What happens when I reach my data cap and haven't bought more data?

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
Will My internet turn off once I reach my data cap? Will my internet stay on but me be charged automatically extra fees?
Photo of Tammy Tedmon

Tammy Tedmon

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2470 Posts
  • 1461 Reply Likes
What plan are you on?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 793 Posts
  • 789 Reply Likes
No your internet will not turn off, nor will you be automatically billed for excess usage unless having a metered Business plan.

On residential plans, your speeds will be lower on exceeding your data usage threshold. In many cases, that speed may be considered unusable except for basic web browsing and email; however, that will largely depend on how heavily subscribed the beam you are assigned is.

Different plans have different data usage policies with regard to the specifics of what happens on exceeding your data usage threshold.
(Edited)
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2449 Posts
  • 481 Reply Likes
Tammy, here is a link that explains the Viasat Business Plan data usage.
(Edited)
Photo of Lawrence Crovo

Lawrence Crovo

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Tammy, from my own single experience of exceeding my data plan, you will probably loose your internet. May slow you down, is VIASAT's way of saying shut you off. I was unable to even send, or receive, email. For all practical purposes I completely lost everything, because what you end up with when they slow you down, is nothing. It is not enough to do anything with. I hope your experience is better than mine.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2597 Posts
  • 1609 Reply Likes
That's your experience and your experience alone.   
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 855 Posts
  • 429 Reply Likes
One thing I found is ad blockers and flash player blockers help a lot when you get throttled. Some e-mails like Outlook are over the top bombing you with ads. When I get slowed with Red Wireless it usually is right at 600 Kbps even at that speed a couple websites like ESPN load slow or incomplete. I suppose the score update boards use quite a bit of data.