When will Exede offer an unlimited data plan?

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
When will Exede offer an unlimited data plane? 
Photo of Lambert Michel

Lambert Michel

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Never because satellites are capable of only a set amount of data throughput. They should be able to offer larger data allowance when the next satellite is launched but, we will never have unlimited usage on satellite.
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Official Response
You'll see much better data plans when we launch our new satellite, with new service in mid-2017. The goal is to have data plans that will seem unlimited to the typical user, with plenty of room for HD video streaming. It's very difficult to offer 'unlimited' plans for any internet service provider, since there are always edge cases with people or businesses who use tons of data. It's all about capacity. As Bev notes, satellites have a set amount of throughput, but we're doubling ours with the next satellite and then more than tripling that with the one following just a few years later. 
Photo of Derrick

Derrick

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
That's good to hear Alex re better data plans that can handle streaming use cases (netflix, youtube, hulu etc). Will the new service in mid 2017 include all areas of US? I am in central coast California which I am specifically interested.
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 171 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
good to hear, but probly not affordable for a normal person or someone on limited income.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Cool beanz Alex. :) Does that mean I might see 50 or even more GB next year? Yipee. LOL
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3518 Posts
  • 1320 Reply Likes
we'll have more specific details closer to launch time of what will be offered. Possibly this fall? But we're all very excited for it
Photo of Brian long

Brian long

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
You have been going to launch a new satellite since spring of 2016 now it's 2017 YEA RIGHT
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
That was supposed to be the case. However, last year SpaceX (the vendor scheduled to launch ViaSat-2) suffered a catastrophic launch failure of it's Falcon 9 vehicle. That pushed their schedule back as SpaceX put all of their efforts into getting that program back in the air (and moving up their booster re-landing efforts)  and the Falcon Heavy program was delayed even further.

Due to future uncertainty over the SpaceX program, ViaSat dropped them in February choosing to go with Arianespace instead. When announced in February, the launch date was early 2017, meaning that ViaSat-2 would be place into service mid 2017.

See:

http://spaceflightnow.com/2016/02/15/viasat-trades-in-falcon-heavy-launch-for-ariane-5/           

Boeing appears on schedule for the satellite itself; however, it ain't going anywhere without a ride and hopefully Arianespace doesn't suffer any failures on their launches between now and then. It was around six months before SpaceX returned to flight.

(Edited)
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
This made me wonder, since there are different beams, does that mean there are separate satellites for each beam or is it a single satellite with antennas pointing in various directions?
If it is the former, is more than one new satellite being launched?
Will plans with late night free zones still be available?
Will the prices have to go up to use the new satellite(s)?
I wonder what "nearly unlimited" is like. LOL.
I think if I had 50Gb and a LNFZ for loading youtube, movies, software updates, etc, it would be nice.
I keep going over my limit because I like to do google image searches and do the internet version of window shopping on various sites that have a lot of pictures. The images alone now take a lot of bandwidth now.
I highly doubt that any cellular or satellite service will ever offer truly unlimited service, but I'm hoping for more bandwidth in the near future.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
One satellite with multiple Ka-band spot beams - 63 partially covering the US for ViaSat (Exede) and 9 covering Canada for Telesat (Xplornet).

Nothing's been made public about plans/pricing after the Viasat-2 launch. 

ViaSat-2 was first announced in May 2013 (yes, it take that much time to plan, launch, and place a satellite into service). See:

http://spacenews.com/35369viasat-2s-first-of-its-kind-design-will-enable-broad-geographic-reach/ 

ViaSat-3 (tentatively 2020) is now in the planning stage. 

(Edited)
Photo of robin fritz

robin fritz

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Alex - will the better plan options be rolled out throughout the US? I'm in south central Indiana. Do you know yet if we will see bigger, better plan options here?
Photo of leonard cleaton

leonard cleaton

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
hi there im in virginia and i had exede liberty plan hooked up yesterday and the best i could understand the installer was later this year we would be able to upgrade our modem for more GB at no extra charge  what is the story behind this ?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
There have been no announcements about what the plans will be once ViaSat 2 becomes activated. We ae all hoping for more GB at less money, but all we can do is wait patiently until early next year.