Who Else wants to see daily usage rather than overall usage? Let's bombard Exede to get this feature!

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Under Consideration
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: No need for further response.

Daily usage monitor, rather than overall usage
Photo of Chris Koch

Chris Koch

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 114 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I like the idea but I can't even view my regular usage meter - it is broken and they have known about it for quite a while. I check every day and still nothing so if they can't fix what is already broken can we expect more? We can ask but it will probably fall on deaf ears.
Photo of Debbi Cobern

Debbi Cobern

• 88 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
trouble Is how will this help we tablet users? I seldom use my laptop anymore.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3183 Posts
  • 2048 Reply Likes
Chris, I have absolutely no interest in daily usage limitations, because there are some days that I choose to download a large file, or do more web browsing than normal, and daily limits just make no sense at all. The monthly limits help to average out those days when I need more data, and in the 28 months I have been on Exede I have never gone over my monthly allowance. Even HughesNet Gen 4 has changed to the monthly data allowances because so many of their customers preferred it.  I can see no advantage to daily limits.
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 114 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Isn't he asking about a daily monitor rather than overall usage monitor?  Would that cause usage limitations? I may be misunderstanding - I want to monitor/meter my usage. Is it apples and oranges? He did say SEE daily usage in the header.
(Edited)

• 3183 Posts
  • 2048 Reply Likes
OK, I misunderstood. If he is looking for a daily use monitor, then Networx is an excellent app, available free and it shows up in the lower right corner of your monitor. It is for windows users. It even shows what applications are using your data, and gives hourly, daily weekly and monthly totals. Networx is available for free download at http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

Exede might get us something someday, but I don't expect anything out of them very soon. We have been asking for a simple indication to show that the LNFZ is actually actuated for almost two years, and have gotten nothing but the standard answer "That sounds like a great idea, I'll pass it on to the technical team",
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 114 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Ha-ha just like the response below! Networx is not for those of us on Macs - I posted something a little bit ago that had some solutions for Mac but I'd like to know if someone here has tried any of those. I get a little nervous about unknown software :-)
Photo of Chris Koch

Chris Koch

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I am talking about daily usage monitoring, not any sort of limitations on daily usage. My concern comes from 1 week I was on vacation, no internet used. I have 1 week before my data is reset. This means I have only used the Exede internet for 2 weeks and Exede says I've used 10.5 of 15 gig data plan. Hog wash! 

There is only myself and wife on the internet. I would like to see what is being used on any given day. 

I would like to have an app to monitor it. Thanks Steve for the link, however, I'm using Mac. Hopefully it will help others.

If there is one for Mac, please let me and others know.

Thanks
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 114 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Chris - I posted this to another thread a short while ago because I am looking too. I am hoping to find a Mac user that may have tried one of these or who might possibly have another solution. My Exede usage meter does not work at all so I need to find something else. Hopefully someone who has good info will post something.

http://www.rawcomputing.co.uk/macnetmonitor.html
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 114 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Thanks Liberty unfortunately it is only for OS 11 and I am 10.8.5. I'm sure the info will help someone else though. My laptop is so old that if I upgrade to Mavericks it will probably have a brain seizure. As it is I have to use a wireless mouse and keyboard because using the one on the laptop cause it to freeze up completely. Jeez, Exede get on the ball and give me my meter back....pretty please?
Photo of Chris Koch

Chris Koch

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks R Frederick for this link: http://www.rawcomputing.co.uk/macnetmonitor.html
for Mac 10.4.4 or later version. It works and I'm using it. 

Reading many post's I see there are a lot of unsatified customers. You would think Wildblue/Exede would take notice. Wait, maybe they have, maybe they don't care.

It's funny when they send out a survey, my main complaint is the darn data allowance limitation. The survey ask's if I want to be contacted and I say YES. To this day they have not contacted me. 

I'm sure most unsatified customers would go with another provider if they could. Hello Wildblue/Exede that day is coming!
Photo of R Frederick

R Frederick

• 114 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I downloaded istat menu which is a trial only and SurplusMeter. The only problem I can see is that it appears that it will be measuring all of my usage.I am on the Evolution package so I'm not sure about how well the information will apply to Evolution. Nonetheless, it will give me an idea of how I am using the Net and I think that will be helpful.

I wonder if Exede doesn't spend more time patronizing us than actually doing something to fix the problems. Despite the problems this is better than what I had previously. After dial up I had a service in my area called Flashbyte it was horrible and the people who run it are horrible. Everyone I know who has tried it has found it most unsatisfactory. I found that dial up was more reliable overall - slow yes but at least it wasn't out for weeks on end. Oh, and the terms of service for this company said you couldn't complain or they could pull their equipment and no refunds for anything. My next thing was AT&T via an air card connected to a Cradlepoint device which connected to an antenna on my roof. Expensive and low data caps and various other problems but that is where I was for a number of years. Spent a lot of time at a local wi-fi spot to do downloads, etc. I've been with Wildblue/Exede for a bit over a year and compared to being in internet hell I'm better off. We also had a young couple who came from another town to install and they were first rate. No fake promises, very helpful and did a great job setting the system up. Unlike many here I have no complaint about the installation.

I feel like I'm not asking for much too just be able to view the usage meter. Unlike the rest of you I have no info - I'm supposed to have 5 GB for everything but web browsing and email and the meter says 0 at the top and the bottom. This happened after I switched to the Evolution package. I checked again this morning and it is still not functioning.

There is another local internet service that has come into our area and everyone I know who uses it loves the company and the people who run it and work there. I have never heard a complaint about the company and that is amazing. Unfortunately because of where my house is located they can not reach me. They are trying to expand their service so only time will tell. We've never had cable here, they are putting in FIOS in some of the areas five miles or so below us but nothing here yet and most likely a long time away if ever. The demand for service is out there so perhaps someone will step up and truly fill the need if Exede can't or won't.
Photo of Debbi Cobern

Debbi Cobern

• 88 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
I know how you feel. Wildblue/Exede started out excellent but the past few months my 10 gigs is disappearing yet nothing has changed on my end. Cable is two miles from us and moving into our area so I will be switching if things don't change.
(Edited)
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Chris,

That's a great suggestion! We have forwarded this information to the appropriate department.  In the meantime, you can monitor your usage on a daily bases.  Just remember it can take up to 24 hrs. for your usage meter to update. 
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
the way the suggestion is initially stated is to have a daily usage monitor rather than a monthly monitor...but I think you really need both, or else you will have to tally it yourself to see how much you have left for the month...since this is so obvious maybe I am being too picky about how it is worded and that is what was meant in the first place?  If I had to choose between one or the other i'd have to choose a monthly monitor just so I'd know what I still had left without writing it down and adding up my daily usage...
this wasn't specifically asked for, but in case anyone wants a free app to measure data usage on an iphone or ipad, here is some info:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/data-manager-data-usage-speed/id726165806?mt=8
I really thought someone was suggesting a data allowance that is renewed daily, like hughes does on their old plans..the biggest adjustment I have had in switching from hughes old plan to exede classic is that with hughes I did have an allowance which renewed daily....the one big advantage of course was that if I used more than I meant to and went over, I only had to wait until the next day to start over with more data!
but no, there is something i really really DO miss about my hughes pre-gen4 plan which was all the free tokens!  somehow I accumulated like 10 of them...so if I ever accidentally went over and hit slowed time, I just had to use one of my free tokens and my allowance filled up to 100% again (for that day)....there were also paid tokens available but I never needed to use those.
but other than those details of how Hughes did it, Steve, I agree with what you are saying about how monthly can be better...if you PLAN that is.
But can someone tell me why they feel that a monitor reflecting daily usage is better?  do you mean a monitor that would show ALL your days usage in the current month so far, or just the current day's usage?  sorry I am not understanding how daily monitoring (rather than an allowance which resets daily) would be better? 
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
I think they should be able to provide this information.  When I go to the Verizon web site not only can I see how much data was used on a daily basis they have it broken down to specific times and how much was used almost minute by minute.  I have only looked at this information a couple times but I can understand why people would want to see that information and it seems if Verizon can supply it Exede should also be able to supply information of that sort.
Photo of Ary Menaka

Ary Menaka

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
We need Usage traffic Monitor by User or IP so we know what using our data, when, and how much data it used. we don't need stupid big pictures of graphic rainbow but we don't have the access to the Log of our Data Traffic.

Below 2 example the Data Traffic Log I want to have within myexede page or my router

I Have this (pic below) within my router, and now i can tell how much i use daily but still can't see detail where its goes
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Thanks for the graphics!  this makes ideas a lot clearer. 

• 3183 Posts
  • 2048 Reply Likes
Ary, if you are using windows, you can use Networx data monitoring software, it gives details by user, hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, as well as by application using the data. It is free, download it at http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/
Photo of Ary Menaka

Ary Menaka

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Im using mac, i have the traffic system logger using DD-WRT. and also software base program doesn't log if computer off, but DD-WRT is build in to my router and keep track of the log even no computer/iPhone/tablet etc connecting to it. and the end of the month i can download my system log using SHH with Mac Terminal incase i need prove to be use in court.
(Edited)
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Especially in  view of the volume of questions and complaints about data usage issues, I agree that Exede should make significant improvements in their representations of our data usage.  Clearly something customers are saying they need and want, and are getting from other internet providers.
Once I heard about and downloaded Networx, which is free, I don't feel the need of anything else, but I do still think it would be better if customers could get this info from Exede.
UNLESS Exede has to spend enough money on making this improvement that it gets passed along to me!  Kidding, I think.
Photo of Ary Menaka

Ary Menaka

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Networx didn't collect data if your computer off, because is software base that within your computer. so if your computer off and hacker or Exede update using your data you can't trace it.

I want Exede create a Cloud sytem Trafic Data System Log  like https://papertrailapp.com or Loggy

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.