What is reasonable?

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
Well I know that for the Freedom (New) users service has been really bad lately, and I know that Viasat has a right to run their service any way they want. Lately my service has been consistently below 1Mbps and more to the <500Kbps speeds. So my question is what is a resonable speed. I pay for "Up to 12Mbps" and technically speaking <500Kbps is "up to" but is that reasonable?
Photo of jim ikner

jim ikner

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • very disappointed..

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 647 Posts
  • 401 Reply Likes

No.  It is not.  They will tell you can do one of three things.  You can cancel your service, you can change your plan (most likely pay more for less priority data), or you can keep what you got and deal with slow speeds anytime for whatever reason, regardless of how much data you have used.

The choice is all yours!
Photo of bill nord

bill nord

• 55 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Sometimes your equipment can cause very slow speeds especially if the dish is out of alignment. Run a speed test in the early morning hours, say around 4:30am and see if you get good results. If so, that would usually rule out hardware issues. Then you will have to deal with beam overload like the rest of us. Have the 12Mbps service- just ran speed test = 4.4 Mbps. Thatsabout average for me. Less than 1 Mbps is certainly not "reasonable" for any internet service, except dial up...maybe.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 416 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
It is most likely because they are a 150GB priority plan and Viasat wants many subs off those plans.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 797 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
His speeds shouldn't be that slow all the time, unless he is out of priority data.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 416 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
No, they shouldn't. But my speeds were even worse when I was only a couple of GB's into a cycle.
Photo of jim ikner

jim ikner

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
150gb/month. Right now I have used about 40gb and my billing resets in less than a week. My service was great until January a couple of weeks before the policy letter came out. Since then it has gotten steadily worse. Nothing changed on my end. My question is what would a reasonable person expect from his service provider? Obviously they count my speeds while a reasonable person is sleeping. But to me that is not a reasonable expectation.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 416 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
I think 1Mbps is acceptable.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 163 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Those were the speeds I had and I had a 15GB plan and never went over data. I also had 3 tech visits. Some people are just in poor locations.
Photo of jim ikner

jim ikner

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I would agree but when I first signed onto the Freedom plan I did get great speeds. Even this time last year my speeds were great. The only change came in January when Viasat updated their policy. The service has been crap since. I would change to another plan but why pay more for less when the promise is the same “up to” speed. So my question is to Viasat, is less than 1mbps a reasonable expectation? As a long time customer who pays on time I so no. Is 4mbps? I would love to get 4 mbps. How about an a package that is 150gb at a constant 6mbps. Better than the garbage they are offering now.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 292 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes
Not just freedom plans got the Nerf. All 150G plans got it. And Viasat seems to be changing the priority every few weeks trying to work out how to make everyone happy and not doing a good job of it.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 647 Posts
  • 401 Reply Likes
They don't want everyone happy. They want people off 150GB plans. That is the bottom line.