WiFi modem must be in bridge mode?

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
The WiFi modem that came with Viasat service has died. After over a dozen calls to customer non-service, (frequently getting completely opposite answers) I bought a Netgear WiFi modem. The modem indicated is wasn’t receiving any signal through the coax. Another call to Viasat said that we HAD to use a Viasat device only, so I returned the Netgear modem. After more attempts to reach tech support, I was told that the Netgear WiFi router WOULD work, but it had to be in bridge mode. Before I go out and buy another router, can anyone tell me if this is true, or am I just getting shined on by another knuckle head? Thanks!
Photo of Tim Bonine

Tim Bonine

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
You have to use the Viasat modem to connect to the Viasat service.  You can use a  router connected to the Viasat modem if you aren't satisfied with the performance of the WiFi connectiions built into the Viasat modem. (If your modem has that WiFi capability, the original modem didn't!)
Photo of Tim Bonine

Tim Bonine

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
What makes you think your modem has failed?

What does your modem status page show?
( 192.168.100.1 )

What is the color of the light on top of your modem, after waiting for 5 minutes after powering it up?
Photo of Tim Bonine

Tim Bonine

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Are you kidding???  No, after multiple calls with Viasat, it never occurred to anyone to verify that the modem had failed.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2223 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
If the ViaSat modem has died, no 3rd party device, including a Netgear router, is going to help you.  It would be like replacing the transmission in a vehicle whose engine doesn't run (though a Netgear router would be adding to, not replacing). 

If the ViaSat modem has died, you need to get the ViaSat modem replaced.   Your service won't work until that's done, and purchasing a Netgear router would be a complete waste of money.  
(Edited)