WHY IS VIASAT TRYING TO ATTRACT NEW CUSTOMERS USING THE NAME OF 'ELECTRA JOY' INTERNET ?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
SOLICITORS FROM 'ELECTRA JOY' INTERNET SERVICE HAVE BEEN ADVERTISING ON FACEBOOK IN MY AREA AS A 'NEW, FAST INTERNET COMPANY'.  I ASKED FOR A SALESMAN TO CALL ME FOR INFORMATION.  I ASKED WETHER THEY COVERED THE RURAL AREA I LIVE IN, THEY SAID PROBABLY, YES.  I CALLED THEM A LITTLE WHILE AGO, AND THE MENU JUST SAID TO PRESS 0 FOR A SALESMAN, NO MENTION OF ANY COMPANY NAME.  IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN I POINT BLANK ASKED HIM IF THIS WAS VIASAT, AND HE SAID 'YES MA'AM'...HOW INCREDIBLELY DECEPTIVE!!
Photo of DEEDEE PRESLEY

DEEDEE PRESLEY

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • MAD

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3463 Posts
  • 1297 Reply Likes
Hi DeeDee

That's probably a dealer in the area. Viasat is still only Viasat. 

Dealers on the other hand have their dealership names and are the ones posting the ads to get business in the area. That's done as an independent business which happens to sell our service and not as Viasat. 
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
And when they are deceptive as they are viasat declares it is not their fault or problem
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I wonder does Viasat do any vetting of their dealers and sub contractors?
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
From the experience I had with with mine I would think not really
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3463 Posts
  • 1297 Reply Likes
I can't really speak on what is done with hiring dealers/subcontractors as that's not something I personally do or mess with, but we do hold them accountable if they violate any of our practices or policies. Clearly if they are doing something in our name we want them to follow our rules.

Things like sending personalized bills, damage claims, etc we can work on that and DO want to know about it.

Things like ads (audio, TV, print ads) we can't really do anything about that on our end as that's something they do on their own accord as independent businesses. Signs on posts we ask that they abide by the local municipality's ordinances but if they are violating contact the local powers that be.
(Edited)
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 119 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Some companies care about how their products and services are perceived by customers, present and future. Costco, I believe, is very responsible. Not Viasat. How utterly deceptive and sloppy on their part. This isn’t much different from scam artists on the phone and on the computer, hoping to draw you in, only to manipulate you into paying them money. The word game is rigged in their favor in order to separate the customer from as much of his/her money as they can. That is the company directive, not to provide a service for a fair price. Kind of like some gas stations upping their prices after a hurricane destroys access for most. Same thing. Despicable.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
My local slime bucket lied to me over and over and viasat did not even care to answer my complaint. And YES they received my detailed complaint. Words mean nothing. Contracts on the other hand are the name of the game. To which most people do not throughly read . ( like me for example). It is OBVIOUS when I read all the complaints here and on the internet about viasat.

Best advice you can recieve is READ THE CONTRACT and know what is in it as the details will haunt you should you ever complain.
(Edited)
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 119 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Yep, I’m haunted. These contracts are full of double talk on purpose. You’d have to hire a lawyer to explain what they’re saying. Reading contracts will never keep us from falling into these traps. I don’t even remember seeing a contract,. As the companies were bought out and renamed,,,, this is all too confusing. They do this on purpose. From Wildblue, to Exede, to Viasat. I checked my file and am not seeing anything other than a one page installer order.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 311 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
They have a team of lawyers write the contracts for them, then it holds up in court when it is implied they can be read and understood by the average consumer "herein referred to as 'the subscriber' "  without any education in "law."

They make the contract 100% in their favor, up to and including their right to change the terms of the agreement at any time.

They lock subscribers in guaranteeing payment for a required length of time, or pay a penalty, with no legal recourse against sub standard service or quality.  They only accept "auto pay" thus making it extremely difficult to dispute charges or withhold payment.

One can only assume the "contracts" entered into by their "independent local representatives" are similar in nature.  Obviously it absolves Viasat from any liability for any claims made by those authorized representatives.

They dont care about "service," they dont care about their subscribers.  All they care about is big money investors, and the way to get them is to lock more, and more unsuspecting consumers into those ironclad 2 year contracts.  A current subscriber leaves, who cares, lock in 2 more!  Current subscribers are unhappy with their service, who cares, the more we slow them down, the more we can squeeze on the system.  When word gets around and they get a reputation, they simply change their name and start a new sales drive for a "new" internet provider.  New name, new subscribers, NEW INVESTORS!

Sooner or later its all going to blow up in their face, and just like any other pyramid scheme, those at the top will walk away rich and everybody at the bottom is screwed, and the subscribers are left with NOTHING.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 119 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Well said. You nailed it.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 361 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
I think they call that churning.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Now that is telling the whole story/painting the picture in a way that cannot be described any clearer. Wow!