What is your take on running Google DNS or OpenDNS on your router with exede? Bad or good idea?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

So, what your take on using a third party DNS with Exede on your router (or machines separate) instead of 99.196.99.99 or 99.197.99.99 ?  I noticed a VERY SMALL amount of ms added when using 8.8.8.8 instead.
Photo of TheName141 .

TheName141 .

• 164 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
That you are not likely receiving the full benefits offered by either since you're still going through Exede's DNS servers while adding some additional overhead - some describe this as DNS hijacking, I describe it as common sense solution to ensure that Exede works while giving the illusion of speed (and some of it is real speed) that the Accelenet client/server technologies provide . Just my take... anything beyond that requires work. 
(Edited)
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I had considered using their DNS as well, but like Lab Rescuer says, I knew the overhead would really be too much.  Also, how do you know that Google isn't tracking your every move?  Personally, tracking is enabled everywhere, but to willingly give it to them by using their servers....well...

Anyway, I would not use any other servers.
Photo of TheName141 .

TheName141 .

• 164 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
You are worried about tracking and use the internet ?!
Photo of LesT

LesT

• 46 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I wasn't clear on what was meant.  Just don't want to add another source that will not only track, but save all data forever.  Google does not clear tracking data.  It will always be there.  If you use their servers, you open yourself up to a more in depth tracking system.

No need to worry about tracking.  Been going on forever, just getting more efficient.
Photo of pyrotuc

pyrotuc

• 19 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
what if he doesnt have anything to hide? 

haha

i use my own DNS servers, i have services through dynect (NOT dynamic dns, but rather the enterprise side of the operation). ive never used opendns or even looked into it miuch, but my understanding/assumtion was that one used it for security reasons, not for speed.

for whatever reasons, my data use seems to be lower when i use my own DNS, and do what i can to bypass exedes. i think it probably has to do with how accelent sends you all the data you might possibly request, rather than what you actually request.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.