What ever happened with the new Satelite

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I have been waiting to see the new plans and upgrade to the new bird, but the only optionsi get are actually worse then my 25mbs/150gb a month.    When they were going on and on about the new Bird, All I heard was how incredible it would be, over 100mbs Dl  , unlimited GB or very nnear to it. Now almost a year later and still no new plans?
Photo of Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• 61 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 319 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
It's in space. It's online. one of the antennas is stuck so its lost some throughput. I forget the exact percent now but this was intended for the non consumer market with maybe 10% for the consumer market. 
Photo of Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• 61 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I don't know about not intended for the commercial market, as I was being upsold on voasat2 way before launch
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Unlimited is available, may areas have it at 12 Mbps, spot beams on VS2 do get 100 Mbps but, yes, the antenna issue and several other factors did reduce what Viasat could offer on the new bird. The good news is, we are not that far from the first of the Viasat 3 satellites being launched, maybe 18 to 24 months, if that.

You can read more about VS3 here: https://www.viasat.com/news/going-global
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 248 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Bev?  Are you serious?  Who, residential, is on V2 and getting everything promised? It is friggin Christmas time and you can tell by the posts, there goes our response times, again. Is everyone on and getting V2 response times as promised just years-overoaded VA is still out of it? It has probably been a year since there has been any change to the plans in central VA and the ones offered truly suck. The company should be ashamed of the hype vs what has been delivered since. From my experience, Viasat is for those who's only other option is dial-up.
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 144 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
To be fair, it wasn't Viasat's fault that Viasat-2 failed to reach expectations it was the technical issue that nobody foresaw that caused the failure. I'm certain Viasat was just as hopeful for it as everyone else was, it being a flop hurt them a lot I'd imagine. So, as disappointing as it may be all we can do is wait to see what 2020 has to offer and just hope they take extra precaution so we don't see such issues on Viasat-3.   
(Edited)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 248 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
To be fair, Viasat hasn't said a damn thing to me, as a customer, about what happened nor the status of the issue and if the areas that have been horribly overloaded for years will have to wait another 2 to 3 yrs to maybe see any improvements.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1612 Posts
  • 957 Reply Likes
From my experience, Viasat is for those who's only other option is dial-up.
That's pretty much what it is.  Satellite internet is a niche service that is made for those who can't get ground based internet.
Photo of Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• 61 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I am in central VA as well, never heard a word about problems. I was promised much faster internet, unlimited gigs etc and then nothing. Not a word from them
(Edited)
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 144 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
I'll be frank, I find it kind of hard to believe that someone with Champion status has been so inactive on this forum as to have never heard **any** of the news. Do some searching there's plenty of threads on the topic for you to sift through. People who only occasionally browse the forum such as me have known about the issue for months now. To answer your question for you even though it should be very apparent by now: Yes, areas that are currently congested and weren't covered by VS-2 are out of luck until VS-3 or some other service becomes available to them.  I know it really sucks, but that's just how it is, I was really hoping it would improve things as well and was extremely disappointed by how it flopped so hard. 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3165 Reply Likes
Yea. Viasat has never said a lot about Viasat-2 failing to reach its potential..They did acknowledge an antenna issue, but downplayed how this issue would impact service. But they did receive an insurance payment of $180 million or so because of the antenna failure. Insurance companies don't pay unless damages can be proven. For Viasat to prove they lost that much potential revenue, well, there is your answer.
(Edited)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 248 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Marika, or is it 'Frank'? - I get all the messages I just don't say anything unless I want to or have something to say. Since you don't get it, yes, I have seen the *public* announcements, minimizing the impact. I AM A CUSTOMER - there has been no notification to me, a customer, of the situation and what it means. A letter, an email, something, to their existing customers. They hyped up this new bird like it was Christ's coming, then nothing. 
Photo of Marika

Marika

• 144 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
And you fail to understand that this forum that you are on right now is one for customers meaning the public announcements you see here are the same as what you'd get in an email, letter, telegraph or whatever form you would otherwise desire. I get it, you're disappointed, we all are. But, what you see here is all you're gonna get, you can complain all you want but like I said in my last message: that's just how it is. Even if Viasat decided to cough up every single last little detail about the antenna issue and whatever else went into this debacle it wouldn't change a single thing about where we're at now. So, while I am disappointed and frustrated at the failure, I've moved past it as I've realized there's nothing to be done except to wait.   
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2641 Posts
  • 1358 Reply Likes
Dinty Moore Beef Stew
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 248 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Marika - I have seen more announcements posted by customers than by Viasat employees. Some people still need to vent about it and I missed the announcement that you are in control of the venting. I read posts about people venting all the time and do not feel the need to tell them how they need to feel about it (whatever it is is, usually speeds or data size) or get over it. I may think it, but I just scroll on.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2382 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
Marika was put in charge of "venting" by Viasat 6 months ago. You need to keep up with this Forum Spinninghorse....
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2382 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
Marika was put in charge of "venting" by Viasat 6 months ago. You need to keep up with this Forum Spinninghorse....
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 248 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
oops!  My bad.  lol
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2641 Posts
  • 1358 Reply Likes
Viasat 6? I didn’t know we had time travelers on this forum.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 86 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Counting your chickens before they hatch.  

From what I see, Viasat recruited a lot more customers so the customer base would be in place to help pay for the new bird.  With the deployment issues now there is more demand than available bandwidth can handle so here we are.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3165 Reply Likes
Not necessarily more customers, but what they did do is implement "unlimited" plans offering more data. These new plans were in anticipation of Viasat-2 being able to share the burden approximately 6 month later. Unfortuantely, with the antenna issues, the full impact of what Viasat-2 could have offered will never be realized.

They downplayed the impact of the antenna issue, but again, $180 million or so says that impact was not negligible.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2641 Posts
  • 1358 Reply Likes
Tesla Man went on his lunch break.  We are still waiting for him to return so he can finish repairing Viasat 2.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I never said the customers get top speeds 24/7 no, of course not, no one does but, Unlimited plans are available in many areas at 12 Mbps and, the small spot beams do or did offer some 100 Mbps unlimited plans as well.

As for who gets what they were sold, I know several who do across both Satellites, myself included. Why, a good beam to be on is a major factor but, we read the contract and the other information Viasat provides, we all knew what to expect when we got the service. We know how to do basic troubleshooting and, we do it if we have a problem and, we know who to contact for a problem we can't solve with what we can do. We all have Easy Care so, if a service call is needed, we simply get it done ASAP.

Yes, the offered plans were much less that the proposed plans some of us saw at that event in Denver but, that was just that, pre launch proposed plans, it was never set in concrete, just an example of what the new bird is capable of in the spot beams, if it had not suffered the antenna problem.

Life happens, things break and malfunction, adjustments have to be made. As much as we would like it to be possible, there are things you can't fix when they break in this world. Viasat is in that boat with VS2 - let it go, Viasat 3 is close enough to launch now that soon VS2 will be old news anyway.