Why cant we roll over unused data

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: old thread

we have to buy data if we use our allotment up, then what cant we roll over data if we don't use it all?
Photo of Chris Kelly

Chris Kelly

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Billy Hearnsberger

Billy Hearnsberger

• 59 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Uh...they would not make nearly as much money.. 
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Chris,
I have to agree with you on this one. Cell phone company rollover the minutes, so it's not a hard thing to do. And at $10 a pop for an additional Gig, it's not cheap. I do think the price should be half as much or less for people who have already paid for the monthly instalment.

We have thought about times during the holidays when we might want to watch a couple of movies when the kids are visiting. At $10 to $15 extra for the download Gig's required for a movie from NetFlix or Amazon, we might as well buy the DVD.

Ya, I do not have many issues with Exede, but this one, I would like to see changed.

Everett
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
Very few cell companies roll over unused minute, and don't roll over unused data. That used to happen years ago, but even unlimited minutes and data are going by the way of the dial phones, the exception being Sprint, who is near bankruptcy at this time and laying off half their workforce.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
AT&T as well as T-mobile just started rolling over data. Once AT&T does it Verizon is soon to follow for sure. IF it was something that "happened years ago" it making a well received welcome to all AT&T users. 
Photo of Billy Hearnsberger

Billy Hearnsberger

• 59 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Most business decisions are based on maximizing profits..Some call it corporate greed..This company as well as most others will charge as much as they think they can to maximize profits..Since most Exede customers have only one other option for their service both companies are able to charge as much as they think their customers are willing to pay..It's really not about what 's fair or just making a fair profit..

Photo of Six Pack

Six Pack

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Would that be called price fixing and that is illegal.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
It's not price fixing unless the companies are establishing the price of a product or service, rather than allowing it to be determined naturally through free-market forces. I don't think the big corporations are much different than me as a small business owner. I charge what the market will bear. If customers do not think I am worth my price, I will either have to lower my price or go out of business.
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
The only cell phone that I know of that over rolls data is Tracfone. Husband and I each have tracfone for use away from home. No cell signal where we live. But we have had car trouble on road and used phone. Or letting one of the children know  were on our way. Things like that. You get 90 days and I get triple minutes came with phone and husband has double. So we have to put more minutes on every three months. It's a bear to reactivate those phones. So here we have all these minutes that roll over. OH MY!!!! Think we have around a 1000.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Hi Chris,

Nearly every internet service provider these days has a data cap. In recent
years, a primary reason why we see providers use data caps is that more
consumers are using video over the Internet. Video uses a lot of bandwidth, and
networks would be overloaded if limits were not imposed on usage.

It goes back to the network bandwidth capacity.  Offering roll over data is the same as offering higher data plans.  Due to space limitations, we are not able to offer such a service at this time. 
Photo of Bill

Bill

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I disagree with this. I had cable and had lightening fast speeds and unlimited data at $29.99/month. I also had DSL from the phone company with quick speeds and no data cap at $39.99/month. Now I have a much slower, by a lot, with a measly $10GB Data Plan for more than twice what I was paying. As far as rolling over, We pay upfront for the amount of data in out plan, if it is not used, you are stealing my data back for your own profitability. If you purchase a tank full of gas, and you do not use it all, would you want Exon to come take it back out of your fuel tank, or you purchase 2 dozen eggs at the supermarket, which has a best used by date on the cartons, and you only use 1.5 of the 2 dozen, how would you react if sais supermarket came into your home and stole the remaining 1/2 dozen? What is being done to the public is nothing less that thuggey and thievery plain and simple. And let's not get on the bandwagon that no one else rolls over, because they are also nothing but common thieves.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I agree Bill it would be nice to have but as Karmin stated if you have 650k Exede customers all trying to watch a 480P video at once it would crash there network. The capacity of the satellite just will now allow that to happen.  Same thing with land based service they had to look at there infrastructure and know what the capabilities are of it when they offer service.  Again it goes back to how technology is changing and how the internet is changing and that people are watching more and more videos online.  Not to mention Amazon instant video, Netflix, all your TV networks offering there shows on there websites to catch up on if you missed it when it aired.  All these factors have to be considered when companies try to offer you internet and offer it fairly to all there customers. 
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Okay so we can't have roll over unused data. So I'm going to USE every bit of my data allowance no matter that you send me notices that I have used 70% of data. I'm using all my data up before I get my new 10 gigs.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Lol that's OK I used to do that on HughesNet last 3-4 days we would see what was left and use most of it up
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
HMC, go for it! We send that 70% notice so you don't hop online one day to find you're DAP'd with no warning.
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
I know but I do have 2 program tracking my usage. 
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
I guess because I'm-a  older person but I just can't see watching movie,etc on a computer. I like watching movie and things on TV. It's not because I have a tiny computer screen because I don't. I have desktop with 22" screen. Like I say guess because I'm old and set in my ways. :-)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
HMC,

With the right cable connections between the TV and Computer you can have it both ways. But then there's that problem of actually getting the movies downloaded on a limited data plan.   
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 560 Posts
  • 397 Reply Likes
I have a computer hooked up to a 50" TV and a surround sound system. You can hook a computer up to pretty much any TV made in the last several years.

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
And with the newer TVs, or a $50 Blu-ray player, you don't even need a computer to watch NetFlix, YouTube, Hulu, etc.  WiFi access is built in to the TV or Blu-ray player.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Very true Jep pretty much all modern electronics are available with wired or wireless networking in them
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
And thus they become very aggressive at consuming data.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Exactly Steve and rolling over unused data would just mean more overloaded systems.  Say I only use 7 of 10GB of my data and roll over the last 3 well now next month I now have 13GB to use so I watch more movies or download more stuff in the end that means heavier usage on there network (more bandwidth usage) resulting in more congested systems and more complaints of slow speeds. 
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Someone else who see's the not so obvious unintended consequence of roll over on satellite ;)  
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Well what about the great gig give away. There was a lot of people taking advantage of that and getting it before all there gigs were used up. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.