Wifi extender

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Everybody in my.house has wifi service.I am.stuck in a back room with no service.for a month so I buy a wifi extender I do everything it tells me and the wps wont sync with I also used a laptop and tried it online it wont find the router im going crazy I just spent money on something that doesnt work now is it the router it self or my extender
Photo of Donald Ross

Donald Ross

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • pissed

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 460 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Try setting up the extender or laptop close to the router then moving it further away if you get it to connect.
Photo of Donald Ross

Donald Ross

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I wasnt.expecting a.response that quick lol but I.tried that as well my phone and.xbox has no problem picking.up the router so I called tp link and they said I have to call exede because its not.finding.router
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes

You may need to set up the repeater using an Ethernet cable connected to the Exede modem and enter the security settings manually.  It should store the settings long enough to plug it in at it's destination.  If the repeater can't find the Exede modem from it's desired location it may be it is just too far away.  Have you considered powerline adapters|?  They have a great range especially if both units are plugged into the same 110V circuit branch at the breaker box.

Photo of Donald Ross

Donald Ross

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
They are kissing each other and no signal guna.have to.call exede or.find out how to get into the router system and see whats going.on because my dad and brother messed with it
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

I've never seen one yet that didn't have a little reset button on it somewhere.

Photo of Donald Ross

Donald Ross

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It.has one.yes every device.in.house.picks up.router my phone.dont.and this.expander dont.im.sitting.next to.it and.nothing
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Even the cheap $15 ones on eBay need to be set up using a wired connection because maybe they don't have remote configuration enabled by default or it doesn't exist.  The WPS should not be needed in repeater mode.

When you do connect it using a wired connection, it should go without saying but here goes anyway, make sure the mode is set to repeater as many of them can do different things (such as Access Point, router, WISP client, etc.) Some of the other modes will need security set up identical to the Exede modem.

One more thing...  The repeater does not need to be in your room, just as close to the Exede modem as needs be to get it to relay to you.  Maybe the thing has enough power to make it from an adjacent room or hallway.

(Edited)
Photo of Waldemar Rivera

Waldemar Rivera

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I switched to Hughesnet and got rid of all problems that I had with Exede.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Nice. Go troll their forums now and the transition will be complete.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3344 Posts
  • 1921 Reply Likes
Yes. Best of luck with your Hughesnet.
Photo of Flowerchild62

Flowerchild62

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I love my Viasat. I just want something to boost the power signal to my WHOLE house.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
There are several things you can do, the easiest is to buy and set up a good wifi extender. I've used this one for many customers and it works great and is super easy to set up 
https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WN2500RP-100NAS-Desktop-Extender-WN2500RP/dp/B006V72AHC/ref=sr_1_14?i...

Andy
Photo of beth

beth

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I tried to connect an amplifier to my viasat connection and it won’t sync. My signal is so weak, I get an error when I do a signal test. I don’t think an extender works, if your original signal is too weak. How do boost my original signal??
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3344 Posts
  • 1921 Reply Likes
If an extender is not working (make sure you have it configured correctly first as it should work), install a better router with longer range and attach it to the Viasat modem, turning off the modem's wifi.
Photo of beth

beth

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Will google extenders work with viasat?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3344 Posts
  • 1921 Reply Likes
I can't say for sure.  I use ASUS exclusively.  I have an ASUS router with extended range and then a Wifi  extender  and it works great. 

Have you tried logging into the Viasat modem/router and see if your extender shows as connected to it?  That is the first step.  You also have to configure your extender.  What one are you trying to use? 
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 320 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Good morning Donald,

To echo J&J, don't put the extender/repeater in the room where you don't have a signal, put it about mid way between the mod/router and the room, within 30 feet or so, it has to pickup the signal before it can extend it. 

If  you don't have success you can consider the a mesh type (several overlapping repeaters)  system, consisting of 3 or 4 repeaters placed in your home.  I know of one system that a friend set up and he has excellent coverage with a large home to include his front porch and back deck.  These systems run about 250 dollars.
(Edited)