What is the Ethernet cable used for

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Where do I hook Ethernet cable to the first hole or the second oneit up,and what it is used for on my Direct TV sat.
Photo of Michael West

Michael West

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Bill Ross

Bill Ross

• 38 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I don’t know where you plug it in at but a Ethernet Cable sends the WiFi directly to a station(Direct TV, a console, etc). The internet will only be available one thing. If that’s no use someone else will pop up along.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 973 Posts
  • 599 Reply Likes
Ethernet and WiFi are two different methods of connection.  An Ethernet cable doesn't send WiFi anywhere.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3483 Posts
  • 2019 Reply Likes
Highly recommend you DO NOT plug your Directv receiver into the Viasat modem.
Photo of Bill Ross

Bill Ross

• 38 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Oh, sorry bro.
Photo of Michael West

Michael West

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Why shouldn't I plug it in to the modem?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3483 Posts
  • 2019 Reply Likes
Because it will eat your data away at an incredible rate. Your Directv receiver will work just fine without being connected to the internet.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 973 Posts
  • 599 Reply Likes
Like VeteranSatUser, I highly recommend that you DO NOT connect your DirecTV receiver to your ViaSat internet due to the tremendous amount of data that it can use, even when you aren't actively viewing anything On Demand.  It can use data for Guide and program updates, as well as all corresponding information for each program/movie, like cast lists, Parental info, etc.  I also suspect that it downloads through the internet the instant watch films that you sometimes see in the 500 channel range that are normally downloaded through DirecTV's own dish.  

As an alternative, you can stream directly from the DirecTV site on various devices, as well as stream with the individual movie channel apps, if you already subscribe to those channels.  

I sometimes stream from the DirecTV site, or use the HBO GO or MAX GO apps, and do so on my laptop, which I can then connect to my TV using an HDMI cable.  This way, I'm still watching it on my TV, yet I control how much data is being used rather than taking the chance of the DirecTV receiver burning through a ton of it.   
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3483 Posts
  • 2019 Reply Likes
And they do burn a ton. Dont let Directv off the hook by utilizing other means to provide its content. Keep it isolated!

I dont allow my Blu-Ray or Smartv to he hooked to Viasat either, unless I authorize it to watch a particular piece of content. Otherwise, who knows how much data these devices would be burning through without my knowledge.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 973 Posts
  • 599 Reply Likes
Same here.  I've connected my Smart TV before to watch Youtube videos, but I disassociated the connection after I was finished as I don't trust what my TV might do, data wise, when I'm not actively controlling it.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3483 Posts
  • 2019 Reply Likes
My Blu-Ray is used to watch Netflix, but there are also settings on it to turn off the downloading of "additional" content. 

Customers just need to do some research and figure out the recommended settings to connect any device that might each too much data when connected to Viasat. 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 973 Posts
  • 599 Reply Likes
I doubt that my TV would do anything without me knowing, and I have everything locked down pretty tight, but I still don't trust it, anyway.  And I use, or would use, the Smart part of the TV so rarely it's best for me to just leave it disconnected.  

Though I don't do a whole lot of the streaming with my laptop that I mentioned, I'll probably do more of it in the future.  I'm itching to watch The Sopranos and Oz again.  

I wish HBO would let a program be downloaded so that it can be watched at any time, but I fully understand why they don't.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3483 Posts
  • 2019 Reply Likes
With PlayOn and a HBOGo account, can't you do that?  Just record the content via PlayOn and watch whenever.

BTW... HBO series when they were great.  Oz, Sopranos, Deadwood.  Loved them all.   I really don't know why I have still carry HBO.  Not into GOT and I just don't find their series appealing anymore.  Netflix has spoiled me!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 973 Posts
  • 599 Reply Likes
I don't know if I could do that.  I suppose so, but I don't know.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3483 Posts
  • 2019 Reply Likes
What's to know? If you got a HBO Go account, get a PlayOn Cloud subscription, record content to it, download content from the cloud to your computer, watch anytime and how often you want.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 973 Posts
  • 599 Reply Likes
What's to know is whether HBO Go is PlayOn friendly.  Apparently it is.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3483 Posts
  • 2019 Reply Likes
Being that I use it, yes it is. I wouldn't have recommended it to you if it wasn't! Lol