Weather outage at uplink center

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
They said it was a weather issue, not at my location, but at the other end (gateway?). 14 hours cut off due to weather? We are both old, in the boonies, and 1/2 hour from any hospital.This is a bit scary since our phone service (ooma) depends on internet access to work.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Cutoff On Last Day Of Billing Cycles?.
Photo of Mark S Thompson

Mark S Thompson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3520 Posts
  • 1321 Reply Likes
Hi Mark

This is something that can occasionally happen but it's usually not long. Uplink Center is located in I think about 7 or so locations in the USA. Like the one down the road from the office if we're in a massive blizzard in Denver (pretty rare despite how most people picture the area), the customers relying on that one could potentially see a temporary outage but these aren't very long and usually it takes pretty decent storms to cause one, the uplink satellite is quite more powerful than the receiver you have at your home
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 87 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
To expand on Homeskillet's question before this was moved, you don't have any cell service at all?  If you have any at all, you could have a cell phone for backup.  Even a phone that does not have a service plan should work for 911, if there's a signal.  Just have a regular cell phone charged up, no fees needed for 911.  Or, Tracfone has offers for a year of service including a new phone for $60 or so (depending on the sale, and either on Ebay listed directly from tracfone, or QVC or HSN).  Pay one fee, you have a year of active phone service, not for heavy talkers, but it's actual service you could use if needed.  There are some other options too, of course, some cheaper for basic service with few minutes.

I'm guessing you don't have a signal, it's just a suggestion.  I would not like relying on something that can go out with weather for my primary 911 needs....
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 354 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
Why was this thread removed? We are talking about an elderly couple's safety here. Just because a cell phone doesn't work at your house just moving up to 100 yards can go from a worthless signal to one than is plenty fine for calling out.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 323 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
That conversation is still there at:

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/cutoff-on-last-day-of-billing-cycles

This appears to be an attempt by Brad to create a new topic from the thread drift while providing an answer to a frequently asked question.  SO much for that. If this were better forum software that supported FAQs or sticky conversations wouldn't have to worry about it. This format yields a never ending dumpster fire. I miss the old forum.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1599 Posts
  • 933 Reply Likes
The old forum was great!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3520 Posts
  • 1321 Reply Likes
Forked my dude. When a different topic gets posted on something unrelated we create a new topic. Nothing shady put the pitchfork down.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 323 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
Shouldn't that be tin foil? But feisty... I like that.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1599 Posts
  • 933 Reply Likes
Weather shouldn't cause an outage that long but other things can. Due to the complexity of the service, satellite internet can be more prone to outages than hardwired internet.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 323 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
Needless to say it could also be due to weather induced outages - a twister could send a cow hurtling into the gateway dish ;)

But with EasyCare an installer can be dispatched for $95 for a savings of over $100. we can have an installer out to the Gateway in two weeks ;)
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1599 Posts
  • 933 Reply Likes
A savings of over $100 but two years of EasyCare and one service call and you pay more. For Easycare to be worth it you need to have what, at least one call a year? How many do that?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 323 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
Of those having a dish at the Gateway, I'm sure none ;)
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2240 Posts
  • 1367 Reply Likes
 a twister could send a cow hurtling into the gateway dish ;)
Maybe a Hurlstein.  :)