Web based help from apple doesn't work with Exede

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem resolved. No need for further response at current time.

Alex,

Those of us using OSX lion or later can't get access to the web based help from Apple. If you google this problem it seems to be common to most satellite based ISP providers as well as some of the cellular based ISP providers. I have Verizon data on both G3 and LTE service and the problem is present in the G3.

I hope that the problem can somehow be resolved in the Exede Service. Presently my work around is to log onto the LTE ISP using the hot spot option on the iPhone 5. An alternate is to simply google the issue on my browser using the Exede ISP but that sometimes produces more answers than I care to investigate.

It would be so nice to be able to simply use the Apple help function. If the latency or something similar is the source of this issue, wouldn't it be a service for your MAC users if Exede could negotiate a successful solution with Apple. That conversation can only occur between Exede and Apple. If however the issue resides in your AcceleNet servers or the unique DNS application associated with Exede....

Please and Thank You!

By the way, we have come to really appreciate having high speed internet in the country. Thank you for your service.

Bobbin
Photo of Bobbin

Bobbin

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Bobbin, let me do a little research on this and see what I can find out out.
Photo of exede4me

exede4me

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have confirmed that the same issue exists on the Alpha test network.
Photo of kfrist3

kfrist3

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having the same problem with help plus one website. I wasted about three hours yesterday with Apple and the my ISP (Riverland Communications). The Windows 7 computer that I connect WIFI to an Apple router cannot get to the website either. If I go directly from the Win7 machine to the modem, I can get the web site.

This is extremely disappointing, and I hope it is fixed! I have been using the Exede system for about 7 weeks and became aware of the problem about 3 weeks ago. Other than this, I am happy with the service.
Photo of Bobbin

Bobbin

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Which site? What is your router?
Photo of Alex

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Our techs are still looking into this but since the same problem occurs on other satellite networks, we're thinking it's an Apple bug of some sort, perhaps related to satellite latency.
Photo of Bobbin

Bobbin

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
clearly the only technical discussion about latency can occur directly between Exede and Apple. None of our many efforts to obtain Apple assistance has the necessary factual information about the performance of of this ISP. Can't you initiate a request to Apple to permit additional latency as a test? I'll be glad to be one of your reporters on effectiveness. If it is an issue with the software known as AcceleNet or another factor associated with DNS servers, you are again the only facility equipped to have that discussion.

You are ignoring this issue by refusing to even open a trouble ticket. It's not going away! Can you really turn your back on Apple users? Think iPhone or iPad.

My experience with Exede is really good. As long as it is the ONLY ISP available to me, I'm here to stay.

Thanks for reading,

Bobbin
Photo of Alex

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Hi Bobbin,
Sorry I didn't clarify: a ticket has been opened and the Accelenet and Surfbeam teams are looking into it.
Photo of Bobbin

Bobbin

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Exede/Alex,

Recently I have used a work around involving using the standard Safari browser to visit the apple app info pages at http://www.apple.com/support/mac-apps/

It appears that this approach avoids the latency issue associated with the Apple help web browser with Exede and simultaneously provides a rendering of the help information that is not dominant on the display. I'll do some more checking on my next visit to an open wifi spot, but it looks very good as an easily accomplished work around. If the help documentation is accessible in this manner, you can publish this information and close the ticket.

This would mean that the machinations associated with the special Apple help web browser are exceeding :) the limits imposed by Exede!

Time to go fishing!

Bobbin
Photo of kfrist3

kfrist3

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I updated the OS 10 to 10.8.5 last night, 10-6-13. Once completed, the help connection problem and some web page errors disappeared. Apparently someone was listening.
Photo of Bobbin

Bobbin

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
kfrist3,

I had updated the OSX Mountain Lion to the 10.8.5 when it first came available without finding any relief. Please share your satellite information, "beam, earth station and data center" so that we can see if your solution is tied to your particular location. I'm on beam 328 or 329 in central virginia with earth station (gateway) located at Lovelock Nv and data center located at Salt Lake city Utah. I use the Exede 12 plan with service for about a year and currently the 10 GB package.

My Modem shows the Software Version UT_1.5.2.2.3 Hardware Version UT_7 P3_V1.

I just double checked the help browser and find that I can still drill into help until the "you are not connected to the internet" page comes up.

I'm very pleased to see your response and truly appreciate your time.

Best regards,

Bobbin
Photo of kfrist3

kfrist3

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I doubt that I can provide much of what you are asking since I don't know offhand where to look. I will get back to this later. Fred
Photo of kfrist3

kfrist3

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I discovered that the web page problem that I had has disappeared, but I still cannot access the Apple help. Help scans the topic on their site, but if you click a topic, you get the message that you are not connected to the internet. So it is somewhat better but not right. I will renew my conversation with Apple. Fred
Photo of Exede Zac

Exede Zac

• 183 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks for reporting back to us on this Fred. If you need any other assistance at all, please reach out to us at exedelistens@viasat.com, we will definitely be happy to assist you!
Photo of Bobbin

Bobbin

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
After my recent update to OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) which included the latest version of the Safari Browser (7.0) it appears this problem is relieved. Apple web help seems to function on the Exede ISP just as it does on other providers. I would like confirmation from other users, but I believe we can consider this issue resolved by the changes initiated by Apple, unless Exede has simultaneously made some unknown change.

I plan to test my other Apple computer (iMac running Lion) later and perhaps install the Mavericks version of OS X on it as a test.

Since this upgrade is free from Apple, but involves a download of 5.29 gB I must await the LNFZ for my test.

Pleased to note that the 5.29 gB download last night took only about 1.5 hour (HOORAH! Exede) but since the subsequent installation process took another hour, I've been less responsive today. I don't sleep walk well at all.

Whatever the cause is determined to be, It's great to have real internet service in the country!

Thank you for reading and responding.

Bobbin
Photo of Exede Zac

Exede Zac

• 183 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hey Bobbin! Thanks for reporting this issue back as resolved. That's great news! If you need anything else at all, please feel free to let us know, we will be more than glad to help out! Have a great rest of your weekend!
Photo of kfrist3

kfrist3

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It is not totally resolved. If you go to help and do a search on a topic, options appear, but if you click on an option, you get the error of not being connected to the internet. Help works unless you try to search! KFR
Photo of Bobbin

Bobbin

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I can't reproduce your search problem here. I just searched for the word "application" in help and got over sixty valid responses. It did take a while and the beach ball was spinning for quite a time. Indicative of the delays associated with multiple inquires associated with satellite link induced lag. If the inquiry was made in a time period when your spot beam is considered busy, the data management tools may not be seeing Apple help as an application with greater sensitivity to delay. (??)

I don't know, I just use it or go fishing. Out here in the country right now having any kind of internet access is just great. One suggestion. Even though it's not necessary to close unused applications, I've found that the Exede experience is enhanced by remembering to quit each application as I finish. Seems to eliminate some of the response delay. The only apps open on my machine full time are Finder and Mail. Just a thought.

Bobbin ;)
Photo of Bobbin

Bobbin

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Just upgraded the iMac to Mustangs and had immediate full functioning Apple Web based help on it as well. OS X 10.9 appears to be a solid answer for this problem.

Thank you Apple, and thank you Exede. It's great to live in the country and to also have internet is quite a bonus!

Best regards, Bobbin
Photo of Alex

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Great to hear, Bobbin, thanks for sharing that news. I passed it along to our tech guys as a head's up. It'd be interesting to hear from others if this helped their problem.
Photo of Bobbin

Bobbin

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Another wrinkle. It appears to me that the Mustangs fix works well except when one is using LNFZ. Not a problem for me as my use of LNFZ is mostly automated.

I can't begin to puzzle out why the same hardware configuration has different reactions to metered usage vs LNFZ. One implication might be that unmetered usage uses a different pathway for AcceleNet service or DNS and that somehow excludes the Apple cloud based help system?

If anyone else is sleepwalking and wants to try, if might be fun to confirm or deny my observation. Check your Mustangs OS X mac for proper function of Web based help functionality during operation in the LNFZ. Let us know your results and help us speculate on the reasons for your results.

Alex, thanks for your continuing support. We are enjoying an unusually nice fall season in the country.

Bobbin

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.