Why cap video resolution on unlimited plans?

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Answered
What is the purpose of capping the video resolution on unlimited plans?  The customer is paying for 150GB of priority data, why not let the customer use their data how they wish?
Granted, after getting de-prioritized, the customer may not be able to get speeds capable of streaming HD video (or speeds enough to do much of anything) depending on time of day.

Since it's been proposed that I should wait for Viasat-2 to come online and hope for a good plan, I am using a cellular hotspot (much too expensive) while waiting to get satellite.
I missed the window of getting 150GB for $100 that a neighbor has (guessing it's a Freedom plan) as I hadn't finished building my house.  Now I'm only seeing Liberty 12GB thru 50GB plans and Silver Unlimited.  Still checking often hoping to find a good plan, but having video resolution capped is unacceptable for any cost.  Really hoping that after V2 is ready, video resolution caps go away.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3966 Reply Likes
Can't speak for Viasat, but I see it as simple network management (i.e. overall bandwidth management) at least for now - there's insufficient overall bandwidth to have everybody streaming at higher resolutions and it yields/forces more efficient utilization of what little bandwidth is available for now  - most aren't going to go over the 150GB with that video throttling in place although some undobtedly will undoubtedly with large downloads (with a download speed isn't as much of a factor - yeah it's nice if you're the type who sits and watches a progress bar but you can always wait or do something better with your time).

When you've got a tin can floating above the equator with a total capacity of 140 Gbps it sounds like a lot until you try to spread it fairly amongst 589,000 subscribers at last count - network management becomes crucial until more capacity is in service up there at which point the cycle of exhausting it starts all over again. 
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Network congestion would take care of it then.  If too many people try to watch HD video at the same time, the congestion will make it unwatchable.  But during times when it's not congested, HD video would be possible.  I guess maybe Viasat just doesn't want people complaining that speeds are too slow for HD video?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3966 Reply Likes
And we're seeing that network congestion - it wouldn't necessarilly be unwatchable. Most video sreaming content providers use adpative bitrate streaming anyway and it would drop down to the lower resolution automatically - as I said Viasat is simply trying to stretch what currently available bandwidth they have while everybody goes oooh and aah over "unlimited" - effectively Stephen Rice does the same thing on a simple Liberty Plan by shifting his usage to off peak hours and leveraging his Liberty Pass at around $60 per month. Many won't or can't take the time and effort to do that. It's not about us as customers, it's about managing the limited overall bandwidth while keeping ARPU rising. A cynical view maybe, but realistic...

Even I get by nicely on 12 GB per month and a minimal free zone by efficiently using my data.
(Edited)
Photo of Concentric Circles

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
At least on my account, you can turn the 480 p limitation off, easily
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3474 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
The video restriction will remain in place when Viasat-2 comes online. Now, you might see higher video levels, but of course that is going to cost more $$$$$.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3121 Posts
  • 1100 Reply Likes
Hi Ken,

Simply it has a lot to do with bandwidth as the above replies suggest. Satellite internet has a set amount of bandwidth we can support over our entire customer base so as a result we had to set a limit on resolution to a level where we could give customers a better experience from the days of set hard data limits but not cause issues across the board while doing so.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
So then the plans of user-choice video resolution with a large amount of priority data are going away entirely? (I know upcoming plans info isn't known, or at least isn't released yet).  I'm just worried as a potential customer that to get a good amount of priority data, I will be required to get an unlimited plan with video resolution capped.
Photo of Concentric Circles

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
If they were being fair about it, then they would just turn on the resolution-cap when you go over a certain amount of data, but give you plenty of bandwidth to browse the web or download files over longer periods of time.  You could be limited to 2 MPS and hardly notice. 
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2237 Posts
  • 1110 Reply Likes
Capped video resolutions are on unlimited plans so that people can come here to complain.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
It's working!
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Ok, so now that new unlimited plans are revealed and they have a much reduced priority data amount, why not removed the video resolution cap and use the video data extender (default to enabled)?  That would let the user decide if they want to burn through their priority data watching higher rez video or conserve priority data by watching lower rez.
Photo of Joy Freeman

Joy Freeman

• 12 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
What is the "much reduced priority data amount"? Are you talking about the 140 GB with 480p? I think that's what the unlimited silver plan is that I'm on.

I know that if I want to watch HD, all I need do is download the movie and then watch it instead of streaming. So there really isn't a cap, per se, just a throttle, and that only on streaming. This works out just fine for me. I guess it could be a problem for others.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2250 Posts
  • 1949 Reply Likes
Joy, the "new" silver plan is capped at 60Gigs.  The old Silver plan was capped at 150Gigs
Photo of VinylHanger

VinylHanger

• 39 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Yep, I'm late toi the party learni mg about downloading HD. Just ordered a cable so I can connect my ohone. We have hit our silver limit at 150, so I've been downloading at local hotspots. Roku casting is hit or miss, so I went with the cable. I'm excited to watch in HD, with no data use. Now our 150 gigs will last all month.
(Edited)