Wildblue Email problems

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
I have several email accounts that end in  *.wildblue.net. Today I received an email from the WildBlue email administrator saying that changes are being made and that I have to follow their link to approve these changes. However, when I follow this link, the process says I have the wrong password (I do not). I have the option of using the "Forgot Password" to reset the password. However, when I follow this link I am asked for my current password again before it will change the password. This is illogical. If the system accepted my current password then I would not be using the "Forgot Password" option. Someone needs to fix their software at Wildblue.

EDIT UPDATE
The Viasat email referenced above is supposedly from Hughs.net!??
Here is the top half of the referenced email to me.

Click on the image to see it better.
What gives? Spam? If so, why? What is to be gained by this by the spammers?
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 195 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 195 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Beware.
I now suspect that the thieves wanted my Wildblue email password which I readily gave them as part of following the link. Fortunately, I have had time to change all my Wildblue passwords as a result of this.
These thieves are probably trolling for other Wildblue (or Exede or Viasat) passwords so don't fall for this the way I did.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2232 Posts
  • 1364 Reply Likes
Definitely looks like some sort of phishing attempt.  I'd run your scans, then legitimately change your password, or even better, change it from a different computer, but still run your scans on the one used in the above phishing attempt.  Who knows what may have actually gotten onto the system, especially if a link in the email took you to another page.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2232 Posts
  • 1364 Reply Likes
Oh, and I should add, I don't know if ViaSat has any type of phishing warning thing, like where you can forward a phishing attempt to them, but if they do, or even if you could forward them a snapshot or something, I would.  Try to keep it from happening to others, more or less.  
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
MEM, It will not be long before you receive a REAL message from Viasat informing you that you have 30 days to acquire new email address.

Your *@wildblue.net addresses will positively be deleted at some point this year - by Viasat.

Viasat is shedding 100% of their email accounts.

Now or later - but you will be losing those accounts...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1581 Posts
  • 929 Reply Likes
This looks to be spam but the fact old wildblue email addresses are going the way of the dinosaur is true.
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 195 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Moderators:
Here is the link in the above fake Viasat email to me.
https://ssowild.anewwildde.com/
This site was redirected from:
https://storage.googleapis/ssowild/syncorwild.html/

You may want to have Viasat security investigate this link.
(Edited)
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1020 Posts
  • 502 Reply Likes
Forward the phishing email to us at viasatlistens@viasat.com in it's entirety.  We pass it onto our security team from there.