Why does Exede not offer a slower speed package?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Question answered. No need for further response at current time.

The speed that we get(when we arent crippled by the slowed speed after we use all of our data in 2 weeks), is very fast, in the 12-15M range. Problem with that is, the things you need that kind of speed for...IE videos/games/streaming, you can't even do because you'll use your entire usage allotment in a week. Why is there not a $39.99 5Meg speed, 10MB data allowance package? I could live with that amount of money(although thats what i paid for 10M speed and unlimited with DSL), rather than getting screwed out of $60/month for a service that is dang near unusable once excede slows our speed to sub 256K.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
People seem to forget that ViaSat's main reason for being in business is to make money (profit) for their shareholders. They are not a public utility. To do this they must offer a desired service at a competitive price that the market will bear. But the bottom line is the bottom line. The consumer has the responsibility to investigate and know what they are buying BEFORE making a commitment. Then they can take it or leave it.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
You can leave it, AFTER you complete your 2 year contract that many have been misled into...at which point Excede had collected their profit and could care less.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
The lesson to learn is to never believe everything the sales person tells you whether you are buying a house, a car or internet service. If you had done your homework, you would have known about data limits, 2-year commitments, and other customers' experiences BEFORE making the plunge. Don't blame others for your gullibility and/or laziness.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Lol, I'm glad all u have to do is research Internet providers that should provide a service that is worth the money. Me, I work for a living and have better things to do. Ill keep educating people on the misleading tactics of Excede when I get the chance, you keep name calling and researching away!
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Lol, I'm glad all u have to do is research Internet providers that should provide a service that is worth the money. Me, I work for a living and have better things to do. Ill keep educating people on the misleading tactics of Excede when I get the chance, you keep name calling and researching away!
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
I work hard for my money too. That's why I do my homework before giving it away. You should have spent as much time investigating Exede's claims as you are putting them down. It's your're own fault that you purchased a product that doesn't meet your needs. The great majority of Exede's customers never visit these forums because they are very happy with the service.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I've seen an awful lot of complaints with my same problem, alot of people out there upset with their tactics....I"ll continue to educate.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
For every one you see on here complaining, there are thousands of grateful customers with Exede who are very happy to have such a great internet provider, but they aren't on here complaining. Satellite internet is not meant to be used by those with other broadband services available to them. It is aimed at those of us beyond the cable systems and dsl providers, and we are very pleased with our service, after years of dial up internet. There is limited bandwidth available to each customer on a satellite, so unlimited streaming of tv, movies and music is just not part of this service.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I consider our family very average, we have cut out all streaming/gaming/youtube/etc and we are still going through bandwidth in less than 2 weeks. Unless you are a single person or maybe a retire couple that checks the weather and email and thats about it, you likely cannot stay under the extreme bandwidth limits of this service. A family with multiple devices doing much of anything at all is going to go through the data extremely fast. Keep in mind there is noone at our home through the day during the week, we are all at school or work.

I readily admit not doing enough research on this service, but I also call out the lack of explanation about how limiting this service is. I have no doubt they have some satisfied customers, albeit ones that don't use their internet much.
Photo of no name

no name

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Justin, you poor baby,didn't do your homework and is now crying about it. I spent two months looking at all the facts available and found Exede to be the best that fits my needs. As Steve points out, there are lots and lots of people who are very happy with Exede, I spend a good part of the day on the internet and know how to live within the limits. Go ahead and complain as much as you like, it provides amusing reading material.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Ahh more name callers, glad you could keep it civil no name!! You are not the audience I'm after, nor do I care about your insults....the people who read the comments, and steer away from the service are the folks I'm after. I'm certainly glad you are amused, stay tuned for more!
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Justin, when we set up Exede plans, we made the decision not to price our plans on speed but to give everyone our top speed. Package plans are based on data use, which works well for hundreds of thousands of our subscribers. There are a number of ways to manager your data use, including scheduling things during the Free Zone, keeping track of all the users on your network and being aware of your online activity. We're very up-front about what each of our plans delivers re. data, and our online plan selector tool allows people to estimate their usage. If you're looking for some help on managing data on your current plan, feel free to email exedelistens@viasat.com and someone can help you out.
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 47 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
The point i've been making is that I do have a handle on our internet usage, which i would consider very normal/average for a household of 4. And the only way we can possibly stay under the 10M data plan is to quit using our devices almost entirely, that is just a fact. I made an unfortunate assumption that a reputable company wouldn't provide a very expensive product that is sooo lacking, I was very much mistaken in this case.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.