Why do we lose our internet service when it rains?

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Questions answered. Email provided for assistance. No need of further response at current time.

why do i lose my satellite internet service when it rains. I also have satellite TV and only loose that service when there are thunderstorms. We pay alot for this wildblue and it is very frustrating to lose our service so frequently!
Photo of Susan Coulson

Susan Coulson

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Nancy Ring

Nancy Ring

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I know your pain. Mine does the same thing and when it is cloudy I can lose it. Phone the same way. If the clouds go over I lose connection til they move. May be a few seconds to an hour or so. Just depends. I guess that is what we have to put up with have a satellite system. 
Photo of Christina Reno

Christina Reno

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
not true, i am thinking it is just this company.  Thay sure dont forget to take the money, regardless if you have internet or not.  There have been times we went as much as two weeks without it working, then one it would just pop on.  Crazy.
Photo of Lake Country Satellite

Lake Country Satellite

• 140 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Has anyone actually called customer service to have them take a look at your signal to see if there is a problem? 

A properly working systems should NOT go out for a cloud or even light to moderate rain, UNLESS, the cloud is full of moisture.  If you shine a flashlight at the wall and put a piece of paper in front of it, what happens?  The light on the wall disappears..think of the satellite 22,300 miles in space as the flashlight beaming down to your dish, the wall.  Put something between the satellite, like a high density cloud, and your antenna, you will loose your connection briefly until the object, the cloud, has moved away.

It is the science of satellite technology.  I know what you are thinking, then why doesn't my TV go out?  Again, science at work, back to the flashlight principle only now you have two.  One pointed in one direction and the second pointed in another toward the wall.  Same sheet of paper or cloud might not block both.  Satellites are not all sitting at the same elevation in a straight line because the Earth is round.

So pick up the phone and call your LOCAL Exede dealer and let them know you are having a problem, if you went through one, if you didn't you should have.  Otherwise give customer service a call 866-945-3258 and have a technical support agent look at your signal.  And NEVER wait two weeks for your signal to just pop on....that's crazy.  They don't know you are having a problem unless you let them know....

Good, LOCAL Exede Dealers are everywhere, Elite one's like us take really good care of their customers to earn the Elite rating, if you find one, support them.  LOCAL dealers can be found at www.exede.com scroll to the bottom and click on find a local dealer and then enter your zip code and a list of dealers near you pops up.

David R Varner is an Elite Dealer for Exede and is a member of the Dealer Advisory Council to ViaSat.  david@lakecountrysat.com www.lakecountrysat.com

Photo of ExedeCrystal

ExedeCrystal

• 196 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Susan Coulson,

I can definitely understand your concern with losing internet every time it rains. With satellite technology, bad weather will impact your service temporarily. Sometimes it may be another issue like the dish may need to be realigned due to bad weather.l If your dish is misaligned far enough, it will impact your service in poor weather. We can certainly review your modem status in the system to see if there are any technical issues impacting your service. Please send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information for further assistance. Thanks.
Exede Crystal
Photo of Nancy Ring

Nancy Ring

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have called the local guy. He is the original one to lie to us. Not happy with him either. I have no idea why it happens. No one wants to come out and look at the equipment. If I go out there and wipe off the rain drops I get the service again when it rains just like direct tv. Both go out when it is cloudy as well. I was told by direct tv that was because the satellite couldn't receive signal through the clouds. That is their excuse every time I call about it going out because it is cloudy or raining. I just got more data so I was finally able to get into my yahoo account which I have issues with on exede. It rarely wants to come in. 

Lake Country Satellite

• 140 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Hi Nancy..I am sorry you are not happy with your LOCAL Exede Dealer.  If you send me a private email explaining your situation and what happened along with your dealers name and phone number and the name and phone number associated with your account, I will forward it on to his area sales manager to see what is going on.  Your service should not be going out every time a cloud comes along.  I am actually working now with a pretty heavy rain outside.

As my response above in a previous post explains satellite technology, you may also have a bad piece of equipment or your antennas may just need peaked or fine tuned so you receive the signal better.  Once you forward me the information I requested, I will get right to work for you and helping to resolve this problem.  david@lakecountrysat.com

David R Varner is an Elite Dealer for Exede and is a member of the Dealer Advisory Council to ViaSat.  www.lakecountrysat.com

Photo of Nancy Ring

Nancy Ring

• 9 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I doubt that will work since he owns the business. We told exede about it already. Not much anyone can do. It is why the local direct tv personnel won't train them anymore. They distanced themselves from his business. Now if you go through him for dish or direct tv, his people install it. Problem is, they don't tell you all the ins and outs like the others will. If direct tv hadn't been installed the very next day, I never would have known I had to watch the meter or to turn off all the auto downloads. They even walked me through step by step to stop all the videos and downloading from facebook. I am grateful they explained it to me and it wasn't even them installing it. They even showed me the exede.net which his guys never did. It was the direct tv installers who told me about the free time zone for us to watch videos and such and they even told us to get evolution. So you see, I don't think it will help since he owns the business and trains the people to do whatever he wants them to since he is the boss. I am very grateful to the direct tv installers though! Thank god they came the next day and gave me all the information!

Lake Country Satellite

• 140 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Nancy, again I am sorry you had a bad experience with the local dealer, this is not the norm.  Since you already told Exede about it hopefully someone will reach out to their area sales manager and bring them up to speed.  Sometimes, the important things do not get conveyed well enough to our customers.  But so glad another tech explained everything to you.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Hi Nancy,

Cloud cover and bad weather may take an occasional, typically minimal and temporary toll on your service. The microwaves that carry the Internet signal between the satellite and the ground have to pass through the atmosphere and, at times, stormy conditions, it's usually a temporary situation.

I would like the chance to discuss your account details and address your concerns.  Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact information and the best time to reach you.  Thanks.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.