Will the modem I just bought for the Freedom 150GB plan work with ViaSat-2

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Answered
Hello,

A few days ago I signed up for the Freedom 150GB plan at 12Mbps. I paid the $299.99 modem lease fee up front. I'm unsure of the specifics of the modem, I just know that it has built in WiFi.

I just read that ViaSat-2 will be available in 2018. Is there any way of knowing if the modem I just paid for would work with this service? I ask because if I decide to switch to the ViaSat-2 service, I would have paid $299.99 for my current modem only to have used it for a few months.

Thanks for the help!
Photo of Casey

Casey

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 462 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
Give it some time for things to play out and settle down Casey. There are a lot of changes coming in the next few months. I CAN tell you this, in the 3 yrs I've been an Exede dealer I have never seen them do anything that wasn't fair to the customer. They are by far the most ethical company I have ever dealt with in 33 yrs of being in business.

Andy
Photo of Casey

Casey

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Andy. I agree, I have had a great experience with Exede. When the time comes for ViaSat-2 plans to be available, all I can do is explain the situation and hope for the best. I'll just sit tight and see what happens.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 387 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
One of the Exede employees on here, a while back, said that the new sat would require all new equipment.   Said that it was a change from what had originally been planned. But, that is probably also subject to change by the time the sat is ready for service!
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2477 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
The word is you will need some new equipment to work with Viasat-2. Being a completely new platform not based on Viasat-1 tech, I would say the chances of it working with Viasat-2 is slim to none. And it isn't early yet, expect Viasat-2 to be in production in less than six months. That means the hardware to support it, while not publically announced, could very well be in production now.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 462 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
I've seen the new modem. I'll say this...it is different'

As I said originally however, VS1 will be able to give a lot more than it currently is after things get up and going. Just be patient.

Andy
Photo of Lake Country Satellite

Lake Country Satellite, Champion

• 140 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Hey Casey, not to worry.  You did not purchase the modem, ViaSat does not sell their equipment, you paid a one time up front fee for a LIFETIME LEASE, thus saving you $10 per month to infinity.  As long as you are a current subscriber in good standing, you can upgrade to the new wifi modem at anytime without penalty.  And once the new VS2 satellite is active in early 2018 there will be a path to upgrade to it.  Like Andy said, ViaSat is an incredible company with a stellar reputation.  The bad reputation it receives is from these hack installers that slam and go, and from the sales only organizations that are just looking to make a fast buck and promise the world.  Andy and I both are Elite Dealers who earned that status by doing the right thing by our customers, always!
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack, Champion

• 462 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
Hi Dave.

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2477 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
That is exactly right. Hack installers and Directv pushing rhe product to make a quick sale with the promises of "bundling". Then people who can get terrestrial internet signup not knowing the limitations of satellite internet and blame Viasat!!!
(Edited)
Photo of Casey

Casey

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hey thanks for clearing that up! I can breathe a little easier. This is my first experience on the Exede forums, it's been an extremely helpful place. Thank you all!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2883 Posts
  • 962 Reply Likes
You may not even need to be put on ViaSat 2. We'll be able to do some major changes for plans even if you're on ViaSat 1. I'd wait it out see what happens but we can work with you.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2477 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
That's true. But depending on your location, I would say Viasat-2 is a must, especially for those on Exede 5 still or those that have been on some of the most congested beams :).
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2883 Posts
  • 962 Reply Likes
That's a possibility as well. We'll certainly have more information closer to time.