computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I didn't know if that would affect my internet connection Speed because I extended my coax cable. With an adapter for extra coax cable because it didn't reach modem where I wanted it. I could get less cable Ft if it would help internet connection Speed.
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
After I got 25 Mbps it seems extra coax cable I added ... I got slower
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3056 Posts
  • 1274 Reply Likes
What are your numbers. Resistance should be between 1 and 3 Ohms, 1-2 being ideal. Attenuation is fin up to around 6 db but, lower is better, like near 2 db. Don't want zeros on either but low is good. More important is your SNR, above 6 and the closer to 10 the better. At around 2 or lower, you loose service.
Photo of lsandersj

lsandersj

• 16 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Good to know - thx.  Looking for Viasat to provide min levels but can't find.  My attenuation hovers around 15db most of time but SR 8.5 and resist 1.5 ohms.  Only a two month old installation and wonder if there is a problem in the cable and would I get noticeably better performance if attenuation was a lot lower?
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2681 Posts
  • 1680 Reply Likes
It may be that high if you have a long coax run between your modem and dish.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2039 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
Just been looking at my modem specs and the the Cable Attenuation jumps back and forth from 0 to 7+ .  Never noticed that before. 

(Edited)
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Screenshot included.... I have an 50 ft coax cable extension for extra length for mondem if I would remove 50 ft coax cable would it speed up my internet connection or more reliable connection I could remove 50 ft of coax cable would that help
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Would getting rid of 50 ft coax cable extension help internet speed connection and overall better service
Photo of Mr.Anderson

Mr.Anderson

• 83 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
yes, and how long was the cable to begin with, and was it installed by exede or just a cable that already happened to be there.  Are all of the connections secure? and grounded... Just for interest what do your tria numbers look like

My installer saw a cable already there and was going to use that. I stopped him and politely asked if he would mind running a new line for me.  He was happy to, even if it meant crawling under the house :)
(Edited)
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I can get 50 ft less coax cable if that would help
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3072 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
That resistance is too high. Needs to be 3 or less. And you shouldn't randomly be adding your own cable. That could definitely impact your systems performance. It might not even be cable certified for use with Exede.
(Edited)
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
It is RG6 cable
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3072 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
Just because it is RG6 cable doesn't mean it is certified to work with Exede. Exede has very strict specs on what kind of cable can be used with it. To deviate from those specs can definitely cause system performance issues.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3056 Posts
  • 1274 Reply Likes
SNR as close to 10 as possible, some areas cannot get above 6 but, never below 5. at 2 or lower, you are looking at intermittent or no connectivity.

Resistance 3 or lower but, not zereo, mine is a bit high but, it works perfectly and, is accounted for by the setup.

Attenuation, according to my favorite technician, 20 or lower, but not zero.
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Do those numbers look better???
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3056 Posts
  • 1274 Reply Likes
There you go, looks great now. :)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3072 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
You can't be sticking random cables between the tria and modem or you will have issues :)
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 754 Posts
  • 379 Reply Likes
computer1949,

Pretty much what everyone else has said.  Adding the coax is probably what caused the resistance to go up, especially if it's not the approved, high frequency cable (the same is true with connectors, and barrel connectors).  Also, if your cable run, from the modem to the dish, is over 150ft (or even near it, really) you'll start to see decreased speed, higher resistance, etc.  
Photo of Jordan Bautista

Jordan Bautista

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I’m getting very slow connection. Like under 1 mbps up and down. Can anyone help me diagnose the problem?
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 688 Posts
  • 319 Reply Likes
Not related to really old thread.

Please reference the new conversation here: Speed Troubleshooting

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.