Whats your VPN Speed?

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
I have Silver service and I measure using Googles Speed Test a speed of 25 Mbps and better.
When I turn on the VPN the speed drops to 2 Mbps per Googles Speed test using the VPN server with the least latency which is 700ms.
Whats your experience? 
Photo of Robin

Robin

• 30 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1032 Posts
  • 628 Reply Likes
That would be true. When you use a VPN with Viasat, it will defeat the acceleration technology they have in place to deliver faster speeds.

As far as latency, there is nothing you can do to reduce your latency with satellite internet.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I use Private Internet Access and still get pretty good download speeds in the 8-12Mbps range. Browsing websites is a different ballgame though as I can definitely see a slowdown in how the sites load.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 978 Posts
  • 607 Reply Likes
PIA is great! Used it for 4 or so years now.
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 87 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
My experience was that the same speed tests over VPN usually were 85%-90% of that without due to the added overhead. It largely depended on which VPN solution I was using. Some VPN servers were slow to begin with - most I used were private anyway due to what I was connecting with. As noted it does bypass Viasat's web acceleration which resulted in overall slower page loads - but I really only noticed that on non-secured  sites. Didn't really see much of a difference with secured sites through VPN.     
(Edited)