Why no help

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Why is no one trying to help. Calling customer service does no good. Emailing viasat listens does no good. There is a problem with the DNS servers that someone needs to look at. I think viasat is actually trying to get rid of long standing customers. When I called this morning and repeated my problem that's been going on for a month now, the rep actually ask me if I wanted to cancel service.
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 187 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 512 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
Are you on a 150 GB plan?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1857 Posts
  • 1073 Reply Likes
Would be my guess. Probably why he was asked if he wanted to cancel.

Get the message? They dont want you on that plan! Move on! Next!
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 187 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
No I am not. I'm on unlimited bronze 12. It's been fine up until a month ago. Check my other post to see the problem. It's their DNS servers.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1857 Posts
  • 1073 Reply Likes
Run through a VPN and don't deal with their DNS servers if that is the issue.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2365 Posts
  • 1435 Reply Likes
Might changing to a public DNS help?  Like Google's?  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1857 Posts
  • 1073 Reply Likes
Viasat captures the DNS even if you try an alternative. To bypass it, you run a VPN and then IF Viasat's DNS is a problem, it wont be anymore.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 411 Posts
  • 364 Reply Likes
You've been away too long! Actually you can specify your own DNS servers now and it appears to work as expected (I've been using Cloudflare for quite awhile now with no issues and don't really miss the DNS lookup issues of the past when using Viasat's). 

However if James is having the same recurring problem I'm having, it exhibits as Web Acceleration being disconnected on the modem status page (presumably at the gateway) and any and all DNS requests (regardless of server being used) aren't being satisfied when that happens. It used to be as I recall that things still worked with Web Acceleration off/disconnected but appears that is no longer the case as best I can determine. When it happens now you're SOL.    
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1857 Posts
  • 1073 Reply Likes
Yea. I just know Viasat has big blue light on the modem and it is better than cable. But yes, if the web acceleration is kicking out perhaps a bad modem, misaligned dish, or something of the sort.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 411 Posts
  • 364 Reply Likes
No you said Viasat captures DNS -  that appears to no longer be the case for some, myself included.

Nothing wrong with my modem and I experience it - but I've got a more reliable backup in place now).
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1857 Posts
  • 1073 Reply Likes
Yea as in yea you are right.

Maybe Viasat should be your unreliable backup if you experience problems like the OP!
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 411 Posts
  • 364 Reply Likes
That's what I meant to say and it is until checks out
(Edited)
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 187 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
It started working again late yesterday afternoon. I had called a second time and right away got a outage in your area message. Don't know why the CSR told me there was nothing he could do and then ask if I wanted to cancel service when I made the first call. It's working fine this morning. My problem is the same as yours Old Labs, web acceleration is disconnected when it is down, everything else looks fine. I had a complete reinstall about 6 months ago because I was having a different problem and my install was old. It had been working fine until about a month ago when this problem started. I am using google DNS server addresses. I am thinking about getting ATT fixed wireless for backup, if it works out I may just cancel Viasat. Been with them for 9 years. 
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 512 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
I am sure fixed wireless services vary a lot by location, but I have seen some crazy fast speeds posted by some users, that look like fiber speeds.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1857 Posts
  • 1073 Reply Likes
AT&T fixed wireless works pretty good. I wouldn't get it as a backup. It will out perform a Viasat Bronze plan for sure
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 187 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I'm not sure there is a tower close to me, but I get offers almost every week from them saying it's available to me and say it gets at least 10 down. It will have to be really good to beat my Bronze plan as I get between 17-20 down almost all the time. I don't need much data as I don't stream. I never go over my threshold of 40 gigs. But ATT gives 215 gigs with this plan. And there is this annoying problem now with Viasat that they can't seem to fix. I will probably get the fixed wireless and see. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1857 Posts
  • 1073 Reply Likes
Speed isnt everything. Dont discount low latency and reliability
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 411 Posts
  • 364 Reply Likes
Don’t fall for any ISP’s speed marketing hype and claims – truth be told most normal user activities don’t require much more than 10 Mbps – web surfing, email, streaming in less than 4K, etc. While higher speeds will give you quicker downloads, outside of being impatient there’s no real need for instantaneous downloads since you can just wait for them to complete. If those speed claims really meant anything there'd be no need to qualify them with "up to".

Other than that, higher speeds may be required depending on how many devices/user you expect simultaneously – remember that bandwidth is shared by all devices/users in your household. In case of Viasat, 2 of us share my 12 Mbps connection.

A more important consideration is latency, any land based, wireless or fixed wireless provider is going to blow satellite away in terms of latency.

For example, despite typically getting 6 Mbps with less than 100 ms latency on my mobile cellular connection pummels the greater than 600 ms latency on my 12+ Mbps satellite connection for most of my activities - it's primarily due to how web pages are satisfied with 10's or even 100's of requests - consider that each is incurring a latency hit.

Don’t get hung up on speed tests – they don’t reflect reality of how you may use the Interweb and frequently as we've seen here the results are simply claims to bragging rights. If you are a heavy downloader, have multiple devices/users active simultaneously, or simply want some speed test bragging rights higher speed will help. The greater speed will just cause most web sites to use even more of your priority data quicker.

Gaze deeply into my blue pulsating ring, you are growing sleepy....
(Edited)
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 187 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Speed is not a big concern for me. 10 down would be enough to do what I do even with the a large download every now and then. I rarely check my speeds. I'm the only one using my connection. I do have a couple of other devices on it, but only one is used at a time.