your router.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
If you are on WiFi (not Ethernet) you can select a Metered Connection and then under the update options you can select Notify instead of automatic and you will have control over when your Windows 10 updates DOWNLOAD as well as when they install.  Yes, being able to set a time slot would be preferable, but at least this way you can control things.  The Windows 10 bonus for Exede users is that it will show you a history of how much each app/program is using your Internet Data. Spoiler alert: your browser and "System" are the big users, but it is still interesting how much all those other programs on your computer are phoning home.
Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Going Metered isn't going to help that much.

Quote: Any app that relies on an Internet connection to update or display info might be limited in the amount of data it can download or display. You might notice these and other effects:

• Windows Update will only download priority updates.(could be huge updates)

• Apps downloading from the Windows Store might be paused.

• Start screen tiles might stop updating.

• Offline files might not sync automatically.

End quote

This is a serious problem and could potentially use large amounts of data beyond our control. Exede should give us a pass for usages beyond our control. I will be running for the door if this becomes a real problem. It will be like paying for 10GB's and getting 7GB's.

I'm currently using Win10 as metered and have had two updates already that I know of.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Well, those usages aren't really beyond our control.  We may have to live like 2nd class Internet users, but a metered connection, local login, turning off live tiles, running Cortana in local mode, disabling cloud features, etc. may indeed be the price we have to pay.  For now, I am running my main computer without the metered connection just to see how bad it is.  I have been running Office 365 on several computers and have not had an issue with that.  Time will tell...
Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Read this and do this. Looks like by default M$ can use your bandwidth as a P2P connection to update other computers at the expense or your bandwidth. 

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/30/windows-10-steals-your-bandwidth-to-send-other-people-upd...?
(Edited)
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 545 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
That would have been a data killer. I wonder how many other little surprises are waiting to be found?
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Switching off the P2P for the whole world and leaving it turned on for your local network could be useful.  That is the way I set up mine, but it was dumb of MS to default it to wide open.
Photo of Vicki Cook

Vicki Cook

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Under Advanced Settings you can turn off automatic updates
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 545 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Every thing I've read on Win 10 says you can't turn off auto updates on the home version.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
If you are connected by WiFi (as opposed to hardwired), you can set your connection to metered and that will then give you additional control over Windows updates as well as other background downloads.  I am running Windows 10 and it is right there in the settings.  I am running one computer on 24/7, and I log about 2 MB/hour of background usage with the mail program on a hardwired connection.  That's tolerable.
Photo of Noah Johnson

Noah Johnson

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I may just switch completely to Linux and do my browsing with that since I am on the 25Gig plan and always seem to be at the limit -  now if upgrading to Win10 is going to be so active I will definitely run over my limit.  Sad thing is you pay a lot of $ and the performance is tough to deal with.  Only game in town though.
Photo of vicki bettger-marte

vicki bettger-marte

• 10 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
As JEP Champion said above... Please see the URL at the end of this comment to set your computer with metered data. I panicked at first as well.. This solves the issue. Fortunately Microsoft understands that some individuals still live in the internet dark age.. Some day, we may join the rest of the galaxy where data use meets reality. Until then, Cheers! http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/31...
Photo of R Kyd

R Kyd

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Go to Control Panel, Adm Tools, Services and double click on Windows Update.  Set to disable and Stop service.  You have to go back in from time to time and reverse this to get updates.  It's not perfect, but it works.
Photo of Vicki Cook

Vicki Cook

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Photo of max

max

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
The minute i got windows 10 i went into settings and made sure to turn off any settings that might cause possible data usage, and made sure that I included any setting to reflect me as being on a metered network. That didn't stop my computer from receiving video driver updates on it's own and installing them without asking even though i also had deferred the installation of my updates. Well, since then it's been behaving, now it checks for updates and allows me to pick when its okay to actually download them, which makes my post solved.

Still, I really think Microsoft should give us the same options we had before and just set it automatic by default but let us choose what option we see fit. Also the lack of anything describing how big each update is kinda disappointing but anyways, that's an issue for another forum.

Now... If i can just get the download speeds to go back to normal I'll be set. for the last 7 days I've had speeds so slow I might as well be on dial up... I'm talking a 1.5 gb file having an eta of 15 hours. I've been waiting for it to possibly go away on its own as it's happened before but never this long. Any body got any pointers on how to possibly switch beams or whatever it is that might help, I'm getting desperate at this point.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 545 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Even on a metered connection it will still download what it considers "priority updates".
(Edited)
Photo of Vicki Cook

Vicki Cook

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I've also disabled through the Admin settings on my computer windows updates AND the background transfer setting
Photo of max

max

• 11 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
So yeah, my friend exceeded his limit 4 days into his month, runs a speed test at 7am and gets 30 mbps ... I've been cautious and monitored my usage so I can make sure to have bandwidth left at the end of the month and i get 3 mbps ... i pay twice as much for my bill to get 5 more gb's a month and yet i get 1/10 the speed. I'm sick of this BS

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.