Why can’t my weather and map apps locate my present position?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
When using any weather or map app, selecting the map center feature results in the map coming back with position unknown. Weather apps time-out trying to locate position. These apps work well when I connect to other wi-if signals. This has worked fine in the past. I have rebooted my modem/router
Photo of BootsandHeels Erwin

BootsandHeels Erwin

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 689 Posts
  • 445 Reply Likes
Can't imagine it ever worked right with satellite internet.  With satellite internet, apps have no idea of locating your real position because your location is 100's or 1000's of miles away, depending on your gateway location.

BootsandHeels Erwin

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply ExSatUser. In a round about way, you asked a question and replied to your own question with your reply to me. You are correct, the satellite location is 100’s to 1000’s miles away. However, the gateway and router location are precisely known. As I stated in my original question, this has been working fine in the past but all of a sudden stopped.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1837 Posts
  • 1142 Reply Likes
You are correct, the satellite location is 100’s to 1000’s miles away. 
Not the satellite.  The gateway.  Location services normally use the location of your ViaSat gateway, which is very likely nowhere near your own location.  If it's not working at all, there may be some sort of glitch, but there is no way to fix it other than manually choosing a location, if your chosen weather map allows it.  

The reason ExSatUser said he can't imagine it ever worked right in the first place is because it is highly unusual for location services to actually be accurate regarding your actual location when using satellite internet. 

BootsandHeels Erwin

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
To further define the issue, using Viasat Internet at my location, I am unable to use WiFi GPS on my device.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 689 Posts
  • 445 Reply Likes

So you are saying the location of the gateway is what would pop in your apps and now nothing does?

BootsandHeels Erwin

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
When I load a map app and tap the locate icon I get this

BootsandHeels Erwin

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The fault is not due to IOS or application settings. The feature works perfect on other networks.
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 36 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
it's because the location feature with GPS runs off the cell tower not wifi.  You must not be getting any cell tower service while at home.

BootsandHeels Erwin

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
All,

I appreciate all your comments and suggestions. I have resolved the issue. In fact, it was my iPad; the GPS needed to be reset. I found the following process that worked for me.

1. Double tap the home button. This will bring up tile sized images of all currently running apps. Swipe the screens of all apps upwards to close them.
2. Then go into settings and turn on airplane mode.
3. When you've done that go to settings, general, reset and choose reset network settings (you will need to re-enter your wifi passwords!)
4. Once your phone has reset go to settings, location services, turn it off then on again.
5. Then go settings > privacy > location services > system services, setting time zone OFF.

A. For what it’s worth, GPS does not run off cell towers
B. WiFi in itself will not provide accurate position
C. IPad has an internal GPS
D. You do not need cell service to operate the internal GPS (my iPad doesn’t have the cell feature)

Again, I much appreciate all the comments. It’s fantastic that we can crowd source an issue and together resolve problems. All of us are greater than any one of us!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1873 Posts
  • 1162 Reply Likes
Ahh.  I misunderstood.  I should learn to read a little more thoroughly.  I thought you were referring to going to websites and the location showing on weather widgets, or even a weather website itself, was not working at all or wasn't showing the correct location. 

Glad you got it fixed.  
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3433 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
Saw this on Twitter before coming on here. Glad you were able to figure this out and thank you for sharing your workaround!