Why did my internet useage shot up overnight. 150gb doesnt happen overnight?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I noticed after a few days into the cycle my internet slowed down. There wasnt anything obvious to find where it was going. i have a pw on my router and its a hard one to figure out. noone was piggybacking and its only my computer and wifes phone. cannot for the life of me where it went.
Photo of Keeter Norton

Keeter Norton

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3137 Posts
  • 3086 Reply Likes
To save me some typing, see my reply at:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/4-gb-in-one-day-and-havent-been-on-internet-hardly-at-all?t...

You need to independently determine your usage and verify it against the Exede usage meter.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2824 Posts
  • 1141 Reply Likes
My neighbor, who just got internet had the same thing happen. He didn't listen when I told him to change his Windows update settings. Both of his computers upgraded to Windows 10, then proceeded to update themselves, then sent all of those updates out to other users over the internet.

He thought he had 30 GB so, he updated his cell phones and got a few apps on them too. Used 174 GB overnight. Oops.

Yes that's what Windows 10 will do if you don't change some settings.
1. Set to metered connection - that stops downloads of updates.
2. Set updates to only be shared with your LAN - that stops Windows form uploading updates to the internet but, still lets all computers on your home network update from the one download you manually allow.