What is the bit rate on the Silver 480p video plan?

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
I currently have netflix on "medium" quality and this provides encodings up to 1.00 mbps.  I can check this clicking the info button on my samsung smart tv.  Netflix has dynamic encoding algorithms that encodes "action" shows at 480p and "talky" shows at 720 when using 1.00 mbps.

Excede telling me I'll get 480p quality on the Silver plan really doesn't tell me anything useful.  What is the bandwidth limit for streaming?  Is it 1.00 mbps?  higher? 

How does this optimization work?
Photo of Aaron Anderson

Aaron Anderson

• 19 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Its been asked a few times but they wont say i would like no know also.I have tested hulu under 1.5 Mbps and it just buffers non stop.i tested with a limiting router that im using now to limit my bandwith.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1859 Posts
  • 1531 Reply Likes
It seems there is a wide range for 480p.  It would be nice if we knew what they are going to use.

https//d2r1vs3d9006apcloudfrontnet/s3_images/1663016/RackMultipart20171018-50580-tit10t-Snap3png1508369990
Photo of Aaron Anderson

Aaron Anderson

• 19 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
If they are using 2.5mbps, everything on netflix will actually show up in 720p+.  Netflix is extremely efficient with their encoding algorithms.  I don't know about other video providers. 
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hope they chime in soon kind of weird that they wont just say what it is.
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I use binge on 1.5Mbps hotspot and hulu netflix and amazon work no issue not hd but looks decent to me 2.5 would be 720p on hulu also.Edited
(Edited)
Photo of Aaron Anderson

Aaron Anderson

• 19 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hughesnet's Gen 5 service offers video saver technology as well and they explicitly state their bit rates of 480 being around 1.1mbps. 

It would be nice if Exede had as much transparency as their chief competitor.

https://www.mydish.com/internet/satellite

Streaming is optimized with video streams at DVD quality (up to 480p). For best performance, leave any video streaming applications at their default automatic resolution setting. Most video services are supported. 3 times is based on average HD bit rate of 3.6 Mbps vs. DVD quality at 1.1 Mbps.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Something I discovered today is that if one downloads a VOD from DishNetwork is shows the bitrate on the menu screen. The one I was downloading to watch later (it was streaming to disk) had a bitrate all over the place from .7 to 2.5Mbps. This was on a Silver Unlimited over the 150 gig threshhold. Download speeds at that time were running from 5 to 10 Mbps.
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
May i ask if u could run fast.com a couple times its netflix speed test and will show speed for streaming.I use it on tmobile binge on i turn binge on on it shows 1.5Mbps when i disable it show 25Mbps should work for exede the same way.
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 53 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
“Turn binge on/off” How do you do that? 1.5Mbps 3 times on fast.com
(Edited)
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
U asking about tmobile binge on right?
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 53 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
No, u said, “should work for exede the same way.” how is that?
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
O the test should show the true speed since netflix speed test shows streaming speeds
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
So if u keep getting 1.5Mbps im thinking that thats the speed of new unlimited plan.For streaming video
(Edited)
Photo of David Kingman

David Kingman

• 53 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
I just switched to Silver Unlimited from Freedom plan. I have seen more stopping/streaming after the switch but we have had some weather since we switched over.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1859 Posts
  • 1531 Reply Likes
This is what Netflix is recommending for streaming speeds....

Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
1.5 Not that bad that what i set my exede speeds to with router already.I wish exede would just tell us what speeds they are using.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3301 Posts
  • 3281 Reply Likes
For those into it and an interesting read, some really technical info from Netflix can be found at:

https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/per-title-encode-optimization-7e99442b62a2 

Link courtesy of DrStranglov over at DSL Reports.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
480p works out to about 1 Mbps stream
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Wow hulu would not run with 1Mbps i have set up router at 1Mbps and just buffers and that would be lowest quality 480p on netflix.cant wait try it when the setting comes to my freedom plan to try it but with that low could not see it working well at all besides on mobile device.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2498 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
So I need to ask this question. One person watching a show streaming, another person is browsing the internet elsewhere in the house. Would the browsing speed be impacted by the streaming going on? In other words, if there is streaming occurring on the account, is the speed reduced for all users of the account at that time?
(Edited)
Photo of Alex

• 671 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
Yes. That's why we recommend people pick higher-speed plans when they can if they have multiple users in the house. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 992 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
Wow. I didn’t expect that. So anytime Exede’s software senses streaming, I’m stuck at 1Mbps for my entire household? I picked the highest plan offered to me, Silver Unlimited. Assuming the video streaming needs the majority of that (if not all), how does that make sense in a house with more than one person and multiple devices?

I’m guessing the plans really weren’t meant for people to stream video. If I promise not to, can I have the full 25 Mbps? Being funny, but up to 25Mbps usually means like 7Mbps at this very moment. What about when that nasty network congestion happens? Are we still impacted where we fall well below 1Mbps?

Uggg.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2498 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
Thank you for the reply Alex. Good to know.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3301 Posts
  • 3281 Reply Likes
Wow. I didn’t expect that. So anytime Exede’s software senses streaming, I’m stuck at 1Mbps for my entire household?
No that's not the case (if it is Houston or Englewood, then we have a problem and holy hell is about to break loose since there'd be no real advantage to a higher bandwidth package).

Your Exede bandwidth (12 Mpbs, 25 Mbps or 30 Mbps) is shared among all users (or devices) in your household "up to" the specidied limit. . All data is sent in packets rather than one big blob - allowing multiple requests/responses to be serviced simultaneously (or appearing to be at the speeds their being serviced). The better the router you have the better and more efficient sharing and quality of service you receive. That's what many router manufacturers base their claim to superiority on - more efficient sharing of a resource - the internet connection.

Higher bandwidth packages allow for more simultaneous users/devices.

Depending on Unlimited plan chosen, each device will receive the video streaming rate specified (360P, 480P or 720P).

One of the major factors in selecting a plan based on speed (i.e. bandwidth) should be the need for it based on number of users/devices in the household or activities.

Out side of 4K Ultra there are few activities requiring 25 Mbps -  it's nice to have for downloads but you can always wait for those to complete without watching the prograss bar. Browsing requires very little bandwidth.   

Just as total bandwidth is shared on your beam, your share of it, your household bandwidth, is shared at the router level for your household.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 992 Posts
  • 323 Reply Likes
Maybe I misunderstood the Exede rep then. Hope you’re right.
Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
If Imunderstand my speed tests the answer is “no”.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3006 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
Old labs I hope you're right too, throttling the whole account is ridiculous just because one user is streaming in the house and another is downloading. If that's the case, I won't be downloading while hubby is home-  he likes to let FB load videos and, is a YT addict LOL. (Actually a video addict, either TV, computer, phone or, tablet has to have a video going all of the time for him - sometimes all of them at once.)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3301 Posts
  • 3281 Reply Likes
I think it was just a misinterpreation of the question VeteranSatUser was asking - with unlimited, a video stream is detected and that specific video stream is throttled. If two users are streaming on the account, then each stream is throttled separately to the threshhold for the plan - part of the confusion stems from the use of the ubiquitous use of the term speed rather than bandwidth (i.e. capacity). Assuming it's throttled to 1 Mbps for each on a 25 Mbps plan there's still "up to" 23 Mpbs available to other hoesehold devices (or tasks). 

Your capacity (e.g. 25 Mbps), is shared in your household by all devices - it's why you can download files and still browse (or walk and chew gum at the same time). The more capacity your account has more can be shared among devices/users.

If that's not the case, it's going to look like the opening scene of Gladiator around here - "At my signal, unleash hell..." and I expect the wolf dogs to lead the assault... 

(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3006 Posts
  • 1249 Reply Likes
I will test it this weekend. I will run tests on my rig while my husband is streaming on his computer. I expect to see 8-10 Mbps or better (depending on time of day) on mine while he streams. If I get 1 to 1.5 Mbps, I will suspect account throttling.

If that's the case, Halo, Silver and Knight will be unleashed to lead the charge. :P (FYI, that's my wolfdogs.) I'll toss in Inch High, my 10 week old tom cat - he's small but, those teeth and claws of his can do a number on bare skin LOL.
Photo of Alex

• 671 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
No, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was just saying that the more users you have on your account, the slower the service would be for the household (and this is true no matter the ISP). How much it's slowed depends on a great many factors but we wouldn't throttle it as described above.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3300 Posts
  • 3280 Reply Likes
That's a relief... I was starting to pull my trebuchet into position ;)
Photo of Alex

• 671 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
Siege engines will get you nowhere. :)
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I got the optimizer today on freedom plan and did tests and i show it using 1.5-2Mbps Mbps not 1 Mbps fast.com shows real speeds for streaming video. turn it off shows 18Mbps on 25 Boost.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3300 Posts
  • 3280 Reply Likes
Was that Netflix by any chance?

That would seem to be more in line with the minimum bandwidth needed to support smooth streaming of Netflix per title encoding optimization, noted in the tech blog link above - depending on title there are two differnet horizontal x vertical resolutions (and a number of other factors) requiring a bitrate requiring in the range 1050 - 1750 kbps (1.05 - 1.75 Mbps).

Throw in some additional margin of error on ViaSat's part to cover both cases (640 x 480 and 720 x 480) and 2 Mbps would seem a good choice to influence NetFlix to deliver 480P.
(Edited)
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
It seems to fluctuate a little to much till it gets going but arrow max at 1.05 but im set on medium
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I did about 10 test and 8 out of 10 pulled 2Mbps Month just started over so fresh 150gb so looks like its going be better then i would of thought.Time will tell if they lower it though.Edit After more testing seems like netflix will not play smoothly though it flucuates way to much goes top of 480 then drops to 0.25 and lower to 0.18 then back up not consistant at all.
(Edited)
Photo of Gerald Reed

Gerald Reed

• 41 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Update I cant get the optimizer to work with netflix quality just  flucuates  every few seconds none stop but it is working for hulu amazon and cbs all access.Not sure the issue with netflix i have reset modem turned setting on netflix to low medium and auto and just goes back and forth from 1.05 Mbps to 0.18 then 0.83 Mbps then 0.18 etc constantly.Does work with other services i have tried very well.
(Edited)