What speeds do I get once I use my 150gb?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Photo of Brandon Hilt

Brandon Hilt

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2278 Posts
  • 1985 Reply Likes
Q: What happens if I use greater than 150 GB of data during my monthly billing period?
A: If you use greater than 150 GB of data during your monthly billing period:
   Your web and email speeds may not be slower, but other types of internet traffic, including video streaming, will be slower until the end of your monthly billing period, which will prevent you from streaming video on multiple devices and may not allow you to stream high definition video.
   You will have lower priority on our network until the end of your monthly billing period. This may result in slower speeds for all your internet traffic during periods of congestion, as described in ViaSat’s Exede Network Management Policy.
   You will not receive up to 25 Mbps download speeds for the remainder of your monthly billing period if you are a subscriber to a 25 Mbps service plan.
    We may contact you and request that you reduce your monthly usage below 150 GB or transition to another service plan. If you do neither, we may terminate your service.
   We may take additional actions in the future to further slow or restrict your service if you use more than 150 GB of data during your monthly billing period. If we do so, we will update this Bandwidth Usage Policy to describe these additional actions.    http://www.exede.com/legal/
(Edited)
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 415 Posts
  • 218 Reply Likes
Have you ever run a speed Test? Curious if you are getting anything close to 25 Mbps.I am only getting about 8, not happy
Photo of Terri Sisson

Terri Sisson

• 28 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I get around 6-8 at full speed, during unthrottled, low traffic times.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3152 Posts
  • 1118 Reply Likes
In addition to Jim's response (directly from our website if you need to read more on it), You do have an option to buy more priority data as well
Photo of WishIhadaBetterOption

WishIhadaBetterOption

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
How kind of Exede to provide an option to add extra data at $10 a gig!  What a joke when an HD movie on Netflix uses 3-5 gigs.  When it's broken down the freedom plan cost $100 a month for 150 gigs of data, thats only $1.50 a gig.  What I hate most about this company is their total disregard for any decent customer service and their fetish for taking advantage of and gouging a customer base that has no other option for internet.      
Photo of Terri Sisson

Terri Sisson

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I'm not sure why it's so slow! Even when I had my "unlimited " internet from 3 am to 8 am, it was sometimes unusable. If I rebooted my router, it would improve speeds - usually between 2-4 Gb, but one time I got 8. But NEVER even close to the 25 they advertise.

Has customer service ever commented on why your speeds are so slow?
Photo of Terri Sisson

Terri Sisson

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Oh - and I just tested. My data just started, so it should be full speed. 9am on a Sunday (should be slower traffic on the beam) and I got 6Gb. ITs making the $8,000 Comcast wants to run a line to my house worth considering. (But - if I only had the money!). So jealous of people who have true unlimited high speed data.
Photo of Terri Sisson

Terri Sisson

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
ggg - .24 is not even enough to load a web page. I know for a fact! I can't even check email at .4. And Exede is too expensive to be giving these speeds!
Photo of brella

brella

• 88 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
One rep will tell me congestion and there is nothing I can do, another rep will tell me my speeds are too low for just congestion. Not sure where you are but do a search for WISP(wireless internet service provider) in your area. One here provides unlimited and you can pick your speed.
Photo of Barry Paepcke

Barry Paepcke

• 94 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I just quit wireless a joke they say unlimited data but the cell phone company has extremely limited data not worth it 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2278 Posts
  • 1985 Reply Likes
$10 a gig for overage data is one of the LOWEST prices you will find from any ISP.
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
So the gougers stick together. It's still an outrageous price, and it's imposed on people who mostly have no choice of providers.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 415 Posts
  • 218 Reply Likes
They got to make the money while this is only delivery technology for people in rural areas.
Photo of Lance Garrett Dean

Lance Garrett Dean

• 14 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Agree, we just have to deal with this crap the best we can until someone else comes along..
Photo of Ray Storla

Ray Storla

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
No one else is going to come. Oh, maybe one out of Canada who can't compete. Hughes is owned by DISH Network, and if you want some cheese with your whine, by all means, give them a try. Call their customer service lines and see who is answering the phone.

I absolutely despise Hughes customer service. Last time I spoke with them, I sat on the phone for THREE HOURS with three levels of India's finest tech assistance doing the same thing over and over and over before they admitted the problem was on their end and that a fourth level tech would be calling back to help.

Satellites are not cheap. Ask DISH, they have something like seventeen of them. They have probably 12 million customers paying about a 100 bucks a month just for TV, and they are global too.

Talk about gouging, the cable industry used our tax dollars to bury fiber optics all over the country and what do they do? They throttle back the capability to get more money. Again, satellite is far from fiber. Fiber has much more capacity, yet the US lags behind almost the entire world because of corporate America gets away with squeezing every dollar they can. They price by "what the market can bear" rather than what's fair.

I'm looking at a Cable One price list right now. The "Lite Plan" starts at 40.00 a month, which is still too high for a base entry (IMO). But jump up to their best Internet only service and it's a whopping 175.00 a month. Again, they are using fiber that a large percentage was paid for by our own tax dollars.

Commercial Satellites are not paid for by taxes. That's not to say our taxes don't buy satellites for Government use, but that's not the same. And yes, our taxes invested into seeing if it all could work- many years ago. And as far as I can tell the US doesn't subsidize commercial launches like other countries do... which is why most of our satellite are launched by foreign countries. So DISH/Hughes and Viasat are doing this on their own merit... as far as I can find information on.

Rural America is a niche. Two companies are competing for that niche. There are also terrestrial services moving in on that niche in line of sight patches. That is the only "Someone else" that may come along... correcting my initial statement.

I too would still like to see (a lot of) improvement in Exede's customer service, but I've had a taste of the other (years ago) and it was much worse. Also, deal with a local dealer because you (might) have a chance at having someone else looking out for you. Some of the smaller dealers take their customer service seriously. The "elite dealers"... probably are into quantity than quality, I can't say.
Photo of Ray Storla

Ray Storla

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Internet has always been an evolution. You had phone line at 56k, then came DSL which started at 200k then went up over the years, then there was cable at 1Mbps that went up through the years. Life did not start out at 50Mbps or higher. Same with satellite internet. Anyone here ever start out with Starband? 700kbps if you were lucky. You folks in the boonies need to move into the city. Don't tell me about how you'll miss out on the country life, because the country life misses out on city life.

Fact is, today's toys suck internet data. Netflix, Hulu, etc. sucks data. Get DISH or DirecTv to watch TV, but keep them off the net... because they suck data too. Face it, satellite internet is not there to compete with cable or DSL. They are making strides, but they can't be your cable system. Things will improve with newer satellites, but you can't expect fiber optic quality from satellite.

I'm not saying there is not room for improvement on things with satellite internet, because I believe there is. I could suggest there needs to be a little more inter-communication between the customer service reps and the techs who know what is going on... besides an email. Satellite Internet is evolving. New satellites take time to build and launch and there are many waiting for "the new satellite".

The best I can suggest is: Find out what devices or applications are using data. And turn off (use "always ask you" mode) the Adobe Flash player.
Photo of Terri Sisson

Terri Sisson

• 28 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
This is true - but with the evolution of these toys, the amount of data that basic applications use (say, email or web browsing) uses more inherently. So, when I'm paying a significantly higher rate for service that can't even load my email when I'm not throttled, I'm frustrated. Paying for a service that doesn't work. I will never think that satellite will compete with cable, but I just want something that I pay for to actually be something I can use! I think this is why so many are frustrated.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 147 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I was told by techs that I get 250K and nothing can be done about it unless I buy more data.
i have gotten less.. seriously
1/13/2017 8:40 download = PM0.22 Mbps  up 2.37 Mbps99.196.204.20Chicago, IL 
 1/13/2017 8:12 download = PM0.21 Mbps  up 2.80 Mbps99.196.204.20Chicago, IL 
 1/13/2017 8:11 download =PM0.22 Mbps    up1.45 Mbps99.196.204.20Chicago, IL
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2278 Posts
  • 1985 Reply Likes
Simple solution...stay within your data allowance or buy more data.....you wanting free unlimited internet when you run out of data isn't going to happen, with Exede or ANY ISP.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 147 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
No was specifically told by the sales rep  that i would default to 5 meg once my data plan was
spent, then after installation read on the paper work work where it specifically says "1-5" and now 
to my disappointment often down to 1/5th of a meg. Whats so hard to understand the issue here?

Never had a problem with my frontiernet providing all the data that i was using. was never throttled after a using a certain amount,????? so much for absolutes
(Edited)
Photo of Danielle Brennan

Danielle Brennan

• 82 Posts
  • 119 Reply Likes
Times have changed ggg rt. Most ISPs now have data limits because the way internet usage has blossomed. You also need to look at the Exede data usage document for the Liberty Plan, it clearly states that during times that the network as lower traffic, on the Pass, speeds will be in the 1 to 5 Mbps. During the evenings, and when there is high usage of the  network, speeds will be much lower, and using the internet may not be possible.

Sales people will tell you whatever you wat to hear to make the sale. You should have reviewed the documents on the Exede website before you committed to the contract.
Photo of brella

brella

• 88 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I read the freedom plan FAQ on the website where it tells me they can "offer this kind of incredible data plan without compromising service speed and quality." and "our goal is to offer as much data as we can while keeping our network uncongested and at download speeds at or above 12 Mbps." Maybe exede needs to edit their website. My speeds are pretty much like this every evening and weekends. I have used 22 of my 150 gb.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
The results above appear to be from a mobile device...

You may want to identify both the device in question as well as the wifi router being used. There are some known issues with certain devices and certain routers yielding slow wifi on mobile devices.     
Photo of brella

brella

• 88 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply. I have tested with my laptop hardwired to the exede modem and nothing else on the network and get those speeds. I have used speedtest.Net and testmy.net. Exede kept getting am error trying g to run test Friday night. Modem was replaced friday and didn't help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
(Edited)
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 838 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
this is what my speeds are when imma onto the freedom plan :3 but yet sometimes when imma onto the peek hours my speeds become slow. but the weekends imma lil slow but not too slow. i can also go onto my xbox one or ps4 just fine. also my wii u and 3ds and also my cell phone. also go onto youtube and also download videos also :3

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.