WFH mean WTF with Viasat

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Covid 19 response from Viasat is not acceptable.  Almost all companies are pitching in to help other Americans during this time of working from home.  If your infrastructure is so weak that you cannot help, just say so.  I'll just keep buying data boost wifi from Verizon for hotspot.  REALLY disappointed in you Viasat
Photo of Steve McKinney

Steve McKinney

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 47 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
What happened?

Photo of Steve McKinney

Steve McKinney

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I spoke to Customer Service on Sunday the 15th and asked if Viasat was going to step up and help customer who were capped on Data.  I'm working from home now, and two kids trying to do school work.  Customer Service said we will be releasing our statement on what we are doing for Covid on Monday.  So the Covid response is "we won't turn you off, or charge late fees.  Great!  Love it!  Now if I could actually do any work with these speeds, no.  I live in very rural area.  No option for Cable or Fiber.  Screw the late fees, I'd be happy to pay extra for some speed right now, but Viasat doesn't want more money because they don't have anything to sell.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 862 Posts
  • 432 Reply Likes
Another rare time where we have a customer with unrealistic expectations through no fault of Viasat. Satellite has a finite amount of capacity available and it is pretty much maxed out. There isn't any "extra" bandwidth to sell. As many have said look at it as a highway, the more cars you add (data usage) the slower everyone gets from point A to point B.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 796 Posts
  • 790 Reply Likes
Maybe Viasat should stop putting more new cars onto the highway - still selling on my beam. Maybe a pause is in order... they'll never convince many that there's a shortage if they continue selling to new customers. The optics aren't good there Viasat if actually unable to support existing subscribers even if you really aren't selling.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve McKinney

Steve McKinney

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Agreed.  Let's hope we get some Fiber out here in the country and watch these guys go out of business.  Viasat provides service to Airlines, Military, businesses, etc..  So since there is no one flying right now, we should have some bandwidth, no?  If we weren't in a national emergency this would just be me bitching, but internet is no longer just a nice to have, it's like electricity.  Whatever... Go Starlink! Go Fiber!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2993 Posts
  • 1608 Reply Likes
This is like getting mad at a doctor for not having a cure for AIDS.
Photo of Steve McKinney

Steve McKinney

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Are you kidding?  Comparing internet service to AIDS?  People were dying of AIDS and there is plenty of meds that keeps people from dying now.  I'm not whining, I'm saying EVERY company I know is trying to help people out right now.  How is Viasat stepping up to help?  Simple Question.  And Hell yes I'm bitching, if you are saying I'm using 2012 technology in 2020, who's fault is that?  Maybe my $300 a month I pay for this has been going into CEO pockets instead of updating the F'ing technology??  Your move Mr. Rice.
Photo of Steve McKinney

Steve McKinney

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Stop bringing on new Customers if they can't handle what they have now....now there's an idea
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2995 Posts
  • 1610 Reply Likes
He is upset that technology from 2012 isn’t capable of doing the same thing as technology from 2020.
Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 47 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I guess I'm not following...

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 796 Posts
  • 790 Reply Likes
He's upset that Viasat didn't anticipate this pandemic when it's satellites were launched and allow for a greater fixed capacity.
Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 47 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I gotcha... Isn't ViaSat following the FCC's suggestions and lifting caps; making more bandwidth available?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 796 Posts
  • 790 Reply Likes
The FCC's Keep Americans Connected initiative doesn't include lifting caps (Viasat is on board with that):

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-363033A1.pdf

Some land based providers are doing that voluntarily but they have the needed bandwidth to do that. Viasat doesn't.

Ironically, the OP even points out that he will simply keep buying data boost for his Verizon Wireless plan so wireless providers are not apparently lifting their caps either. 

Viasat could probably free up some added bandwidth (airlines) but probably not enough to make a difference - probably limited to Viasat-2 anyway.
(Edited)
Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 47 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Great info - Thank you 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 796 Posts
  • 790 Reply Likes
Just my guess as to what he's upset with - not like there's a lot of info to go on. Perhaps he can elaborate. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2478 Posts
  • 1467 Reply Likes
Connect America needs to = fixed broadband internet:)