• 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 831 Posts
  • 692 Reply Likes
I'll tell you......but then I have to....well, you know LOL

The beams on VS1 were oversold AND....AND customer usage has increased and continues to dramatically increase day by day. So even as customers "fall off" it isn't doing anything to alleviate congestion. Personally I don't see a solution. 

Andy
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is so frustrating. I had this installed Thursday. Didn't work. They came out yesterday and reinstalled it. Still nothing. I call and they get to a certain point of helping me. Usually about 30 minutes in. And their system is rebooting and they can't look up my account. The latest reason is it's my modem and they cannot send a technician out because it's something they can fix. But he didn't know how. So they placed me on hold and left me out to dry. I've called several times each day. I agree with you tho. Seems like the bandwidth can't handle it.
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My download is between 300kbps and 800 kbps. My upload is 0.02 - 0.58. roughly.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2988 Posts
  • 1041 Reply Likes
How is your usage Chris? Do you still have priority data?
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My usage is practically unused. Haven't been able to since I got it installed.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2988 Posts
  • 1041 Reply Likes
I know you've already called in and I don't know if I'll be able to make much more of a difference but could you email me at viasatlistens@viasat.com? I can take a look, see if there's anything that can be done and offer a solution one way or another
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I sent an email in
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. This whole experience has been a nightmare
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 831 Posts
  • 692 Reply Likes
Are you on VS1 or VS2? Easy to tell, if you modem is white and triangular in shape you are on VS2. If you ARE on VS2, what speed are you supposed to have?

Andy
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Vs2. 12 Mbps is what they said.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 810 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Okay, thanks, it's always easier once I know if we are talking about apples or oranges. 

Do me a favor and type 192.168.100.1 in the address bar and press enter. This will bring up your modem internal information. There are 2 numbers I need to know 1) the FL (RX) SNR and 2) Cable resistance. Both of these are at the top under the General heading. 

Andy
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Fl snr is 3.8-4.2. resistance is 1.4
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Anything I can do on my end to make this work?
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 810 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Those numbers are right in line with where they ought to be. I was kinda hoping the resistance was going to be off the charts high or signal super low. 

The problem almost HAS to be on Viasat's end. 

I had a customer a while back that I installed and we could never get a speed test above 500kbps. In THIS case it turned out the promo had changed 3 weeks before but we had built this customer's acct before it had changed and the system simply couldn't "swallow" this guy being activated under an old promo. 

IF you know anyone else who has gotten Viasat recently in your area you could compare speeds that they are seeing. Check to see if you have a local dealer, if so, call them and see what they say about your speeds. They may tell you "yep, kinda sucks huh?" or they may tell you that something is wrong on your end. Your local retailers IS the expert.

Andy
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'll look into that.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1666 Posts
  • 984 Reply Likes
Fl snr is 3.8-4.2. resistance is 1.4
That 3.6-4.2 shows the signal level is in the toilet.  Your signal is barely distinguishable from noise.  A level of 6.5 as a minimum is what installers should be going for (take the time to aim dish dead-on right).  A level of 9+ will be near-perfect.  Installers are too lazy to do installs right.  If nothing else works, (different TRIA, better aim, maybe better coax), then a much larger dish is needed.  When the signal to noise ratio is so low, (signal is barely greater than noise) what miracle do installers expect the system to perform?   You have a crappy install (which may include defective equipment).   

If your install is less than 90 days old, DEMAND tech come back and fix that thing.
Your install is guaranteed for 90 days, or here is your way out of your contract.

I'm done here, let the flames come but I'm not defending what I said by giving a course on minimum levels above noise to make a system like this work. That install is crap and that's all there is to it.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3070 Posts
  • 1745 Reply Likes

Well....given that Andy is a reputable installer that knows what he is doing, I will wait to see what he has to say.  We are talking about a Viasat-2 install.  I believe Andy said the scale appears to be different on it.

Incidently, I am 4.9 right now.  Viasat engineers have looked at it.  I am on a beam edge.  Under optimum conditions I can't get 6.5.

Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 810 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
VetSat is spot-on. J&J, those kind of signal levels are perfectly normal with VS2 Large Beam installs. I just checked mine and it is 4.0. My skin is pretty thick.....I sell satellite internet for a living, it's gotta be.....so don't worry if you are concerned you might have offended me. Compared to my VS1 signal levels....YES, it would seem to be in the toilet. Actually however my VS2 stays online in bad weather comparable to what my VS1 does. 

The highest level I've seen in my VS2 beam is 5.2 and I danced a jig. 

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3070 Posts
  • 1745 Reply Likes
Does Viasat-2's position result in lower signal strength numbers? It is a lot closer to the equator.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 432 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
Aren't ALL Geosynchronous satellites, by definition, on the Equator?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3070 Posts
  • 1745 Reply Likes
I am not sure.  I just know the angle get a Viasat-2 is a LOT lower.  So something is different.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 810 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
VetSat, I have no idea why the numbers are so much lower. I've asked and been ignored....totally. 

As far as satellite location vs signal goes, VS2 is positioned so that the "look" angle is much higher so it is going through less atmosphere which should equate to higher signal AND less drops in bad weather. 

Andy
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1666 Posts
  • 984 Reply Likes
@  Andy Schack

You said..
....so don't worry if you are concerned you might have offended me.
You are one of the exceptions concerning installers.  That message was not directed at you. My message goes out to the installers that put in marginal systems and it's only marginal because that's the way they did their job.  It makes me wonder how many people have lousy service because that's the best their system can do as a result of the quality of the job the installer did.

The levels provided by Chris Brewer also may be acceptable as you have said.  I had not considered the possibility ViaSat may have made that reading a simple scale rather than actual dB.  

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3070 Posts
  • 1745 Reply Likes
Yes. There are a lot of bad installs out there, and they certainly don't help Viasat's reputation in the marketplace.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 711 Posts
  • 402 Reply Likes
Aren't ALL Geosynchronous satellites, by definition, on the Equator?
No.  The type used by ViaSat, however, are in a type of geosynchronous orbit known as a geostationary orbit, and these ARE directly above the equator, at 22,236 miles altitude.  
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 89 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
When my installer came out a few years ago to troubleshoot, he spent most of his time bad mouthing Viasat to me because he felt they did not pay him enough.
When I asked him why he stayed, he said that he just got out of prison and jobs were hard to find for him.

Michael McDowell

• 432 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
GabeU:

Thanks!  I just thought the term were synonymous!  I learned something new today!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 711 Posts
  • 402 Reply Likes
You've very welcome.  :)  

Michael McDowell

• 432 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
OK, I could probably Google this, but,  If Geo-SYNCHRONOUS sats orbit at 22,500 miles  like Geo-STATIONARY sats,  don't the orbits have to cross somewhere?  What is to prevent  interference between them?  Are they actually assigned orbital slots that won't interfere with the geostationary sats?  Would that further limit slots for sats  in geostationary orbit? Hope this question isn't too dumb, I obviously don't know much about orbital  dynamics!
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 711 Posts
  • 402 Reply Likes
Good question.  I think it's probably a combination of the brainiacs working out their paths and the fact that, in reality, because the orbits are so huge and the satellites so small, there's probably a better chance of someone winning the lottery, twice, than two satellites hitting each other.   When a satellite actually crosses another's path it's only for a split second, and that other satellite would have to be right there in order for them to hit.  

Plus, I believe all active satellites have propulsion systems that allow them to be able to move by small amounts, if they need to.  Geostationary satellites need to do this every now and again in order to stay in the same place.  

Satellites have collided before, but one was dead and couldn't be controlled.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_satellite_collision

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3070 Posts
  • 1745 Reply Likes
Well...there was also the movie Gravity :)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 711 Posts
  • 402 Reply Likes
Darn, that's right!  I forgot all about that.  

Michael McDowell

• 432 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
Yeah,  did a little math.  The circumference of the geostationary orbit is about 165,000 miles.  So 1 deg separation would be over 458 miles, and even 0.1 deg separation would be almost 46 miles! Interesting!

I think the last movie I watched was "The Martian".  Good movie!
(Edited)

Michael McDowell

• 432 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
GabeU:

Yeah, something the size of a school bus parked every 46 miles WOULD leave pleanty of room between them and the odds of a collision  would seem to be pretty small! 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 711 Posts
  • 402 Reply Likes
Michael, 

Plus, geosynchronous satellites use all kinds of different orbit paths, so the chances of them even getting that close to each other is minimal.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3070 Posts
  • 1745 Reply Likes
But it happened to Sandra Bullock!
(Edited)

Michael McDowell

• 432 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
I'll have to watch it sometime!
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 810 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
That'll be 1 hr 31 min you won't get back

Andy
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 711 Posts
  • 402 Reply Likes
Really, Andy?  You didn't like it?  

Though I found some of it wildly inaccurate, as did many who watched it (she didn't need to let him go, in reality), I still thought it was a fun film.  

Michael McDowell

• 432 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
Not much else on tv  now except reruns.  At least I haven't seen it yet.  I think my son has it  on his Plex server and I have a copy of his stuff.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3099 Posts
  • 1762 Reply Likes
But Viasat is advertising nationwide broadband. That would be 25Mbps.
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That's what nabbed me in. I'm in an area that has to have satellite internet. They sounded better than hughesnet.. but now I'm reconsidering. The price in understandable considering .. and I wouldn't mind the price.. if I could use the service..LOL. my speed just spiked at 630kbps.
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 719 Posts
  • 406 Reply Likes
Oh, my.  Your download speed is bad, but your upload speed is almost non existent.  Wow.  That's just....awful.  
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes.. yes it is.. and they don't know what to do to fix it.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3082 Posts
  • 1752 Reply Likes

Subs on Viasat-2 appear to have some issues...

Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
More than I want to deal with. I'm cancelling service on it. Won't send a technician out cause it's speed related . Too much headache
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3082 Posts
  • 1752 Reply Likes
Why did you subscribe in the first place?
Photo of Ivan Bludnik

Ivan Bludnik

• 76 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Perhaps because he assumed that there were enough regulatory safeguards in place to prevent a large American company from lying.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3082 Posts
  • 1752 Reply Likes
Well, I was looking more for what he had BEFORE, and why he switched. 
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Brewer

Chris Brewer

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I moved out into a remote area. I had uverse which was the best I have ever seen. There's no fiber-optic this far out. So satellite is pretty much my only option
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3082 Posts
  • 1752 Reply Likes
So there is Viasat and Hughesnet. Not a lot of difference between the two. I generally prefer Viasat, but both services get pretty low customer satisfaction ratings. Just have tempered expectations and you will be fine.
Photo of chris

chris

• 14 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
My modem's built in WIFI was for some reason extremely slow.  <1mbps... when I plugged my laptop in via ethernet it was  >20mbps. Plugged in my own router and I now get 1 - 40 mbps depending on the time of day.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 810 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
VS1 wifi modem (black one with illuminated blue circle on the side when working) or VS2 wifi modem (white one that is triangular in shape)?

My first thought would be that it is the black wifi modem....my own experience is that the wifi on this modem has a lot to be desired. I sold MANY Netgear routers to customers when we were having to install those modems. 

Andy
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
This is what my speed has looked like for the last couple months (see screenshot below). I'm on the older freedom plan that offers 150 GB and promises 25 MB down...which at first it actually delivered. The irony is I pay an extra $10 a month to get 25 MB rather than only 12 MB. Seriously.

And now I get mailings every day encouraging me to upgrade so I get on the new satellite. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. If they actually delivered what they advertise upgrading would have been a total no-brainer, instead I have ZERO trust of the company, so why upgrade so I can get screwed worse?

The fact that the new plan does not advertise what approx speeds will be when they "prioritize data" also gives people on the older 150 GB limited reason to upgrade. Why the heck would I want to change plans to a 100 GB plan that "prioritizes data" when they won't give any clue what that means?

At this point I'm just relying on hot spots most of the time, which blow away exede and give me functioning internet.

BTW, the new browser, is that a joke? THAT is what they are spending company resources on?! This isn't 1995. AOL and Compuserve are gone. I know, I know, it's so they can set the landing page and make more money. But come on.

(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 810 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
I personally love the browser. It works WAY better than Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.

Andy
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
When they figure out how to provide better than dial up speeds maybe I'll become interested in trying their browser :-p. Actually, no I won't. I'll use browser that has hundreds of thousands of plugins.

Also, "works WAY better than" does not exactly enlighten anyone :-p. But I didn't intend to turn this into a debate about the browser, I'm just a bit frustrated at the moment.

It's a bit conspiratorial, but there is a part of me that actually wonders if they purposely screwed up speeds to get people to upgrade their plans to the new satellite. It was right about then that my speed took a crap.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3070 Posts
  • 1745 Reply Likes
I have never tried it. I use Firefox almost exclusively now. Since the Viasat browser is Chrome based, it doesn't appeal to me as much.
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Please cancel my last reply (don't appear to be able to delete it). As I said i didn't intend to turn this into a browser debate. And my comments about plugins was probably wrong if it is chromium based.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 711 Posts
  • 402 Reply Likes
I watched the video about the ViaSat browser vs Chrome.  Eh, I'm sorry, but something just seems a little fishy with that video.  Those ViaSat browser pages seem to open just a little too quickly and evenly for me to believe that the cache had been cleared.   Maybe it's legit, but it just looks suspicious to me.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3070 Posts
  • 1745 Reply Likes
Interesting theory David. Hughesnet pulled that on me. I had a grandfathered plan, but it was no longer "optimized" for the latest tech, and speed got slower and slower.

As Viasat continues to bleed subs, that is why they are no longer counting them as a measurable and have to continue to roll out plan changes costing more $$$$ to generate more revenue.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 711 Posts
  • 402 Reply Likes
David, 

Unfortunately, once there's a post after yours, whether the reply was to your post or a previous one, you can't edit or delete the post.  

Michael McDowell

• 432 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
My speed is in dumpster tonight, has been pretty bad the last couple of days.  It did the same thing for a few days about 2 to 3 months ago.  Makes me wonder if they don't have some way of creating "rolling"  data "brownouts"
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
In my case every once in a while my speeds would go back to normal for several hours and shoot all the way back to 25 MB. Then back to sub 1 MB. I've been stuck at sub 1 MB for weeks now.

But how it happens suggests to me it is not a normal congestion issue, it's something else. You don't go from 25 MB speeds one day to 1 MB the next day out of nowhere if it's just too many subscribers. And then out of nowhere back up to 25 MB for a day and then back down.

So maybe things got changed on the network that caused it. Or maybe it's router issue.
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
To my eyes this looks fine - here are what my signal levels look like if someone more knowledgeable can comment. Again, I'm on version 1 satellite and getting sub 1MB speeds on a connection that advertises 25 MB speeds (and even charges me an extra $10 a month for the "boost" to 25 MB).

Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 810 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
From an installer's point of view, everything looks perfect. Your slow speeds are on Viasat's end. Too many customers, not enough bandwidth. 

Andy

Michael McDowell

• 432 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
Sometimes rebooting the system (modem and router) can make a big difference. Yesterday I tried to download a couple Linux distributions. At first I was only getting about 112Kbps downloads and they kept failing.  After I rebooted the system my speed improved to over 4MBps, for a while, and I was able to download four separate distros before things slowed down for the evening.  Tonight, rebooting didn't make a bit of difference!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3070 Posts
  • 1745 Reply Likes
I restart my modem everyday, just in case it does make a difference. Usually it doesnt...lol.

Like Andy said, some beams are just getting hammered at certain times of the day. The "unlimitef" plans last September only accelerated this problem.
(Edited)
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thank Andy. As far as too many customers, here is why I am skeptical there is something more to it than that. For one thing, there is 0 time dependence. Don't you think I might see better performance at 3 in the morning vs 3 in the afternoon if it was congestion related? Instead it's incredibly consistent.

And why would I be sailing along at 25 MB and then one day out of nowhere go to sub 1 MB? Then back up to 25 MB a few times and then back to 1 MB non-stop?

Of course that could still be entirely about not enough bandwidth if they made changes on the network end that suddenly certain beams got overloaded. But wouldn't there at least be some changes based on time of day? And what's up with the upload speed staying good, all things considered?

I'm not arguing, I'm asking.

Thanks
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Thank Andy. As far as too many customers, here is why I am skeptical there is something more to it than that. For one thing, there is 0 time dependence. Don't you think I might see better performance at 3 in the morning vs 3 in the afternoon if it was congestion related? Instead it's incredibly consistent.

And why would I be sailing along at 25 MB and then one day out of nowhere go to sub 1 MB? Then back up to 25 MB a few times and then back to 1 MB non-stop?

Of course that could still be entirely about not enough bandwidth if they made changes on the network end that suddenly certain beams got overloaded. But wouldn't there at least be some changes based on time of day? And what's up with the upload speed staying good, all things considered?

I'm not arguing, I'm asking.

Thanks
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 227 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Just switch to VS2. It doesn’t have congestion. My VS1 on a weekend night was 500k, now with VS2 it’s just under 20 megs on a Friday at 9pm.
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Point taken, but IMO they should switch us over to provide what they promise. Instead they want a commitment to another 2-year contract when they haven't even come close to providing what they promised with the first contract. So instead I ordered a hot spot with ethernet port and a huge amount of data. More expensive, but I need my Internet to work.

I may upgrade at some point, but I've been sufficiently turned off by my support experiences with Exede that I was motivated to pay for more to do business with someone else.

That said, I do have a few people who have helped me by email that have been responsive, it would be unfair not to acknowledge that. I refuse to ever call in. When i had to spend 30 minutes calling so I could have a woman lecture me that there was a difference when resetting the router by unplugging the power from the wall vs the back of the router (really :-D), that was the last time I was ever going to go through that freaking joke again.

Anyhow, I'm rather enjoying ranting tonight, but I suppose it's not accomplishing much :-D.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3070 Posts
  • 1745 Reply Likes
There is a hotspot with an Ethernet port????
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3583 Posts
  • 3576 Reply Likes
Yes, Netgear makes one for AT&T - niche market.

P.S. However as I recall it's a WAN port only and allows creating a mobile WiFi hotspot with a wired Internet connection.

P.P.S Yeah... here we go and explains it all...

https://www.pcmag.com/review/358176/nighthawk-lte-mobile-hotspot-router-at-t

That doesn't appear to be David's intent however.
(Edited)
Photo of Ivan Bludnik

Ivan Bludnik

• 76 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
David,
My experience is similar to yours. I also have noticed that the periods of "congestion" bear no relationship to time of day or day of week.
So, even though many have blamed congestion as the cause of slow speed, there is something else taking place that has greater impact on speeds. One possibility is that Viasat is controlling speeds at their end for their own reasons, independent of the beam congestion.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3583 Posts
  • 3576 Reply Likes
Have you ruled out the known slow WiFi performance on the original Viasat WiFi modem if that's what you have. This is a tough conversation to follow but appears that's the issue David is having; yes it's probably something other than congestion if you can't find a time slot where speeds are reasonable. If so test with a wired connection to isolate it as a WiFi issue; it appears from David's latest reply below there's a finally firmware fix available for the WiFi issue rather than the workaround of using ones own router.

Haven't really been following your specific issue if described elsewhere.

Just guessing and FWIW we've seen firmware updates where users claim it's fixed only to rear it's head a little later. 
(Edited)
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
"There is a hotspot with an Ethernet port?"
This is the one I ordered. Supports 250 devices. Have not received it yet, so I can't vouch for it yet, I've been using regular hotspots until now.
http://mofinetwork.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=189
(Edited)
Photo of David

David

• 41 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
OK, so the guys who are always very responsive to me via email and also know their stuff responded to me and upgraded my modem firmware today. This is the second time a firmware update has fixed connection/speed issues. What I don't understand is why these updates are not being pushed out automatically, which I am going to ask them.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3603 Posts
  • 3589 Reply Likes
Well if it's like any software engineering group I've worked in, they're probably bound by process, up to their arses in alligators, fighting fires, following someone else's list of priorities and unable to find time to look at why the automated process for software updates is failing.

For the past two weeks, my modem's software update was repeated failing on a daily basis (at least once and sometimes more). The good news is the repeated download wasn't applicable to data usage. The modem was continuously displaying Software Download - Software download failed. For me it, was having no adverse impact and everything was working fine. I just reported it here hoping someone would take note and waited it out - yesterday it was finally sorted out and completed.

Pick and choose your spots to try and escalate - the squeaky wheel will sometimes get the grease. Sometime patience is the better option as in my case where it really wasn't broken so no rush to fix it.

Those who've worked in software development or engineering will know what I'm talking about ;)  

Not defending Viasat here, just pointing out the reality - when you do get thru to somebody who can actually do something treat them nicely - if going in person, bring pizza or donuts. 
(Edited)
Photo of Ivan Bludnik

Ivan Bludnik

• 76 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
VetSatUser,

You said "As Viasat continues to bleed subs, that is why they are no longer counting them as a measurable and have to continue to roll out plan changes costing more $$$$ to generate more revenue."

But there are some Viasat customers who can get internet from Verizon at $60/month for 10 gb/month. They stay with Viasat because at the moment Viasat is a little less expensive for a little more.

We are getting close to the point where that may no longer be true.