Will Exede start producing unlimited internet to their customers?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Question answered. Email provided for assistance. No need of further response at current time.

Photo of Jonathon Crum

Jonathon Crum

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
No, from what I understand bandwidth is limited so it doesn't come to a craw by everybody using it all at once. The satellite had limited capacity. A new satellite is being launched in a couple of years which might help but I'm not an expert.
Photo of Rebecca LaVell

Rebecca LaVell

• 5 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I have suggested many times that they roll over at least 10% of the un-used data (Gigs). I believe that we are going to have to do something desperate to get the "Head Honchos" to listen.There main concern is $$$$$$, when it should be about custome service and wanting to keep them happy. I thought that Hughes Net was bad,,,but Exede tops them big time. If I am still living in an area where I need satalite again...it will NOT BE EXEDE. At least with Hughes Net, i was not stuck with a "Cap"...I don't about y'all, but I am paying 81.00 a month for 15 Gs....I don't feel that I should be limited as to how often I may or may not download or do streaming.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Please share how you can get HughesNet without a cap.
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Jonathon Crum, 
Right now we are not planning any unlimited data plans. This could change when the new Satellite launches in a few years but that is not 100% right now. I understand the data limit is hard to manage but it can be managed and we can offer a few tips to help you get the most out of your data per month. If you like you can send us an email at exedelistens@viasat.com and we can go over what you do on the internet recommend some ideas and help you out with making the GB plans work for you. 
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 38 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
My neighbor has Hughes Net and has the same 15Gb monthly cap that I do. How do you not have a data usage cap?
Photo of Susan Coulson

Susan Coulson

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I think Wildblue/Exede should offer something. I can't watch videos until the day before my month starts again or I will get the "warning". I refuse to buy more data and feel that we already pay too much for what we can do. I'm waiting for other options so I can move on to something better. I have been a customer for many years and am tired of not being able to do what I want when I want for the money we pay.
Photo of Bradley Nichols

Bradley Nichols

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Rebecca! Hughes Net has a cap...you must have some private plan, they offer to no one else.
(Edited)
Photo of Ricky Paschall

Ricky Paschall

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
The biggest problem, not unlike others internet/cell phone providers, is the advertisement. Of $39.95 per month. Speed is okay, but it is not everything. How many box cars are in NASCAR? The cost of an additional 25GB is $250 + TAX. Ping, Latency and Jitter are important too. Carryover, as mentioned above, should be 100%.
Photo of Donna Mcelhannon

Donna Mcelhannon

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I called my directv and asked for there internet thinking it would be like dishes internet was..unlimited..well wow..directv didn't even come out a man from exede did and I had no idea whatsoever that it was limited till he was through with his job and it was time to sign the paper. I say Poo on Directv and Exede...they worked
together to dump a big one on me.
(Edited)
Photo of Donna Mcelhannon

Donna Mcelhannon

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Shame on them!
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Wireless broadband is becoming more available around the country.  Most of these have unlimited data and slower speeds.  We were on an excellent company before we moved to our current location that have 5 M download speed for $39. a month.  We are frustratingly about 2 miles out of range from the one down here but we are waiting on a start up company to come by our place and check for their signal.  They have newer equipment that does not require a directly line of site to the tower which makes them feasible in hillier areas.  They only offer 1 M at this time but before anyone tries to say you can't stream at that speed, you can indeed, did it a lot on our prior ISP before they upgrade to the 5 M speed.  You do have to put up with a little buffering during busy times but usually Netflix and similar work fine. Ping is usually around 20 or so with wireless broadband compared to an average of about 750 to 800 over a satellite connection.  Where I am heading with this is check for availability of this type of service unless you need the very high speed.  I also think the expansion of the wireless broadband companies also will force the satellite options to at least up their data caps to a more reasonable amount in order to compete with the start up companies expansion.
Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes

I had 1-meg DSL before Exede through Windstream. Actually it was a 3-Meg but all I could ever get was 1 or 2 meg down. It was beyond my threshold of pain. Yes, you can stream very low resolution movies if you don't mind them starting and stopping. Streaming HD takes at least 5-meg connection. Downloading HD movies could take hours. Speed is everything. IMO, a 1-meg connection with a 20ms ping is not as good as a 12-meg connection with a 600ms ping. Actually I consistently see 18-meg downloads.

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
I  had a different experience with wireless broadband.  Rarely did we have buffering issues at that speed unless it was an extremely busy time, then usually just once during a run of a video. I personally don't see a huge difference between HD and regular resolution video when I watch them so basically I don't care.  The point is, the high speeds are pointless with the EXTREME data caps being imposed by the satellite providers.  What good is it if you can't stream more than one or two movies a month and like many people have pointed out, stream one thing in HD and you are done for the month in the lower plans. And I'm sorry, I don't want to watch movies in the middle of the night during the LNFZ because some of us have to sleep.  The company we were with has the BEST customer service I have ever encountered on any ISP I have ever had and wish we could have moved them too. They actually were usually running at slightly above their advertised speed, which I know is exceptional.  The new start up company likely will up their speed as they go along so to each their own but I'll take the slower speed and ability to not monitor things constantly ANY day over the extreme data caps being imposed.  If they offered more reasonable plans for the money they are charging that would be the solution.
(Edited)
Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes

Ok, I think I see the problem here. Like you I can remember when I had a super internet provider. Mine was Optilink offered my my utility company. Fast dependable and affordable. Heck I wish I had it back but it's out of the question. Now I have Exede and darn happy because that is all that's here. It's different, period... and in order to use it you have to figure out how to take advantage of the good things it has to offer such as SPEED and LNFZ. Yes it's inconvenient but it's doable.

When you get discouraged because you can't do something ask the forum how they do it. You can get around the data caps and download all sorts of stuff after midnight with a download manager. I use two of them and many other people here do also.

Check out the YouTube Downloader and GetGo.

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
No, its obviously a bit of a generational difference.  Its great that you love the high speeds and also love or at least don't mind managing them and it works for you.  For me its convenience.  When we left the satellite several years ago for the ISP we had they only offered 1 M at that time and we were TICKLED PINK with that speed because we didn't have to worry anymore about data.  My son could hook up his xbox for the first time, skype was possible,netflix was possible (sure a little buffering once in awhile but not a bother to me)  uploading videos took awhile but that too was at our convenience with no worries about what we were using.  Eventually they upgraded to 5 M and yes that was wonderful and it still feels faster than Exede when we are back at the other place overnight (we still have that ISP there of course until we sell it). 

But the bottom line for me, and I believe many users here that express frustration is convenience.  I don't have the time, energy or interest to micro manage the extreme data caps.  So I basically have given up entirely watching videos.  Except we have the 3 to 8 am free time which I'll give them is a huge improvement over the other one since I normally get up at 6 so I have 2 hours if I want.  I'd also like to be able to say yes if my niece and nephew visit to them hooking their devices to our router but I can't. My husband needs to be on for work frequently and that is an issue as that eats data and that obviously has to happen when its needed.  Also,  downloading youtube and such for me (and no doubt many of the people that are unhappy) really isn't workable when I see a news video or something of interest that is when I am interested in seeing it, not the next day.  So for certain types of people I suspect this is why the frustration gets so high.  Heck,  this is a person who until about 5 years ago had a box of VHS tapes that I had recorded in the 1980's and never got around to watching.  :P 

I'm encouraged with the news that Exede may be expanding the data caps greatly in the near future, and I probably could easily get by with 50 or less most months, but for me, yes, we have been making phone calls and talking to people and searching ever since we moved here,  and if this new start up company has signal to us we will jump ship to the unlimited plan there and even though you have trouble imagining it, we will be just as happy with slower and unlimited internet as you are with the high speeds and need to micro manage the data. 

Thanks for an interesting discussion.  ;-)
Photo of Bradley Nichols

Bradley Nichols

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
remember their is no truly unlimited internet plan.. you may never reach the data cap..but their is always one, if you read the fine print. Even with fiber,cable and DSL

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
The wireless broadband companies use that as a selling point that they don't have a data cap.  However, they will go after a customer that tries to monopolize with things such as bit torrent (my son found that out once) and ask you to stop or slow down but technically they don't cap you.  The slower speeds may be somewhat self limiting toward people that want to download huge amounts of things anyway.
Photo of Bradley Nichols

Bradley Nichols

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I agree i am getting tired of these low data caps. Dont get me wrong Exede has a great service for what it is, but if they can do unlimited webpage and emails, they can give allot more monthly data for the price. I have started to getting a ATT 4G/LTE signal at my house and i am thinking of giving them a try. Yes they have caps but the latency is almost gone and for the same price, i can get double the data. Unless Exede does something, but i doubt they will...
Photo of Mark Petereit

Mark Petereit

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
The problem with LTE is that when you hit the cap they just automatically charge you for more. And that can get VERY expensive, VERY quickly. And there's no midnight-to-5am free zone.

With satellite, you just take a hit in your download speed. The cash stays in your pocket. And no matter how far over your cap you go, you always have the late-night free zone.
Photo of Inthesky

Inthesky

• 49 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
LTE from a cell company is a lot cheaper and less ping and more bang for the buck. Stop kidding yourself mark.
Photo of Mark Petereit

Mark Petereit

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
LTE is MORE expensive. Same monthly cap, but no late night free zone. If you go over your cap, you pay MORE money.
Photo of CGO

CGO

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
You can always up your cap, for Verizon 2 GB for 10$. Lot less than exede :)
Photo of Mark Petereit

Mark Petereit

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
How much would it cost on Verizon to download 200GB/month? Because that's about what I'm downloading each month from Exede during free late zones on my $60 plan.
Photo of John

John

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am on Verizon now and the price for 100GB/month is $750.00.  30GB is $225.00. Verizon is expensive. AT&T and Sprint is cheaper but they are spotty on 4G LTE in my area. I am thinking switching to satellite(Excede) when my contract runs out. I may try Millienicom but they are at Verizon's mercy. They don't have a contract, which is good, and they only offer 20GB 89.90 per month. You would have to pay another 89.99 if you need more than 20GB. Only in 20GB increments.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Sure, they could give us all unlimited usage IF we all wanted slower than dial up speeds. The satellites can only handle so much traffic. Like a freeway, it moves along pretty fast when there are only a few cars on it, still okay with a medium traffic load but, put as absolute many cars as will fit on the freeway, or even get close to that and, it slows to a crawl. Satellite internet works the same way.
Photo of Inthesky

Inthesky

• 49 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
That's a fallacious statement so they can take more of our hard earned money. Stop kidding yourself and stop def drinking the exede coolaid.
Photo of Mark Petereit

Mark Petereit

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Apparently our wishes have been fulfilled. ViaSat just announced yesterday that they're offering a new "virtually unlimited" Freedom plan next week (August 18, 2014) for $99/month. Though technically it will have a 150GB monthly data cap, it's said that the cap will not be enforced.

For more:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/viasat-exede-debuts-first-virtually-unlimited-satellite-internet-se...
(Edited)
Photo of Christoph Lieding

Christoph Lieding

• 56 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Seems like I am always on the deep end= paid 170$ to get going and 63$ a month for 10gigs...anybody else? I will always get it in the behind but I try to spread the Aloha.
Photo of Bradley Nichols

Bradley Nichols

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I dont know why your paying 63 a month for 10gigs the plan for 10gigs is only 49.00
Photo of Bradley Nichols

Bradley Nichols

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
the EVOLUTION plan is 64.99 if  in your area.
Photo of Bradley Nichols

Bradley Nichols

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
too bad it want be for their current users..the ones that have stuck by them. i just done a chat and i was told it wont be for existing customers.
Destiny K: Thank you for contacting ViaSat Customer Care. I will be more than happy to help you with your request. Please allow me a moment to review your account information.
Destiny K: Good morning, Bradley.
You: good morning
Destiny K: I understand you have some questions regarding the Freedom plan. Is that correct?You: yes
Destiny K: I am more than happy to answer your questions.
You: is that a true plan yall offer
Destiny K: We are going to be offering this plan. It has not yet been released, however when it is, it will only be available in select areas for new customers.
You: so existing customer will not get the offer
Destiny K: At this time, it will not.
Destiny K: It is still a developing plan and the details are not set in stone.
You: well it has to be close to set in stone it releases Monday
You: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/viasat-exede-debuts-first-virtually-unlimited-satellite-internet-se...
Destiny K: Although, it releases Monday, it is only being offered in select areas for new customers to start. It is developing.
You: what about the current users data cap going higher
You: that use the evolution plan
Destiny K: I do not have any other details at this time. I apologize, Bradley.

Photo of Mark Petereit

Mark Petereit

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Nice. Cue the angry mobs of current customers in 3...2...1...
Photo of Bradley Nichols

Bradley Nichols

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
yea that sucks...we should be the ones that get it first. not the new ones. they should at least tripple or data caps. 
Photo of Mark Petereit

Mark Petereit

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Actually, I think they're going to do just that. 

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
I am on Evolution and when they got the meter running they said they'd give extra data for a couple months to help people adjust, first two months the meter said 40 gigs, then it dropped to 15.  i was expecting it to go on down to 5 but now with this new announcement I am wondering if it will just be 15 and the other plans should go up too if so.  If they offer 30, 45 and 75 on their standard plans I would think for most people those are more workable numbers.  Time will tell.
Photo of Diana T Lister

Diana T Lister

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Interesting... We just got on to the Evolution plan and we only got 15gb to start and we are told it will be weened from there. Wonder why the difference in GB at the beginning...

We use to go through Att until my husband lost his job and we had to drop internet for awhile. When we went to go back through att we found out they no longer service our area and were keeping open only limited ports. Ugh.

Anyway, Overall though, we have had great customer service with Exede (not the Sales Dept.) and their tech support has been great when needed, which hasn't been very often. Out speeds have been great and we love the freedom of unlimited web searching and email. However, ask my children and they would prefer to use their xbox online wheneve they feel like it ;-) they are gamers. Lol

I am in high hopes that Exede will do right with their existing customers... We homeschool our children and all their courses are online. They will soon be getting up during the Early Bird hours to do some of the work that uses data, but it would be awesome if they could use video for learning with no worries of eating up our data package and they could have the freedom of at least sleeping in until 7am (as this is one of the reasons of why we homeschool them)

I'm a happy customer but can always be happier with more data ;-)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I am always annoyed when new customers get stuff I the longstanding loyal customer can't get....but on another more business minded level, I do understand why it is done this way...bringing on big numbers of completely new customers by offering something new and exciting is the best way to quickly increase profits to pay for the new technology which eventually will move down to non-new customers, presumably; or customers will sooner or later find what they need somewhere else.  I just signed up for exede internet bundled with exede voice and FINALLY after 22 yrs I can get rid of my VERIZON home phone!  I have been waiting that long for verizon to extend high speed internet services to where I live, which is NOT far out in the boonies, but they never have and won't even guess about when they might.  The verizon customers who have access to plans with phone/internet/tv pay substantially less than what I pay for a bundle of verizon plus direct tv...they pay A LOT less...I have had years in which to build up a bigtime grudge against verizon, believe me....  So, as soon as I found a way, thru getting exede voice, I am dumping them.  I assume they could care less because of what the numbers of customers in different areas tells them works best for their bottom line.  p.s. cell phone service isn't even reliable here where I live, and again not all that far out in the boonies...All that said, I don't expect that I live in one of the "select" areas where the exede Freedom plan will first be offered to new customers....so I take it as my responsibility under these circumstances to research every little thing that is out there to find out what will work the best for me where I live, unless I want to move (I don't)
But Kimberly, can you tell me why they can't offer the new Freedom plans in select areas to BOTH new and existing customers?  I really am curious about the reason for that.
LorrieL
Photo of Bradley Nichols

Bradley Nichols

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
oh i can answer that for you. they give you the same old we have to test the new technology and we are doing are best to please everyone. when you hit the nail on the head, its to bring in more money. Has nothing to do with satisfy the loyal ones. they did the same with the Evolution Plan,but when they did not get enough bites, they released to most everyone. 
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3153 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
If you go to www.excede.com  you will see that the plans offer the higher data caps for the first 6 months only.  They are trying to gather new customers in those areas where the beams are underutilized now.  Be patient, existing customers may be offered better plans with higher data caps in the future,
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I know this can be frustrating that the new plans are only available to new customers in certain areas. Just as many other Internet service providers do, we are testing our new plans in select areas. Understanding how different plans work in different areas of the country allows us to improve the quality and variety of the plans that we offer and to create a service that matches the changing needs of today’s Internet customers. Hopefully these new plans will be a huge success for many of our customers and we will be able to expand the service plans to everyone. Stay tuned!
Photo of Bradley Nichols

Bradley Nichols

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
We'll it should be tested on the customers you have now and not a bait to dangle in front of new customers to get them to sign a contract. Then the network will be bogged down. I guessing your test areas are going to be were y'all don't have that many customer. But I guess if I owned that company, it would be all about the money also.......
Photo of Mark Petereit

Mark Petereit

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Well, that's how business works. If they weren't in it for the money, they wouldn't be in it at all, and we'd still be using 56K modems.
Photo of Bradley Nichols

Bradley Nichols

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
i would move before i ever had to suffer that much.....
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
All the details of the new plans will be available for customers and potential customers to read and learn about once it is available for use on Monday. With having plans with a much bigger data allotment we will be tweaking alot of things to run the service efficiently for all of our customers. We are always looking for ways to improve and getting a great new plan out there is a fantastic start.
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I moved recently so have no choice but to use Exede. I have hit my data limits the first week of the new billing period.  I increased my plan and hit my data limits after a week and a half. I would give anything to have my cable internet back, never had any issues or data limits with BrightHouse.  Your service is terrible and I truly regret signing up with you.  Why should we be forced to change our lives for Exede and stay up all night in order to watch Netflix?  Not one bit happy
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Barb, I'm sorry our service hasn't been working out for you needs. /: I'd like to help you in any way that I can. Please send us an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and I'll see what I can do for you. Look forward to hearing from you.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Barb, You weren't "forced" to change your life. You "chose" to move to where satellite internet is the best option and Exede is the best satellite ISP service. You have to now choose to learn to live with it or move back to the city.
Photo of Inthesky

Inthesky

• 49 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Jim what an incredibly asinine statement. Sometimes situations occur and we have no choice in what we do or where we move.  Get over yourself.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
You are right. "Sometimes" people are forced to live where satellite internet is their only option. And I admit I do not know about Barb specifically. But I do believe that "most" of the time living is the country is a choice people have made. And when you make that choice, you must consider all the ramifications like septic tanks, wells, no street lights, no garbage pickups, emergency services, cellular signal strengths, etc. etc. etc. It's all about what trade offs you are willing to make to escape suburbia.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
In the sky, PLEASE.  would you please consider toning it down -- you can express your opinions in a way that is just as clear without calling a statement "asinine" or saying completely disrespectful things like "get over yourself".  I happen to agree with the CONTENT of what you said in reply to Jim but I HATE the way you chose to express it.  and I notice that despite how rude you were to Jim he replied in a very civil way, explaining what he said.  
And both of you are correct with regard to some situations...sometimes people have no choice, which may have been the case with Barb...but still, even if you had no choice Barb, it isn't Exede's fault that satellite internet is inherently different than the type of broadband you had before...if exede were a CABLE co and not satellite internet then you would have a huge data allowance compared to what Exede is able to provide with the current satellite techology. 
Satellite came about to fill the gap for people who lived where they couldn't get cable or other kinds of land based broadband...satellite is completely different...
I don't know of anyone who could get cable or fios or DSL who would choose satellite internet over any of those...satellite is really designed for those of use who haven't got those other options...and if you had hughesnet gen4 satellite you wouldn't have any late night free zone..exede is a good company when you lay out the options...but after you have had cable I can only imagine how frustrated you would feel with all this data allowance stuff and all the things you can't do that you could with cable....but I just say, I understand but that isn't exede's fault.
As for me, Jim's right about me...I do choose the country even though it means I can't have better broadband choices......and I have to still carry my garbage to the dump....I am aware of that choice that I made, which is one of the reasons I don't get more angry about my situation...nobody MADE me choose to live where I couldn't get cable or fios...although....when I moved here FIOS wasn't even an option yet....
Photo of Chrisina Paul

Chrisina Paul

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
When will Exede offer unlimited internet?.

I have been with Wildblue / Exede for over a year now.  Unlike many, I have not had the issues or the complaints (knock on wood!)  that others here have expressed.   I live in a log cabin in a very rural area, so my choices are Wildblue or dailup.  I am not going back to dialup. 

I do a lot of freelance work writing and video production. I absolutely need the highest amount of internet available because of my work.   I have no problem using up my 25 GB in one month, and usually go over because I am researching and doing my work a great deal of the time.   I  have taken to driving to a local community college some 20 miles away to use their free internet ( I sometimes do video work for them, so it is a perk).   I should not have to wait until midnight and work to 5 AM to take advantage of the "free" time - but I am having to do that more and more and clients are not so very understanding - unless they happen to be overseas clients.    

Why does Exede not wise up and offer an Unlimited internet option?   I am already paying a premium for the service, and honestly, I think you would do a whole lot better with marketshare if you even offered the unlimited option.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Barb, I hope you do email Kimberly about the problem you are having with rapidly vanishing allowance...when I first signed up for another satellite internet provider a few yrs ago, I only had a problem with disappearing allowance the very first week.  What I didn't understand was that certain automatic downloads were taking place in the background without my being aware it it.  Like microsoft updates and updates for my antivirus software...once I figured that out and just switched the settings so that they would only download during the "free period" late at night, I had no further problems. There is also "download manager" software you can get where you can set up certain other downloads you may want to do so that they occur during the free period.
LorrieL
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Unlimited data for new customers 'only' is available now.  http://www.exede.com/internet-packages-pricing/service-availability?zip=32117  This can't be legal to exclude existing customers.
Photo of Bradley Nichols

Bradley Nichols

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yea that plan sucks.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Of course it's legal. Can you return something to WalMart that you bought last week but it is now on sale? My $1200 plane tickets I bought last month are now $900 but I'm not able to swap for the cheaper ones. We have to accept that these companies are in business to make money for the owners and stockholders - not to satisfy our every whim.
Photo of Bradley Nichols

Bradley Nichols

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
you would be correct, if they didn't have that little clause for customer loyalty. So it should not just be about money. 
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Many stores offer refunds for price changes.  And yes you can return something from Wal-Mart and then turn around and buy it on sale.  I've done it many times.  ALL customers whether new or existing should be treated equally.  That is just 'good' business sense.  90% of the posts in this forum are all complaints, what's that tell you?
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
It tells me that 90%of the people who come to the forum are people who are having problems. The 90% of Exede's customers who are satisfied with the service are not coming to the forum.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Jim, In general I agree with what you are saying...but while I am in the "satisfied" group I still find valuable info on the forums.  like in the last 24 hrs I learned about the free softward  "networx" which I have downloaded and and
 learning how to use. I learned about these exciting new Freedom plans and that they are only currently for new customers in "select" locations, but that a new satellite will go up in 2016 and then more information usage may be available to all somewhere around that time....I am always looking for more info...and forums are another place to find it.  I also appreciate the fact that exede/viasat employees on on these forums and invite people with problems to communicate directly with them. I learned that there is an email address (exedelistens@viasat.com) that I can use to ask questions....and this I all learned in the 24 hrs since I just signed up for exede internet.  I do wish some people had a less angry attitude when discussing their problems, and didn't seem to feel that Exede WANTS to take advantage of them or wants to withhold valuable services, but that is just my personal preference.
So even when not at all dissatisfied I will come to forums at times just to learn new things..
Lorrie
Photo of Charles Clark

Charles Clark

• 31 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Well stated!
I am generally satisfied, but am learning things from these posts too.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
I wish more satisfied customers would visit the forum and share their experiences. I come here to learn and to help when I can. Even as a dealer and installer I learn a lot from the postings here. You may want to visit the other more useful and helpful forum. More of the "old timers" are there and it is much easier to navigate. You can find it here.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Thanks, will give it a try.
Lorrie
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I sure hope they are nicer than you are in the other forum Jim.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
When have I not been nice Barb? Is it not nice to share your opinion? I think you are nice even when you disagree with me. I apologize if I've offended. Can I blame it on poor communication skills?
Photo of Bsweep

Bsweep

• 102 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Jim, I just looked at all of your comments. I don't see where you were anything but polite and to the point. I'm wondering what you said that could be remotely considered offensive.
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
They are offering it ONLY if you signed up after mid AUG 2014. If you signed up before that...too bad. You don't count. They'll use your HIGH payment to finance TV commercials, instead of rewarding the OLD LOYAL customers. Actually LOYAL is really a misnomer...they've stuck us for at least 2 years.
Photo of Inthesky

Inthesky

• 49 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Don't worry Ricky, they're going down a path now that some old no name companies tried and failed at. They'll piss off their consumers and all this testing they're doing will be for nothing. They should've please the customers first, and themselves second. After all, we are the one's that keep them in business. :)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.