What's your favorite 80's movie?

• Question
  • Updated 6 days ago
  • Acknowledged
What's your favorite 80's movie?

Ferris Bueller's day off is pretty much the greatest movie of all time, but I pretty much like anything written by John Hughes.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes
Yall forgot about The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3265 Posts
  • 1220 Reply Likes
Jeff Goldblum was a cowboy...nobody can forget that. Also pretty sure on Thor Ragnarok they just secretly filmed him doing his normal Wednesday routine. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes
Take my advice and don't try to stream Full Metal Jacket tonight. You can pretty much guarantee it's buffering even for people that have fiber internet.

Fortunately for me, I have it saved on my Playon server.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
Check out The Boys in Company C. It's pretty good too, but I bet you don't have that one in the archive.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes
Thanks to the late night free zone and Internet Download Manager, I will have it tomorrow.  Thanks for the suggestion!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
One of the truest Vietnam movies ever made. Before Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket.

Even has a sergeant in it you will recognize :).
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1444 Posts
  • 864 Reply Likes
Even has a sergeant in it you will recognize :)
He had a style, that's for sure. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
Well he not only acted it, he lived it!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes
Amen.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3265 Posts
  • 1220 Reply Likes
He wasn't that bad of a coach/hostage guru either....

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
Saving Silverman was on just the other night.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes
Watched Company C tonight. Crazy film. I guess now it's time to download Good Morning Vietnam.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
My favorite part is where they want the soccer team to lose to boost morale. I mean that is how it was. We didn't dare go in there and embarrass everybody, including the enemy!

Now do Apocalypse Now Redux. Talk about crazy. And it is nothing like the original version. It actually makes more sense! And yes, R. Lee Emery has a bit part in that too.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1444 Posts
  • 864 Reply Likes
I have the Redux version, and I wish I had bought the regular version, instead.  Don't get me wrong, the Redux version is very good, but that whole plantation segment is just WAY too long.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
Agree about the plantation scene.

But there is the stolen surfboard scenes, and the helicopter crash.

Those poor Playmates!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes
I've got Apocalypse Now but I didn't know there was a  Redux version.  I'll do my best to find that version.

Whats that "You ate her?" movie?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1444 Posts
  • 864 Reply Likes
Whats that "You ate her?" movie?

Saving Silverman.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
Not very good. But if you are a Neil Diamond fan you will laugh.

Yes the Redux version adds another hour (or so) with a lot of added scenes. Most notably the three I refer to above, with the plantation scene being the longest and most confusing part.

Also with that movie, you get three actors from the Godfather, real Playboy Playmates, and Hans Solo, which wildly enough he was in this movie AFTER Star Wars and American Graffiti.

Another interesting tidbit. This movie featured Martin Sheen, who had a heart attack while filming. Just 8 years or so later, his son also starred in a Vietnam movie, which while I think is inferior to Apocolyose Now, garnered many more accolades. That movie of course was Platoon, and we all know how Charlie Sheen ended up with his career in shambles years later.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...

So Stephen, if you find Redux watch it and let us know. Also watch American Gangster, which is based on a true story and part of what happens in the Boys in Company C is covered in much more depth in it.

Movies, movies, movies :)
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes
Thanks for the suggestions.  I really am enjoying these Vietnam movies. 

On a serious note, I am planning to visit Vietnam in October.  Doesn't hurt to brush up on my American history before going there.  I really am looking forward to visiting the rooftop of the American embassy in Saigon.

Of course, I have to be on good behavior while I am there.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1444 Posts
  • 864 Reply Likes
I really am enjoying these Vietnam movies. 
This probably goes without saying, but don't forget Platoon.  

Casualties of War was very good, too, but quite disturbing.  Based on a true story, as well.  

There was a fantastic, ten part documentary on PBS a few months back.  It was called "The Vietnam War", and each episode was two hours long.  It's probably the best Vietnam War documentary series I've ever seen.  I still have it on my DVR.  :)  
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
Yea. It was pretty good. To me it sort of dragged at the end.

Now, in the same theme, there is a special called the last days of vietnam, which was also on PBS not too long ago. It is fascinating, and shows the chaos at the end as everyone tried to get out as a country deteriorated to nothing.

You will definitely want to check that out Stephen if you are going to go over there.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3265 Posts
  • 1220 Reply Likes
Ken Burns does a really good job with war documentaries his Civil War series is pretty good too. 

@Stephen Rice, it's a early 2000s comedy which probably didn't age that well but it has Amanda Peet in her prime, Jason Biggs when he was a go-to guy, Steve Zahn and Jack Black. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
Don't forget R. Lee Emery and Neil Diamond.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes
Watched Good Morning Vietnam this afternoon.  Very touching film.  Boy Robin Williams was a great actor.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
His best performance, IMHO. Top of his game. Made to play that part, with superb writing.

Hard to believe three of those main performers are gone now...some for several years.

So see how good you are. One of the actors in Good Morning was also in another famous Vietnam movie. Which actor, which other 80''s movie :).
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1444 Posts
  • 864 Reply Likes
So see how good you are. One of the actors in Good Morning was also in another famous Vietnam movie. Which actor, which other 80''s movie :).

Forest Whitaker.  Big Harold in Platoon.  

Richard Edson was in Platoon, as well.  Played Sal.  He's the one all worried about the other guy wanting the maps.  When the other guy picks up the ammo canister...BANG.  Hidden grenade.  
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes
I wish I could watch Platoon tonight. Sounds awesome.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
Ummm... the story is good. Lot of Oscar caliber actors (Defoe, Depp, Whittaker). I like Good Morning Vietnam, Apocalypse Now, and Full Metal better. But I like comedies and of course nothing beats the smell of napalm in the morning.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1444 Posts
  • 864 Reply Likes
I wish I could watch Platoon tonight. Sounds awesome.
If you've never seen it you must when it comes on again sometime. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes
It's on my server. Just can't watch it tonight because I have other plans.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1444 Posts
  • 864 Reply Likes
Ah...priorities.   Understand that!  

But, really, when you have some time you should watch it.  Tom Berenger's character is quite memorable.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
Indeed. And the village scene is very difficult. You do have to be a fan of Oliver Stone I think. I am actually, but his movies can be quite brutal.

Again, hard to believe Apocolypse Now was only 7 years before Platoon, with a father and a son being the main character in each movie. And Full Metal (I am a Kubrick fan too) was actually after Platoon.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3265 Posts
  • 1220 Reply Likes
Not a Vietnam movie but I really like the absurdity of the Vietnam war play at the end of Rushmore (Dennis the Menace kid has a flame thrower!)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes
Finally watched Platoon last night. Hardcore...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1444 Posts
  • 864 Reply Likes
Yep.  It definitely is.  And when Barnes finally gets it, and the way he does... you just can't beat it.  

I had a Vietnam Vet tell me years ago that Platoon was the most realistic Vietnam War based film he had ever seen.  Not the Barnes - Elias - Taylor story, but the rest of it.  
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1196 Posts
  • 388 Reply Likes
Tom Berringer is fantastic as Barnes. Never been a Sheen fan (dad or son’s).

My dad was in Vietnam, and it is his favorite.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
The village scene is based on actual events. Sad but true!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2546 Posts
  • 1312 Reply Likes
Bam!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3281 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes

So cute, so bad, so corny it was horrible and hilarious LOL
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 4505 Posts
  • 2758 Reply Likes
Phoebe Cates!
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 108 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Got to add Popeye to the list, one of the best Robin Williams performances you will ever see.