WiFi Friday: Connected in the Clouds

• Article
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Curious as to how we provide in-flight Wi-Fi, and what makes Viasat unique when it comes to this service?

Check out our blog post about our in-flight Wi-Fi services!
Photo of Lizzie

Lizzie, Viasat Official Rep

• 46 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes

What sort of congestion do the airlines experience?  We see terrible slow-downs in our speed during the evenings.
How bad does the airline Internet speed drop during the congested times? Do they suffer like we do?

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That's the sad thing. At 30,000 feet I have no buffering issues. But during primetime at my house, not but buffering.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
“Optimize the entire system to provide the bandwidth.”

That means airlines are a higher priority. Since I’m on the path from Charlotte airport to places up North, it’s amazing to know that down below a plane full of people streaming, I barely get enough speed prime time to surf the web.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I haven't looked to see if I get 1080p on a plane. On a tablet, it isn't that big of deal to begin with, but I need to check that the next time I fly.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Don’t post it. Let me believe the plane full of people are at least enjoying their streaming in glorious sub 480.
Photo of micheal forse

micheal forse

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
If you’re on a flight with Viasat you can login with your Exede account and it will automatically slow down to match home speeds.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: "..on a flight with Viasat you can login with your Exede account and it will automatically slow down to match home speeds."

Could this be the reason why?

Viasat Boosts Analytics Performance Using Amazon EBS

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 974 Posts
  • 598 Reply Likes
Tagging a one plus year old post???

I miss the old forum.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.