What color should the light be in the back of the modem?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
what should the flashing light in back of modem color be?
Photo of Sweet Angelwings

Sweet Angelwings

• 31 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2174 Posts
  • 1334 Reply Likes
Are you referring to the lights where the LAN cable connects?  If so, the lights indicate the connection and what the speed the ports are available to provide (not the actual service, just the port).  Green is higher speed, amber is lower speed.  They're both often on (if separate), depending on the device.  When blinking, it means data is being transferred.  
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 137 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you and yes I meant the cable coming in from my router to their unit, I had green one time and I shouldn't have changed the cable, and now I don't remember which cable I was using, I have a few, darn it! Trying for green again, hope I figure it out! Thanks
(Edited)
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 137 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
also what cable works best cat 5 cat 6 cat 7 or whatever?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2174 Posts
  • 1334 Reply Likes
You want a Cat5e or better cable, though Cat5e is plenty, so you don't need to seek out a Cat6 or even Cat7 cable if you don't already have one.  

It's likely that any Cat5 type cable that you've acquired within the last fifteen years, whether separately or one that came with a device, will be Cat5e, as regular Cat5 cables became pretty much obsolete in the early 2000s.
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 137 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Thank you, I have one hooked up now and the light is green once again!!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2174 Posts
  • 1334 Reply Likes
Glad to hear.  :)  
Photo of Himiko Toga

Himiko Toga

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Your user manual should tell you. Is it a wifi router? Viasat gateway? or a regular modem?

Gateway and router need to be solid blue
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 137 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I'm sorry, I was meaning their modem, VIASATS modem. I thought at one point it was green when my router is attached to their unit, it's now yellow/amber. I'll have to try another cable because I know I had it green at one point, I just have to learn to leave my darn cables alone!!!! Thank you
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 137 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Oh yeah and not the blue circle around their name, it's in the back where my cable comes in from the router!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3510 Posts
  • 1317 Reply Likes
The Gateway wireless modem/router will have a big circular light on the side and the lights mean different things depending on the color. A little confused with what  you mean by back of the modem? If that's the question being asked I'd defer to GabeU's reply above
Photo of Cindy

Cindy

• 137 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I was talking about my router coming into your modem, I had green at one point in the back lit up but now it's amber/yellow, try to find the cable that lit it green. Thank you
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 649 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
I don't think it really makes much difference.  I think any of the wired connection speeds will be higher than the Internet connection.