Billy

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
Very close to me... both Viasat-1 and Viasat-2 plans have been closed to new subscribers for a couple months to prevent over subscription. 
(Edited)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 179 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
barg_ - Are you following Louisa County Broadband Authority? They are putting up towers for wireless service. If you are on FB, there is also a page for those working closely and interested in this topic. 

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3596 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
My county tried that. A complete joke. I am one mile from the tower but cant get service.
Photo of Billy

Billy

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The Louisa Broadband Authority is a joke, Working on it for years and no service yet.
We have no cell service at out location and even tried Hughes Net but the angle of their satellite won't work in our location. ViaSat 2 is our only hope. I check the web site every week in hope it will be available.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3596 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
Can you point okay at Viasat-2?
Photo of barg_

barg_

• 102 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I hang out here sometimes to see how Viasat is doing, because I always liked them better than Hughes, had Wildblue for years.  I also check for news if/when they will offer competitive plans in my area, which they don't now (Hn's $40 for two year plan offers more priority data than Viasat's cheapest plan in my zip at $100, almost double, counting the bonus zone though).  Most of my neighbors have satellite, Hughes, and it works (also Hughes because Viasat was closed for those years, and Exede 5 was very poor for those that used to have it).  Some of my neighbors can't get cell service.  And I am interested in the topic in general.  But, one Vz tower is 10 miles away from me, through some thick trees on my property.  The other new tower is 13 miles away but direct line of sight.  My booster antenna is pointed through the trees yet, haven't gotten around to trying the new tower.  So, I'm using Vz's new actually unlimited, HD streaming prepaid jetpack plan.  Used well over 70GB last month, probably close to 100 (I was messing with routers, actually lost track...).  So, as long as this keeps up, or my slower regional cell carrier keeps their option, or US Cellular keeps their (more expensive) home option, I don't need service but some people still do.  Here are tests, one from a while ago, one from about 8:10 pm the other night, if I put the right links.  It's fairly consistent, above 15 pretty much every time I check.  My towers aren't congested, not many people here.  http://www.speedtest.net/result/7863755847.png https://www.speedtest.net/android/4481801096.png

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 179 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Do you mean your service is down or no plans?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3143 Posts
  • 1116 Reply Likes
What Old Labs said (new Dog pic?)

Basically some areas we may temporarily halt new subscriptions due to high demand and limited availability (ie not enough bandwidth in that area to support). That does change time to time so I'd recommend checking every so often 
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 179 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
The reason I asked my question is because I am in 23024. I have service, as in the service is up and running. As a customer, I have never been offered Viasat-2 plans. There are plans available. 
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
Interesting... here's what I get for 23024:

at viasat.com/internet which shows a different number for ordering.
(Edited)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 179 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Weird. I used this link:  https://www.exede-sales.com

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
Looks like that's an "authorized" retailer in California DBA as Blacksheep Enterprises, LLC:

Heckuva drive to Virginia for install ;) There are a ton of those exede* domains registered some legit, some maybe not.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3133 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
As far as availability goes I'd recommend viasat.com/internet to see what's in the area