What Security Cameras do I buy to use with My Viasat internet?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I have Viasat satellite wifi, I want to install wireless, waterproof, solar powered security cameras that I can check on remotely. Does anyone have a recommendation as to brand? Also note I am not tech savvy at all so I do not know how to change tech type numbers, etc.
Photo of Bonnie Joshi

Bonnie Joshi

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 499 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
I wouldnt use this wifi for security cameras. Unreliable at best
Photo of Bonnie Joshi

Bonnie Joshi

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This is absolutely the only internet that is offered where I live.  It is very remote.

Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 169 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Reolink is a great little unit that will reconnect. Amazon offers the solar panel + camera bundles at a discount, and their cloud is free. Many settings allow you to tweak resolution, sensitivity etc., which might be really important depending on which plan you have. They also support sd micro cards, so they can be used without wifi too.
Photo of Bonnie Joshi

Bonnie Joshi

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you for the information!! I am going to check these out now!!
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 169 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
The cloud is free for one camera, and the most affordable for multiple cameras. If you don't have good southern exposure or obstructions, their stand alone solar panels have higher output. They have great customer service too!
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 53 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I use Blink by Amazon (I have 5 cameras). I’ve had really good luck with them. They have a long battery life, free cloud service, and have been very good for me. They also have TOP NOTCH customer service. My recommendation, before taking the dive please go to YouTube and watch several reviews and comparisons. What might be right for some aren’t for others. I know Reolink, Blink, Eufy, and a few others only send information (use data) when they detect motion.
(Edited)
Photo of Bonnie Joshi

Bonnie Joshi

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks, I will check these out also!!
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 169 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
I had considered the Blink camera too, because of the battery life, but they require a hub, they were more expensive, and they had a lot of negative reviews, which is ultimately why I went another direction.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 363 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
You do not want nor need a cloud service - streaming to the cloud will blow thru your data cap in no time.

Sounds like what you want/need is to view when you want and/or be notified if there is motion detected.

So long as your wifi is robust enough to reach your camera location

I have 2 Reolink POE cameras & am happy with them, not a fan of outdoor wifi cameras...
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 53 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Blink cameras won’t blow through data. They only upload short clips (5-60 seconds) when motion is detected, they are not POE cameras. Having cloud storage has its benefits. We don’t know what she wants or needs, the best advice is to get opinions, CORRECT information, and do her research.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 363 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Many cameras have internal storage for motion events.

If you get an email/text there was motion, you can log in to camera and view the past motion events as well as live view.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 169 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Power over ethernet is ideal with measured data, but since she specifically asked about solar powered wifi units, I went with my best recommendation. I'm no longer a viasat user because much better internet finally became available, so I have no clue as to how much data is being used when on rare occasion, the motion detection wakes up my camera, but I am sure that I would have made as many tweaks as possible to minimize data consumption, and there are quite a few settings for that purpose.
(Edited)
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 187 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I've got 2 of the Reolink Argus Pro cameras. Waterproof, rechargeable or solar powered. They work great with my Viasat internet. Easy setup. These are wifi. Amazon and Ebay has them, cheaper on ebay. 
(Edited)