We use internet moderately but exceed our 10G limits. How can we figure what's consumming our data?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
We use the internet moderately: no video streaming, moderate Facebook use, no obvious heavy consumers of data. Still, we exceed our 10G data limits and are throttled. How can we figure out what's consuming our data?
Photo of James Gallagher

James Gallagher

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Hi James. Here's a thread I started a while back that might be of help.
https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/here-are-some-tips-on-controlling-data-usage

Let me know if you have any questions.

Andy
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
James, if you would like a usage review, you can call 855-463-9333 and ask for one or, you can email your request along with your account information and contact details to exedelistens@viasat.com. They will be able to give you a better idea of how your data was used.

Common reasons for data use besides actively using connected devices are automatic updates and, if you have windows 10, how it shares updates. You don't need to be actively using the device for updates to download.
Photo of Lance Bagwill

Lance Bagwill

• 3 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
James, I had a Wildblue account for years.  It got to a point where I would exceed my 10GB every month.  I would call and ask for help and try to solve the problem.  It did no good the last month I had their service I used 10GB in two days a total joke as one of the days I was not even home to use the internet.  I finally went to another service provider and have used 1 GB in 20 days.  Just make sure you have a way to get your e-mail as they hold your e-mail account hostage.  Truely a sad way to try and keep business I will never use them again nor recomend them to anyone. Good luck
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Blaming the provider for YOUR usage is beyond belief James. Is it the power company's fault if I use a lot of electricity?
There are many methods of tracking usage on each and every device connected to the internet.

Andy
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
Exactly, blaming Exede/Viasat for what your devices use is about like me blaming the cow because I used all of the milk she gave that day. Maybe I shouldn't have given so much to the cats if I wanted milk for dinner.

99.9% of the time it's background processes such as automatic updates and background app refresh using the data and, those are user controlled settings.
Photo of Lance Bagwill

Lance Bagwill

• 3 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Bev you and Andy both work for Exceed.  Just like James I had the same problem.  I finally had to change services after being a loyal customer for years.  I have not had a problem with my new service.  I can see my usage and they explained how to better
protect my account.  Wildblue/Exceed was at a total loss to explain why I would exceed my data every month, the last month I used 10GB in two days according to Exceed/Wildblue.  Funny now I have used less than 1GB in 20 days, nothing changed in the way I use the internet.  The fact is my service is faster and better now than it ever was with Wildblue.  You and Andy are not objective in your acessments and you should not belittle a customer who has a true problem.  That attitude is exactly why I am no longer a customer
Photo of Tracy

Tracy

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Lance, you're right. Exede has cronies all over these forums 'championing' their service (which is garbage). Any other utility, be it water, cell phone, electricity, etc. can give the customer a breakdown of their usage. Exede has this data and holds it hostage so that we don't know where our usage is going. 

Exede, quit giving benefits to trolls like your 'champions' and invest some money in bandwidth.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
Tracy, we get no benefits, we pay for our service the same as any customer. Most of us are long time Viasat customers and have dealt with many of the problems that can happen.

Viasat can provide you a breakdown of your usage, all you have to do is send an email with your account and contact information to exedelistens@viasat.com and request it.

Once the new tools they are working on are ready to come online we won't even have to do that. They are in no way holding our usage information hostage.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3137 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
Hi Lance

First to address Andy and Bev, they are our forum champions but aren't hired by us to be on the forums. They are customers that we felt were super-helpful and gave them some flair. Employees such as myself will be marked as such.

Unfortunately 10GB doesn't stretch like it used to, it seems that the internet is largely been modified for DSL/Cable connections and some activities that are now considered "normal" like online streaming weren't nearly the common practice 4 or so years ago as they are now. Even websites have more multimedia content and "just surfing online" uses a lot more data now. We are addressing this with the launch of ViaSat 2 which will roll out some new plans early next year will allow our customers to be able to do a lot of these activities.

Personally I think 10GB is going to only be for those that just need internet to check email and peruse through the headlines as that go. 10GB is a bit on the small side for the typical internet user now, I think a 15-50GB plan is more suited for routine usage. Things like updates, sites with multimedia elements all will crush that 10GB limit.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
Exactly, Today is my rest/billing date. All I have done today is check email and read this and one other forum. 0.4 GB used - that's nearly half a GB in just a few hours of nothing much online and, that's normal usage. Going to be about 0.75 to 1 GB for the day. Average that out, that's 30 GB per month without updates or any downloads. Of course I will allow my anti virus and OS critical updates as well so, 40-50 GB per month is not unreasonable without streaming or program, app or, game downloads. Add one or two of those things and, going over 50GB is very easy to do.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
Returning to James' original question...

How can we figure out what's consuming our data?
James,

As noted by Bev, you may request a usage review from Viasat. This will provide a general, categorized breakdown of how your data is being consumed; however, most peoplew asking this question often want more detailed information regarding when it was consumed, what specific applications are consuming it, and what web sites are consuming the most data in order to adopt an effective data conservation strategy.

That would require knowing something about your setup (e.g. router brand/model, devices you use and their operating systems, browser(s) you use, etc.)

However, if you're like much of the subscriber base here, there's a good chance you use Windows 7, 8 or 10 - in which case, Glasswire will provide all of the detailed information you require. It must be installed on all Windows instances your use - more recently they do have an Android version avalable. See https://www.glasswire.com/

Combating excessive usages knowing exactly when/where/what//how it's bening consumed, not simply an overly general categorized breakdown.   

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3137 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
Hi James
If you email us at exedelistens@viasat.com we can take a look at the data usage.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2272 Posts
  • 1129 Reply Likes
Did you recently get married or divorced?  When I first got married, my water bill went from $23 a month to over $50 a month.  I simply blamed the wife because the water bill went up the same time she moved in.  It boggled my mind that she could be using so much extra water.

A few months later I noticed a wet spot in the front yard that never ever would get dry.  I had assumed for months that it was due to rain. Upon further inspection, I found that the line going into our house from the water meter was broken.  It probably broke when I ran over the lid to the water meter with my lawn mower.

So everything on the water company's side was fine, but my pipe on my side of the meter was busted.  I went to ACE hardware (ACE is the place for me), bought some plumbing stuff and fixed it myself.  Now the water bill is always less than $30 a month.  In fact, last month's bill was $28.

I really did enjoy blaming it on the wife, however it wasn't her fault.  It was a problem with the plumbing on my side of the meter.  I learned my lesson and I don't run over the cover to that meter anymore.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Great analogy Stephen. I'm going to use it and not even give you credit LOL

Andy
Photo of James Cobb

James Cobb

• 0 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
ok people look, I install and service Exede. Wildblue is not Exede so to those saying you had wildblue years ago its not the same service. If your system is using up your data usually its a sign something is wrong and you need a tech to come service. Sometimes its the cabling sometimes its the modem and most of the time its a xbox or tablet that has access to the network and is left on and is running updates. If you guys open facebook did you know that it keeps updating. If you have out play videos turned on on facebook it uses a lot more data than it should. streaming video is also a big one. You can go on Netflix and read for yourself that Netflix uses 3Gb of data in one hour to stream HD video UHD or 4k video uses 6Gb. Dont blame the service for something being wrong. If they didnt offer to send a tech I can understand that but you also have to realize that anyone or company can become a distrubutor of Exede. One of the distrubtors in my area is Novec. Thats a power company who sells Exede service. Now you need a service call you have to contact Novec if you bought from them. If they dont send a tech (Me) the info that you need a service call thats on them not Exede. If I get your service call request and fail to call you to schedule that is on me, again not Exede. Now this has happened to me multiple times, I get the service call and call to schedule but the customer never returns my calls or messages then calls Novec to complain that the service isnt working still a month later. Thats when its on the customer. Its not the service guys its that you arent getting proper service calls when you need it.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
I used to do the installs for our local power company as well and we would run into the exact same problems you mentioned....even the problem with customers simply refusing to answer the phone or return multiple messages. Then they would call the power company screaming bloody murder that we never came out and fixed the system.
I am GLAD those days are over. Erin, who runs my office, danced a jig when I told her they were no  longer selling Exede.

James, look back through the recent threads and you'll see one started by me which details ways to control data usage. Might want to print something up to leave your customers....they'll love you for it.

Andy