What is with the SLOW slow speeds every night down to .37 MBPS in good weather

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Everyday from starting about 7-8 pm speed is terrible and stays that way all night. As low as .37 MPS and right now at 11 pm speed is 4.28 MPS. Can't stream nothing. Took 25 minutes to D/L 22 MB. This is terrible. I have the Freedom Plan and only have used 17 GB in 7 days. Have had service over 4 years I think. I am in NW Florida. Am I the only one affected or what? Any suggestions or who can help. I deal with local Co-op EREC. 
Photo of Yotabota

Yotabota

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3615 Posts
  • 2110 Reply Likes
Its primetime congestion. Not much you can do. You could move to Viasat-2, but you will sacrifice your Freedom plan for "unlimited" plan that offers less priority data.
Photo of Yotabota

Yotabota

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
It wasn't this bad started few months back. Freedom plan is worthless if you can't use it. Been loosing about 50 GB month due to service. Bad enough days and times with weather in Florida then add this speed and it is almost worthless to do anything but look at web pages and email.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 889 Posts
  • 546 Reply Likes
As time goes on the beams, gateways and satellite get more full, and congestion gets worse.  It's the nature of the beast on a system that has a much more restricted throughput than ground based systems.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3365 Posts
  • 1935 Reply Likes
Not necessarily more subs on a beam, but with more people having "unlimited", Freedom, or Liberrty plans, existing subs are eating more data than ever.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 889 Posts
  • 546 Reply Likes
Ah, yeah, those unlimited plans....Ugh.  Great for the sub (maybe), but not so great for other subs.  LOL.  

I could just see it if my ISP had offered plans like that.  It'd be like molasses on a winter day.  Then again, they don't have the type of system breakdown that can handle those plans like ViaSat does.  Less options, but less confusing, too.  
Photo of Dennis Williams

Dennis Williams

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am just asking that, are you using vpn or not maybe because of this your internet speed slow down or there more user on the server or IP which you are using. this is the two reason which slows down your internet.
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 47 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have the same problem. Was great for a few months after the new satellite came into service; last couple of months back to congestion. How can that be, especially with all the new capacity?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 996 Posts
  • 613 Reply Likes
To quote VeteranSatUser, "with more people having "unlimited", Freedom, or Liberrty plans, existing subs are eating more data than ever".  And with that heavier load on the beams, gateways, and the system as a whole, it adds up.   
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 47 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Just a few months after the new satellite is in service -- this is GREATLY at odds with what was represented by Viasat. No need to point out the obvious again.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 996 Posts
  • 613 Reply Likes
No need to point out the obvious again. 
Well, you asked.  
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 47 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
...and you missed the gist of the issue -- Viasat's not providing what was represented.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3518 Posts
  • 2044 Reply Likes
Now you are pointing out the obvious :).

Things might get better in a few weeks with school back, but wait until December. You ain't seen nuttin yet!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 996 Posts
  • 613 Reply Likes
How can that be, especially with all the new capacity?
Congestion.
No need to point out the obvious again.
If the answer is so obvious, why ask the question in the first place, especially if you already saw the answer given, indicated by your addendum of "again"?  Why not just stick to complaining about the issue?  Do you often ask questions to which you already know the answer, then act as if the one who provides the answer to your question is ridiculous to have given such?   
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Yotabota, I'm in the panhandle of FL as well....Chipley, FL. The VS1 beam you and I are on is super congested at night. I was hoping that when they closed our beam to new subs that the speeds would slowly but steadily get back to decent levels.....hasn't happened. People's usage literally grows daily so even though bandwidth is being freed up daily by the natural loss of customers (moving, discos, death, etc) it is being gobbled up immediately. 

Since you are dealing with a COOP, you DO have the option of becoming a Viasat 2 customer because COOP customers aren't considered current customers. As of right now, speeds on our VS2 beam is around 14-17mbps down at night during peak hours. Now SOME areas of NW FL are already closed to new VS2 subs but if you want to call the store, Erin can look up your address in the verification system and see if this is an option for you. If you are close enough, I could even install you myself. 

Put this in your address bar and it will bring up a list of local dealers in the Panhandle, I'm the one at the top. Clear Choice. https://www.exede.com/locate-a-dealer/?zip=32428

Andy

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
A true champion!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1023 Posts
  • 628 Reply Likes
Nice, Andy.  I like your ratings.  A good dealer's always a plus.  :)  

Edit:  And you're in a couple Youtube videos, too!  I'll have to check them out later.  
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Those videos are how Viasat found out about me and contacted me on becoming a dealer. I've been in the electronics business since 1984, so a lot of what I know simply comes from years and years of trial and error. A man told me years ago "Andy, you simply can't teach experience". Seemed like an odd thing to say at the time.....34 yrs later it makes a lot of sense. 

Andy
Photo of Ivan Bludnik

Ivan Bludnik

• 86 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
It might be time for you to find something else to do. I think people your age should not be climbing ladders and going on other people's' roofs. It just is not worth the risk.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3578 Posts
  • 2091 Reply Likes
I will give you that.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Heck...I'm just 54....most folks think I'm in my late 30s. When I used to take along help....usually in their late teens are early 20s.....they could never keep up and would complain that I worked too hard. My Grandfather was loading hay and doing all the chores that are required of a cattle farmer in his late 70s. Guess I got his genes.

Andy aka in shape but still former Champion