What's with all this congestion. It's really bad today.

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
What's with all this congestion here lately. It's bad today. My download speeds are what it would be for prime time during the week. What will it be tonight? Dial-up. Didn't they anticipate more congestion after Christmas when everyone gets their new computers and phones or is that what Viatsat wanted. If they want to provide a good service they should anticipate the time of year, also.
Photo of Patrick Lee Burks

Patrick Lee Burks

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
The bottleneck is the satellite itself. It's capacity is fixed at the time it's launched and can't be increased to meet new and ever increasing demands of existing customers let alone new customers.

To meet more demands on capacity Viasat needs to launch more satellites and that takes time - the Viasat-3 constellation is on the way in 2020 at the earliest. Even then you wont see any relief unless you switch over to the new bird or until existing customers in your service area move over to it or drop their service entirely.

Actually not bad for me today on my beam - running at advertised median speed most of the day (earlier it was well above) - as the evening hours approach and everyone settles in for the winter storm that's starting to ramp up, it's starting to quickly deteriorate despite no significant signal degradation yet.
(Edited)

Patrick Lee Burks

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Didn't they just recently launch a satellite. They should have anticipated congestion after starting an ad campaign around the same time of december and christmas and the new year. I've seen the commercials. I guess they feel that they're not making money if it's not congested. I say it's bad service if it is congested because I'm not getting anywhere close to advertised speeds. I'm on the unlimited silver. I'm glad I have my computer right where I want it because if my hard drives where to crash or I had to reinstall windows 10, I would be in trouble. It would take me two days or more to download everything. Also, even if I where to backup to the cloud, I would still have to download.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
Viasat-2 went into service last February. Things didn't quite go as planned with antenna deployment issues once it reached its orbital position. That requires some rethinking of their business strategy. Not making excuses, they don't need me to make excuses for them. It is what it is -  it works well for those  of us who have the flexibility to time shift our usage to non-peak usage periods and are on less utilized beams . By now you should have learned unlimited doesn't mean unlimited - it's a marketing ploy.

If something better comes along for me I'll jump ship. But for now it's this or nothing and I work hard to make it fit my needs. I don't backup to the cloud but rather locally to an external 4TB hard drive.
(Edited)

Patrick Lee Burks

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here's a screenshot of my download speed and upload speeds. It's at dial-up.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
Actually that's just about 4 to 5 times faster than dial-up. Dial-up was theoretically 56kbps and the norm was often much less - the best I ever achieved on dial-up was usually 19.2 kbps due to deteriorate copper lines in the areas I lived in. That's showing 250Kbps although dial-ups latency is greatly lower- but yeah it's still abysmal with today's web except for very basic web browsing.
(Edited)
Photo of Val

Val

• 20 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Our cycle just reset yesterday and its slower then usual for being non dapped. I did a test during LNFZ last night. We usually get about 18mb, we were only at 5mb. So something is up with the download speeds. Today it seems we are more of a dapped speed then 2nd day and only used maybe 1 GB so far. Things are slow to load. I havent tested as i dont want to use any of the little 10GB we have. For something that isnt my fault.
(Edited)
Photo of Val

Val

• 20 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
just did a test and its faster then it was during LNFZ.  Cuurently 9.5 for download and 2.4 for upload.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 597 Posts
  • 224 Reply Likes
My download speeds have been horrible for the last few days!  I think this is at least partly due to Viasat being available for new subs in my area.  I'm not sure when my area was reopened or if service is from VS-1 or VS-2.  I'm in zip 46936, Greentown, In area.  Anyone else noticed this?  Sophie Mae, are you still with us?  How is your service?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3168 Reply Likes

My speed is horrendous today too.  I was pulling under 400kbps at 6:00pm on a Sunday night.

With the weather is everybody staying in in the Midwest and using the internet?!?!?  Speeds right now are worse than they were in December, and that is saying something!

Patrick Lee Burks

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I completely forgot about the weather maybe having something to do with it. Thanks for suggesting the possibility.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 597 Posts
  • 224 Reply Likes
Don't think it is all weather related! This started a few days ago, before the storm forced more people to stay home.  I remember getting an email last month from Viasat saying they were changing some of the terminology about the way the speeds of our connection were described.  I figured they were just trying to CTA about the "speeds up to" part. Now I wonder if they were trying to get ahead of a S--t storm they knew was comming!  Unfortunately, I didn't think to keep that email!

Patrick Lee Burks

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well, one day last week my modem's connection went off and turned white after it came back on and turned blue that's when the speeds slowed.

Patrick Lee Burks

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Also, school starts tomorrow and I have to have the internet for possible videos and other things because I'm taking classes online.