Barry Paepcke

• 94 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3328 Posts
  • 3315 Reply Likes
They're in envelope that has been kept in a hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnalls’ porch since 5:00 PM Thursday.

Only the outside of the envelope is visible and only Carnac the Magnificent (aka Alex) knows the detailed contents of that envelope. But the answer for at least some appears to be a prediction of disappointment.

As early as next week... which still leaves a lot of room in February.
(Edited)
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 726 Posts
  • 350 Reply Likes
hmmmmm i wonder what the envolope contains of the new plans :3 why dont alex let me have a quick sneak peak of what is inside the envolope >:3 NAH!!! JUST KIDDING XD!!!

BUT!!! onto a serious note here... i agree with old labs here... it MAYBE close to the end of feburary until we will see the new plans announced... OR it might be next week :D oh i sure hope so :D imma SO EXCITED TO SEE WHATS INTO THE ENVOLOPE!!! :D
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 1870 Posts
  • 868 Reply Likes
Feb 29th.
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 73 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
That would be in 2020, sounds about right, maybe Viasat can make it work by then!
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 35 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
The groundhog saw his shadow so 6 more weeks of speculation and dreaming.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1861 Posts
  • 1532 Reply Likes
The only BS here is from Barry. Feb. 10th is WELL into Feb.?  Must be a CHILD of the new math.  Well at least we know he is a child.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 189 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Well, technically we were told early February, so one could argue anything up to the 13th is “early”, followed by “mid”, etc... and lately, the word from on-high has changed to just “February”.

Anyhow, ViaSat has not crossed the line - they may have moved the line, but crossed it? Never!
Photo of Concentric Circles

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Is the line on wheels, or do they carry it?  I think it's on wheels.
Photo of John

John

• 101 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
The green banner on the main Viasat Community page still says early February... Let's hope for no more delays.
Photo of Danny Strickland

Danny Strickland

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Uhhhh....Barry....let DuckDuckGo search engine be your friend.  Just DDG "ViaSat News" and three frames at the very top with the latest ViaSat news pops up.  The second one is this account of ViaSat's recent conference call on their Q3 financials.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/viasat-vsat-posts-q3-loss-151703753.html

Here's the relevant snippet concerning when the new ViaSat 2 service begins....

Other Highlights

"The company’s ViaSat-2 satellite is ready for service and will likely be launched next week, with national coverage scheduled for February end. "

This Yahoo article was posted Feb. 9th.  Yesterday.  Which means...if true...ViaSat 2 service starts sometime Valentine week with full nationwide coverage and rollout Feb. 28th.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 1870 Posts
  • 868 Reply Likes
Those unlimited plans that we got a few months ago are the new Viasat 2 plans.  The only thing new is the Platinum offering.  You people never cease to amaze me.

There is nothing wrong with the existing plans.  They all offer a great value when the network isn't congested.

For those of you on congested beams, what you have to look forward to isn't new plans.  It is Viasat 2 taking some of the load of Viasat 1 that you should be excited about.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 230 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
I'm not only looking forward to less congestion, but also the faster speeds with Viasat 2. 50-100 Mbps sounds mighty good to me.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2539 Posts
  • 1389 Reply Likes
Not at 480 or 720p it doesn't. Lol
Photo of Shawn Willmon

Shawn Willmon

• 42 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
yes its basically useless to have 100mbs when youre constantly throttled to 5mbs for streaming which is probably most of our usage for it
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 726 Posts
  • 350 Reply Likes
=^o^= YUS!!! ILL BE SO FRICKING HAPPY WHEN CONGESTION GOES AWAY SOMETIME!!! >:3 (BUT!!! it ONLY happens once in a while BUT!!! SO FRICKING SLOW during evening time sadly ;-; BUT!!! i sure HOPE it does it to mine :3 cause then... ill stay onto VS-1 EVEN MORE!!! :D  )

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
What do you mean Stephen, I have 10, 15, and 25 gig plans, and then 60kbps the rest of the month.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 230 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
I download most of my movies and shows at whatever resolution I prefer. i stream very little. So yes,  50-100 Mbps sounds great.
(Edited)
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 152 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Ok so does that mean you don't understand the definition of Value then? A $70+ plan doesn't fall in the range of what could be defined as a value. Certainly not a great value. It would be great if they ever started offering a service that could be defined as value and certainly a great value.
Photo of John

John

• 101 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
What is considered value is subjective.  Where I live, there is no cable, no DSL and cellphone reception is rarer than a purple-spotted jackrabbit. Of course I can get dial-up for $14.95 a month, but then I'd have to dig around in the attic and find my old USR 56k...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2539 Posts
  • 1389 Reply Likes
It is 2018.. I don't think dial up is going to help you much :). Maybe with a hot tub time machine it might.
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 152 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Well John I could obviously get dial up. But there's another option that might your mind. I can stay with Viasat. I can continue to not be some sycophant fan boy of the service. And if things don't change in 2 to 5 years when competition becomes more prevalent I can leave. I don't feel the need to drum up a bad service as a good thing. But you can of course feel free to continue.
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 73 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
I'm with you, I will be leaving this mediocre overpriced "service" as soon as possible!

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3328 Posts
  • 3315 Reply Likes
See, the strategy to free up bandwidth on Viasat-1 is already working! Faster please...
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2539 Posts
  • 1389 Reply Likes
I have been waiting 20+ years for a better internet option than satellite internet. It hasn't happened yet!

Guess Viasat remains the best option to meet my internet needs.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
It's still TBA February. Any official news related to when were announced on our last earnings call or will have an official announcement via an employ on this forum
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1860 Posts
  • 1532 Reply Likes
J&J and I can show them some new plans,  if that's alright with you?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
Pass
Photo of Shawn Willmon

Shawn Willmon

• 42 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
so no longer TBA "early" february?
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 189 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Brad, technically we were told "early February" at some point... I won't bother tracking the original post down, I'm sure someone can and will. Your reply above sounds like the line's moved. As someone wisely mentioned a ways back, I guess we should now infer that the date is 2-14, +/- 14 days.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
to clarify our anticipated date hasn't changed, we just aren't commenting on any exact dates as things like testing or roll out plans can change on the fly. I would say the same thing I've officially been saying all along.....Stay Tuned!!.... and routinely check account.viasat.com 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3315 Posts
  • 3299 Reply Likes
So, the first highlight is that ViaSat-2 is ready for service. We anticipate launching the service region by region starting as early as next week with national coverage planned for the end of this month.
http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/call-transcript.aspx?StoryId=4144953&Title=viasat-s-vsat-ceo-mark-dan...

Straight from Viasat CEO, Mark Dankberg in his opening remarks from last Thursday's Earnings Conference Call.

Pretty sure Brad doesn't get to override the Grand Poobah... at least not without suffering some consequences. The good news is that now means as early as this week or even as early as today - repeat answer as needed tomorrow or next week... by now Brad can be heard grumbling in the hallways: release the damn memo already.
(Edited)
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 147 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
What do they mean by region to region? Is by beams or nation or by state or time zones?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3315 Posts
  • 3299 Reply Likes
If past experience (i.e. Viasat-1 rollout) is any indicator, it's rolled out on a service area basis (whether that's quivalent to a beam, gateway, etc isn't really clear) - but when rolling out into the wild, caution is the word of the day in the event something was missed in beta testing and goes wrong.

As I recall for Viasat-1 it was over the course of a couple months before all service areas were lit up. Sounds like a quicker process this go around.

FWIW, the same philosopy has always been used when rolling out modem firmware updates - don't want to take out the entire user base with a bad update (but that's never stopped Microsoft).    
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 189 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Words like "we anticipate" and "as early as" sound similar to words like "up to"  and "may be" - it sure would be nice to get some clarity. Just saying...

I'm just disgruntled, because I'm wearing out my trackpad clicking on "change my account" - and what's ironic is that I very well might not make any changes. But it sure would be nice to know the options.

(sigh...)
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1547 Posts
  • 885 Reply Likes

It's much like parents tell their children..  "we'll see"  or "maybe later"

Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1547 Posts
  • 885 Reply Likes
Now THAT's progress!!!   I just posted above and it double-posted but this time when I clicked "Remove" it took away the second post, something it never did before!  :o)

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
Old Labs is very spot-on!

We're very excited and can't wait either! There's a few checkmarks that have to clear first but we're close just stay tuned! 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1868 Posts
  • 862 Reply Likes
I've got no need to change plans. According to the dashboard my Liberty 12 plan is now unlimited, speeds are up to 25 mbps, and I have the option to turn the video data extender on and off. That's almost as good as a king cake.
Photo of Shawn Willmon

Shawn Willmon

• 42 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
thats what im hoping for stephen, its all i need also, but its not available in 79789, sigh
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1547 Posts
  • 885 Reply Likes

The social media team will make the official announcement on Wednesday.

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I don't know about anyone else, but I have new plans available as of tonight, although no actual boost in speed.  I think I'm still on the old Wildblue satellite, just with an "unlimited" plan.  I'll call someday soon and see if I can switch to the new satellite, since I only get about 1mbps now.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3315 Posts
  • 3299 Reply Likes
What speeds are being touted and what's your ZipCode?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2521 Posts
  • 1381 Reply Likes
We can always zip code fish like the old days to see where the Freedom Plan was offered.

I remember putting in the zip code for NYC. Freedom Plan was available there :)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3315 Posts
  • 3299 Reply Likes
But it would determine if he were on Wildblue-1... we think :)
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
Lizzie or Alex will probably post a official thing but I think some areas may be seeing it as part of a roll out.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3315 Posts
  • 3299 Reply Likes
Brad gets a like for his artful execution of the "shift the monkey" gambit - well played, sir ;)

Whew, glad I caught that automatic spell check correction before submitting...
(Edited)

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Zip code is 84536.  Previously, any zip codes in this area for a couple hundred miles had the same plans.

Concentric Circles

• 84 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Also, any enlightenment on this: for years now, I have noted the extreme difference between real speeds, and test speeds.  The test speeds, for example, will show something like 8mbps, where the bandwidth monitor shows maybe 1.5mbps (during the test and due to the test).  The bandwidth monitor is correct, since a file will download in exactly the amount of time it ought to given its size and what the bandwidth monitor says you're getting. 
Photo of Bob Hansen

Bob Hansen

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
A couple of months ago, the higher speed plans showed that they were available to my account, then they disappeared. Thought that was strange. Anyone else experience this?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3315 Posts
  • 3299 Reply Likes
The plans rolled out a few months ago were temporary and they were more being used to gauge interest and expectations for the Viasat-2 plans. These being rolled out today are likely going to be the new norm on Viasat-1. 
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
A song about a farmer having a dog comes to mind on Old Labs response
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2887 Posts
  • 968 Reply Likes
But also it will vary by location with what's available
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3315 Posts
  • 3299 Reply Likes
And much like life here, there was always confusion about whether it was the farmer's or the dog's name ;)