What to do with the satellite dish (canceled)

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I was wondering what do I do with the satellite dish I cancled the service (got termination fee waived), sent the tria & modem back, and I took the satellite dish off the roof completely. So wondering what do I do with the satellite dish? It's just sitting in my closet in a trash bag only took it down because I thought I read they wanted that back to lol. 
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Glad you could cancel and found an alternative. It is recyclable metal, but not worth much.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
She can get cable where she lives. She shouldn't have signed up for Viasat in the first place.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Just keep crapping on the people that fell for the deceptive advertising.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
People on this forum warned her about going with satellite and she ignored the warnings. Her fault, not Viasat's.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1046 Posts
  • 635 Reply Likes
I am trying to remember who this was? Is this the woman in Arizona who I told she wouldn't be happy with it.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
She had some problems with the cable company over unpaid bills. Several folks here told her that she would be better off getting that problem squared away versus signing a 2 year contract with Viasat.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1046 Posts
  • 635 Reply Likes
Looking at old posts. It is! Just 3 months ago she said the service was great. The fact she got out of the contract with no penalty shows she had no business getting Viasat in the first place.

Well in the end I am glad she is in a better place now.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
At least Viasat did the right thing and waived the ETF.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1046 Posts
  • 635 Reply Likes
Indeed. We tried. I guess she came up with the money for Spectrum. While I know they have issues too, given the choice between the 2 is like using Pony Express vs Fed Ex overnight.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Nah I can't get spectrum out here. Where I live it's seriously only cox or satellite internet (litterally). I went back to cox in all honesty. Don't have the unlimited data plan (cox has a data limit of 1TB) or anything just 30MBPS for 50 bucks a month. 

Thing is eh all viasat is good for is web browsing in all honesty. I truly didn't have a issue with it my issue was the data cap and it being overpriced. A 100 bucks for 25 mbps & only 100GB of data that was my issue with it.

For family Netflix couldn't work (though hulu worked flawlessly go figure) then eh number one complaint was no online gaming. We also had direct tv now instead of actual direct tv & couldn't watch it. Ran off an atenna till we could get actual direct tv.

We actually did try to make Viasat work got a landline (different company), signed up for direct tv when we had the money, & etc. Though thing is the breaking point was the price. If there was a higher data limit and eh speeds for netflix (know gaming isn't going to work unless satellites become like extremely amazing but eh not going to happen any time soon.)

So eh once again the ultimate factor was the pricing in the end. The cancellation person I talked to over the phone tried to offer a discount would take 20 dollars off my bill for not canceling for like 3 months but eh had cox cut the wires to the satellite before I called to cancel. I mean eh satellite internet is seriously & truly is the very last last resort in all honesty. 

Though here is a funny thing. The funny thing is we had viasat sells people show up to the door 3-4 days ago trying to convince us Cox sucks & viasat is better especially, over the fact that they have truly unlimited data and 12 mbps is the fastest speed around go figure.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1046 Posts
  • 635 Reply Likes
And that is the real problem. You are spot on Courtney. If you can get cable, don't get satellite internet instead.  Sad that people are still representing satellite internet this way. High price, high latency, low data caps, low speeds at times. 

Glad you could get cable internet (whether Cox, Spectrum, or whatever...lol).
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Depending on your location, you could just put it out by the curb.  When I do that with scrap metal, it usually disappears in a day or two.  I think there are people that drive around looking for scrap that people leave out like that.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1229 Posts
  • 764 Reply Likes
And sometimes not just leave out!

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Yeah...that too!
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
That wouldn't work where I am, unless it would have a "free" sign on it.  I could set a  new recliner out there, worst that would happen is someone would ask "what's up with the chair by the road?".
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 122 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Trash, yard art, bird bath......
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
My Wildblue dish was placed behind the garage 6+ years ago.  It's not been touched, other than a few cows walking on it.

Lots of "art" and bird bath ideas as mentioned, people paint signs on them, scenes, etc.  In my area, people paint on old saw blades or steel tractor/old dump rake seats, two person tree saws, etc., these wouldn't be much different.

Still have the old metal/mesh c-band dish standing. I see some people use them as a roof for a shaded gazebo type thing.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2099 Posts
  • 1268 Reply Likes
You can use it as a saucer for sledding during the winter.  LOL.  
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
It would be interesting to hear exactly what happened, and how you went about getting out of the fees.  Might be useful information for some.
Photo of Courtney Rose

Courtney Rose

• 40 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Eh truthfully cancelled over the phone like I was supposed to. I got told I would owe them 325 dollars for canceling. I said OK so then I remembered hearing about viasat listens email. So next day I sent an email to viasat listens.

I told them about how I found out about viasat from door to door salesman all the stuff they said like unlimited data, garunteed faster internet then cox, Told them how I didn't like the automatic payments and that when signing up no one over the phone mentioned the payments would be automatic, that I couldn't afford the automatic payments because the due date was on a day I didn't get paid & would over draw my bank account, also mentioned all the smart devices & electronics that we had that ran off the internet. 

Next day I get en email back from viasat listens saying after carefully examing & viewing your account. We have deemed you where missold on our services & the fees will be waived.

So eh just assuming I got lucky but eh told them the truth. I signed up through door to door sales people, no one said there would be automatic payments, I seriously couldn't afford the automatic payments, and we have like 11 or 12 electronic devices that connect to the internet. 
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Sounds like Viasat needs to get in touch with dishonest salespeople and dealers for lying about the service. Brad, are you listening?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3463 Posts
  • 1298 Reply Likes
We have processes for that and like in Courtney's case we do send it back to the point of sale
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3491 Posts
  • 1307 Reply Likes
Just to echo everyone else. Do what you want with the Dish. We don't ask for that part back. In the spirit of Earth Day yesterday I'd say recycle it

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Or...you could set it up in the woods and use it for target practice!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
That's what I do with old TVs and appliances. Great fun blowing the hell out of them with my 12 gauge.
Photo of Brody

Brody

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
God I wish I could still have cable. New to Viasat/DirecTV and they both suck right after installation. I am beginning to think the "service call" is not so unexpected on their end. If I wasnt a curious person I would have never known 110 bucks a month was getting me grade A crap for internet service; and another 200 for the DirecTV package, where features like Rewind are SOOO Awesome...NEVER work! 

About your dish though, I am with McDowell. If I wasn't using mine I would have already had it set up for target practice. 

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Sounds to me like you may have had a lousy installer. One of my neighbors has both Viasat and Directv and he's quite satisfied with both.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2014 Posts
  • 1231 Reply Likes
and another 200 for the DirecTV package, where features like Rewind are SOOO Awesome...NEVER work! 
Are you referring to the rewind of On Demand?  If so, please keep in mind that DirecTV receivers can use a lot of data, and for things other than On Demand.  Even if you never watch a single thing On Demand they can still use a significant amount of data for Guide/Program updates and the like.  I have a sneaking suspicion that they also use data for downloading the instant watch movies that are usually downloaded through their own dish. 

Connecting a DirecTV receiver to ViaSat, or any other ISP with a relatively small data cap, is a bad idea.  
Photo of Bluebird

Bluebird

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
id have way more fun setting the dish on fire dancing in circles around it and laughing and randomly shooting it
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3131 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
You must have a non standard dish if you can set it on fire. The real Viasat dishes are made of steel, which doesn't burn.

Great weekend entertainment as usual.

Michael McDowell

• 641 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
You just have to build a pyre and squirt some charcoal starter on it!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3131 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
Just remember to take it off your roof first, otherwise you will have a very exciting fire.
Photo of Smith

Smith

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just use jetfuel on it, I hear it melts steel 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Keep it to beat the heck out of to release stress when they charge you for not sending back the equipment you sent back LOL 
Photo of David S.

David S.

• 33 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Bird Bath