What I'd like to see with ViaSat-2's plans

• Idea
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Not Planned
Alright, so I've seen people talk about what they'd like to see in the new plans once ViaSat-2 goes online, so I thought I'd chime in what I'd like to see.

Naturally I would like to see significantly higher data caps, with a little bit over double the capacity of ViaSat-1 this shouldn't be unrealistic. I would like to see the highest tier plan, which is what I plan on getting assuming it is $150 like my current Unlimited Silver is, offer 500GB of data. 

Currently I can do everything I want with the speeds I get, but I would like to see unrestricted streaming or simply I hope the new plans allow me to stream in whatever quality I choose.  The site page for the new satellite says it is estimated to be able to give over 100mbps, that sounds great, so if they can actually deliver close to that that'd be awesome. 

That's really all I'd like to see in it, bigger data cap, which is to be expected, but I thought I'd put out a number I'd personally like to see and that I feel isn't horribly unrealistic, obviously nobody likes having their video quality lowered, so while 480p isn't terrible and I can live with it, naturally I'd like HD more. 
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 124 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3022 Posts
  • 1256 Reply Likes
Marika, I agree. Unlimited is great but, I hope that at the least, when VS2 comes online, we too get the video data extender that can be disabled if we choose. Unlimited becomes only restricted by maximum possible speed (12, 25, 30 Mbps options for different prices sort of thing.)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2181 Posts
  • 398 Reply Likes
Hi Marika,  Thank you for sharing what you would like to see when the new satellite is operational.  We have some very exciting things on the horizon. 
Photo of Ron D Stricklin

Ron D Stricklin

• 75 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Marika I'd like to see that at a $100 or lower price range. I would also like to see exede review the potential benifit for its customers of partnering with Netflix ope connect and any similar services from other major content streamers. I would also like to see exede creator alternate DNS services like norton connectsafe so customers can reap the benifits of such services while maintaining exede's built in accelerator technology.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3022 Posts
  • 1256 Reply Likes
Ron, I agree, Netflix would be a great partnership for Viasat.
Photo of Ron D Stricklin

Ron D Stricklin

• 75 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Pardon, that's "Netflix open connect"
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1013 Posts
  • 328 Reply Likes
Well we know 1tb is “not currently planned”, so here’s to hoping 500 GB is......
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 124 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
nope, they already marked this post as "not planned" so rip.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1013 Posts
  • 328 Reply Likes
Lol. If the data cap doesn’t rise above 150 GB (or the throttling after becomes imperceptible), then they’ve wasted money on a new satellite. Speed is nice and helps, but data usage caps are the most important aspect of an ISP (behind quality of service of course).

480p is not fun to watch. 720p would be a minimum standard IMHO.
Photo of Ron D Stricklin

Ron D Stricklin

• 75 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
They are marking everything unplanned because they have actually not released their plans. We'll learn more closer to launch. All we can expect is something better than the current high tier plans. Also competition is going to start accelerating more.
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 124 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Ah thank you for that input, I didn't know that so there is hope still lol.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3022 Posts
  • 1256 Reply Likes
All I can say is, keep your hope alive, it's worth it. I do know that for a fact. :)