Why are my ping times varying from 700 ms to over 2000 ms? They were not always like this

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Hello,

As you will see in the attached picture my ping jumps from 720-750~ ms to 1700+ ms sporadically. It happens quite often... at least several times every 10 seconds, but usually more.

What is the cause of this problem? My ping times were not always crazy like this.

For the first two years of my service with Exede they were always around 720 ms range and never really fluctuated. Is is effecting my ability to do stuff online.

Photo of Jordan

Jordan

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 824 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
this is my speed test and imma fine with it :3

this is basically my ping and with that i can do most of my things online :3
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
you like to boast your service but fail to mention what plan you are on and how much your paying a month, anyone paying under $100 a month never sees anything close to this, and that is pretty irrelevant on helping someone get answers to a ping problem. some champions at least try to help, not just bragg constantly like you have been doing lately.as far as his problem.  my ping was also in a steady short range and now spikes sometimes pretty insanely. normally it would point to packet loss. check your esvt to see if any packet loss .
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 824 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
well i tend to pay 143$ monthly and imma on the plan of freedom plan the 150gbs one :3 and also my upload is 12mbps and also my download is about... 3-5mbps :3 is that enough for you??? -_-
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
I would think anything under 7mbps would not be acceptable(as per the installers words)

Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
What does your modem at http://192.168.100.1 show?  If you post the screenshot, make sure you remove the MAC address and all other personal account information from the screenshot before posting it.  A key figure there to look for is the SNR (signal to noise ratio).  Your dish could be out of alignment.
Photo of Lea Clark

Lea Clark

• 26 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
What is an acceptable tolerance for SNR?
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2737 Posts
  • 1717 Reply Likes
Near 10.0 is wonderful, but even at 3.0 it doesn't seem to affect connection or speeds. If you are below 6.0 on a clear day, you might want to have your dish realigned. Just send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com along with your account number, a phone number an a brief description of your problem. The moderators have some tools that they can check your modem remotely
Photo of Lea Clark

Lea Clark

• 26 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank you. Mine is running 6.5-7.2, so I'd say that's okay.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2737 Posts
  • 1717 Reply Likes
Lea, that is a good RxSNR number.