Why is it so slow this weekend?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Internet is painfully slow on upload. I have the new Silver "unlimited" plan. I was told by customer service that it's happening to many people in "my area" due to weather. Really? It's been two days! There's not a cloud in sight and I just checked the weather map and not a single storm on the entire east coast! Clearly I'm being lied to. I use this internet for my home business. Occassional outages, ok, I get it. But this is rediculous.
Photo of Obama's reptilian brain

Obama's reptilian brain

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • you know.

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 269 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Hope your not in Central Va, it is notoriously bad for service.

Obama's reptilian brain

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I (((see))). Is that where (((they))) are doing (((research)))>>>???
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 268 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
It's entirely possible it could be due to weather at your gateway. For example on Viasat-1, a few gateways are located in the northern Rockies and high plains that were being hit by a major storm this weekend.

Although I'm located in Virginia  my gateway is in Lovelock, NV far from that major storm - in other words my traffic goes up to the satellite from Virginia and back down through NV and before reversing for the return trip.That holds for nearly everybody else in Virginia on Viasat-1. An outage in Lovelock affects a large porting of the mid-atlantic for those on Viasat-1.

Unfortunately, Viasat hasn't shared beam coverage areas and associated gateways on Viasat-2. New silver plan sounds like Viasat-2 - white triangular prism shaped modem?

Everything's fine in central VA on Viasat-1 Beam 329.  
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1414 Posts
  • 838 Reply Likes
Doubtful it is the weather. You must be new to satellite internet? You will learn to take anything customer service says with a grain of salt, a service on weekends can be slow in general. Just wait until December. You ain't seen nothing yet!

Dances with Woofs

• 268 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
Yet possible in the areas hit by 4 feet of snow this weekend. If it's plan related you know the question - what's your priority data status?

Dismissing it as being lied to is a bit premature based on the info provided.

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1414 Posts
  • 838 Reply Likes
True. But more times than not anything the first level customer service group says is well you know.

Dances with Woofs

• 268 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
True, but congestion rarely impacts upload as he claims. Not sure why it wouldn't similarly affect download at the gateway if weather. Could be anything at this point
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1414 Posts
  • 838 Reply Likes
Yep. With satellite internet you have one person who thinks it delivers perfect, cable like service while another cant even do his work!

Obama's reptilian brain

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It's nuts. I'm in Maryland. My download is pretty good (for satellite) but the upload is painfully slow. Why??? 
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 269 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Define slow upload.

Dances with Woofs

• 268 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
Good point - residential upload speed is "up to" 3 Mbps.

And which modem do you have there in MD?  

(Edited)

Obama's reptilian brain

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have the WiFi Modem, and my upload is less than 1, maxes out at 1.09. That's slower than usual. I have had Exede for three years, so this isn't my first rodeo. I am in the middle of nowhere Maryland, so there is really no other option. Used to have Surfbeam 2, that was worse.

Dances with Woofs

• 268 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
That's Viasat-1 with that modem. Most of Maryland is serviced by the Lovelock  NV gateway. A smaller portion is serviced by the Winnipeg gateway - check the weather there.

May not be your first rodeo but it is your first rodeo here since you joined the community today, so pardon the questions until we get to know your parameters but that particular modem isn't exactly a powerhouse if using WifI - most here opt for a betteer WiFi router of their own. But good luck.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1414 Posts
  • 838 Reply Likes
That modem will heat your home though!
Photo of Robin

Robin

• 116 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Ive not experienced any slowness over the weekend.  One might guess it could be caused by the NFL games going on and cord cutters.  But here I had a consistent 35 or better down and 3-4 up and had a good consistent TV picture..
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 269 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Do you know anything about satellite internet other than posting your speeds over,and over,and over again? Weekends are bad most of the time due to congestion. Most people have weekends off, from preschoolers all the way up to 65 year old executives. Internet use becomes heaviest on weekends. NFL games???? Are you kidding me?
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 269 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Do you know anything about satellite internet other than posting your speeds over,and over,and over again? Weekends are bad most of the time due to congestion. Most people have weekends off, from preschoolers all the way up to 65 year old executives. Internet use becomes heaviest on weekends. NFL games???? Are you kidding me?

Obama's reptilian brain

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@ Homeskillet, why are you so rude?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2159 Posts
  • 1324 Reply Likes
There's a history, and it's not good.  
Photo of Robin

Robin

• 116 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
also home shopping is a big deal on weekends.....that doesnt help the congestion

Obama's reptilian brain

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ah (((yes))) shopping... capitalism (what they WANT you to do...) spend spend... don't save... is it all an illusion???

Obama's reptilian brain

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My audience,

You have helped me tremendously. Due to your illustrious thinking and spot-on dedicated help, I have successfully navigated the waters of the slow internet.

Now, if only we could get some real answers about the BRAIN Initiative, we'd be getting somewhere...