Service call complaint

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
We were sold to them by wild blue ..modem broke that we lease..they want 95.00 service call..no we're calling BBB and a lawyer..there taking money we didn't authorise as it is..that's fraud
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • pissed

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Have you attempted to contact them and explain yourself?? If you are in a 2 year contract they are entitled to charge you for 24 months. Whether it’s working or not. You are responsible to service the leased equipment.
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We never even knew exed bought it..let alone agreed to a 2 yr contract..and their taking funds from a account acting as tho they are wild blue..and refuseing to send out a tech without us paying another 95.00 on top of us upgradeing on Thursday..that constatutes fraud..it's leased equipment..that is broke..we already called a lawyer Friday after the upgrade failed to fix the issue
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
A lawyer will cost you far more then $95. Viasat has an ironclad contract. And I believe part of it states you agree to arbitration. Contact Viasat again and ask for them to help you. A new install has 30 days to have repairs done free of charge. Now if the problem is your home network and not the satellite equipment you will be charged.
Photo of tmaster

tmaster

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Remember some state laws have cooling off periods something like 10 days to cancel any contact with no fee. Viasat must honor state law and the fair credit act.
(Edited)
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply .you sound like the others that work there..full of excuses..no fixes..
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
So you're going to spend a thousand or more for a lawyer instead of $95 for a service call that will get your service working again. Makes a lot of sense.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
So are you saying that you NEVER signed a contract? With anyone?
(Edited)
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just said..we never even knew they bought it..no emails..no letters..no phone calls..let alone a authorization to take fund from bank account ..
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We signed 6 yes ago with wild Blu for 2 yrs..then it was a month by month
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
6 years ago Wildblue was owned by Viasat - Viasat acquired Wildblue in late 2009. Even had you signed on with Wildblue prior to the acquisition, most customer agreements have assignment of account clauses that don't require notification.   
(Edited)
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wife says it was right when wild Blu was started ..they replaced modem 6 yrs ago..my bad..we've already set a install with hughsnet
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It wasn't working when I left for work again today ..but worked 2 hrs yesterday..modems shot..they won't fix..so we are done
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
No skin of anyone's back here... we're just customers like you.

Viasat has always charged for the service call (payment for the third party installer) to replace faulty equipment unless you sign up for the EasyCare plan, there is no charge for the equipment itself. I think you'll find HughesNet does the same but good luck with them - you might want to visit their community before committing to them for 2 years - the grass may not be greener and paying the $95 might be the better option but it's your call:

https://community.hughesnet.com/

GabeU might provide you some insight in that regard - he's a HughesNet subscriber that can provide it.

(Edited)
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You might want to look at via SATs..I did..it's not lined in gold either..same to you ...we've had enough excuses about using the package ..not fixing..when in fact a tech to the house would have solved..and after 6 phone calls another fool says..ohhh your out of data..you need to upgrade your package..when we just did 2 days before and it worked 2 hrs out of 48..thanks..I'll try hughsnet at least there's a installer 4 blocks from me
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
As I said Charlie, good luck - I'd even suggest you look at other possible alternatives than satellite while you have the chance before another long term commit with HughesNet and be sure to read their agreement.

Your beef is with Viasat - not the other customers here - like most you seem to think this is a direct support forum - it's not. It's customer-to-customer self help - we cant help you with policy issues you may have with Viasat but you're free to complain to your heart's content here. If it makes you feel better to yell at the other customers standing in line - knock yourself out. I'm simply providing you with information you may find useful before shooting yourself in the foot again. Choose your best option.
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
I got 3 service calls comped once my contract was up. Did anyone other than me ever try to get a free service call? I told them if I don't get a free service call to cancel my service. They charged the card $95 then turned around and reimbursed the card the day after the tech came. They did this 3 times.
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I think if you Google satalite services for Lewisville Ohio..you will see 2..that's dish internet..that our choices..no wire supported net service here in the country..
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Why would I want to do that - I'm just providing you with info and suggestions Charlie, I know nothing about your personal circumstances nor you mine. Once again good luck with Hughesnet. But Al's suggestion is worth a shot also - call and tell them you want to cancel and maybe they'll switch you over to the customer retention team if you talk nice to them -  choose wisely this time.  
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3520 Posts
  • 1321 Reply Likes
Hi Charlie

I'm sorry the service isn't working and that you are looking into other options. We do offer EasyCare to waive the cost of the $95 service call. You can also remove it after 90 days and never be charged the service call. I think that works out to less than $20 spread over 3 months vs a single charge. 

Did they say why the service call was needed? Sometimes we can fix over the phone. 
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
$20 is still too much if the issue is good ole "congestion."
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3520 Posts
  • 1321 Reply Likes
A service call shouldn't be ordered in that case. A tech can't fix that. Something wrong with the signal or modem then a service call is definitely required.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
Al, you're no longer a Viasat customer. Stop your constant whining and move on to DSL Reports. Your input here is not constructive at all and doesn't help anyone.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
FMJ, piss off. My comments are constructive. I am trying to save people from VIasat.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
Ah, very constructive. I'm sure Verizon loves you. Move on moron.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
If you want to find a moron FMJ look in the mirror. If you don't work for Viasat or own their stock the more people you steer toward them the worse it will be for you as area congestion is the worst enemy for satellite service. Why are you sticking up for Viasat, other than your I.Q. is less than room temperature?
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
I enjoy hearing about the problems people are having as it provides therapy for me in dealing with my own. I feel that I am not alone.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
Al, I'm sticking up for Viasat because it has worked great for me for years. It was because I had a great installer who knew what he was doing and did it right the first time. Is that clear enough for you, moron?
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
The problem is that the system has not worked for many people and the lies from sales to services is deeply rooted.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
@ggg rt, you are correct. Many installers do a lousy job and also don't inform customers about the limitations of satellite internet.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
But like you are saying ..when it works it is a beautiful thing
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
I wouldn't say that. It works decent enough. Now, my buddy's 200 Mbps connection in town with Spectrum? That is a beautiful thing!
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Some people post remarkable connection speeds here and provide testimonials that make us crawlers weep⛺
If I had SIMPLY typed ( viasat consumer complaints ) into my internet search engine I would have been prepared for the roller coaster ride I took. If I had really /only read the fine print in the contract That I had signed I would have realized that I did not have a leg to stand on at that moment and would have not put so much energy and frustration in to my negative experience.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
@ggg rt, what issues have you had? I've been with WB/Exede/Viasat for nearly 12 years and the only serious problem I've ever experienced was a bad modem.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Thanks for asking, tooooooooo many to revisit starting from the salespersons lies to the honest techs admitting. .......That is just the way it is...sorry

Your only option is to continue the torture or pay to bail out. When you live in a location where there are no other services one often reflexes to allow all veins to be drained before giving up.
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
Before I was able to dump Viasat I used to go to the public library to use their internet work stations if I needed to use a website that Viasat would not function on. Since I first got dial up in 1995 I had not been inside a library because any information found in the library can be found somewhere on the web. Viasat sent me back in time over 20 years.
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
After researching all of the COMPLAINTS. ( can only assume the number who do not post somewhere ) posted everywhere of THIS TYPE of company it is logical to assume the ONLY reason why it could stay in business is because " TO BIG TO FAIL"

Couple that with the stiff termination fee and the revolving door of customers who just have to adapt to what they can get at any time and you have a good cash flow regardless of a large percentage of unsatisfied customers.

In addition to the military and government contracts their is a layer of protection. And did I mention a contract which is bullet proof that most do not actually read when pulling the trigger? lawyers, the BBB , and all the complaints and threats cannot save you!

WELCOME TO THE MACHINE. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

The bright side is I cannot use the term "Welcome to the hotel California " exactly.

I have learned in the end humor will get you through it all. Just smile and consider the experience a "TEACHABLE MOMENT " that can last what seems like forever. THE THINGS THAT NIGHTMARES ARE MADE OF.
LOL
(Edited)
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We went 42 he's thus time without service ..it's the modem..junk..we gave hughsnet coming..via sat wanted 95.00 for a service call. It's only 59.00 for hughsnet..bye crooj a sat
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1602 Posts
  • 934 Reply Likes
You are in the middle of nowhere Charlie. Not many people live where you do and in a very depressed area of Appalachia.

Best of luck to you!