Video streaming trial

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Anyone receive an offer from Viasat to beta test a video streaming data saving feature? 
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 325 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
It's just them pushing the video resolution "optimization" on the older liberty accounts?
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 338 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
I don't think so

I am going to find out, if selected...
Photo of David Hurt

David Hurt

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I signed up for it.  Did not receive anything different in the way of equipment.  If these was any change in service I think it got a little worse.  More loading.  Viasat just said the trial is over.  If I wanted the "new, improved service" it was $20 more a month.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
Sounds like this is the new Viasat Flex Service that showed up in the revised customer agreement on September 30:

https://www.exede.com/viasat-flex/

which raises more questions than it answers ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3183 Posts
  • 2048 Reply Likes
I don't understand how this would work for many, like me, since I have no access to DSL, I have never had that option available to me because of my rural location.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
Yeah, I just noticed it on my monthly trip over to the legal docs to see what's changed out from under me. It's mentioned in the latest agreement and the disclaimers.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3183 Posts
  • 2048 Reply Likes
I'm a bit confused by this, if one would have to have a DSL connection to take advantage of this, why then would that person even want to have Viasat also. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
Yeah, I'm struggling with what real void is trying to be filled that I can't already fill if I had DSL availability. The DirecPC model???
(Edited)
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 95 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Direcpc was my first thought.  But kind of a sorta load balancing, routing different traffic to the different connections, my guess.  Which would of course take load off of Viasat's service, and make gaming possible (which obviously would be with only the dsl).  Some benefit perhaps, more if the viasat download would be faster (but also faster to the cap).

Direcpc did work pretty well, except the phone lines are very poor here, that always disconnected often.

Perhaps they would offer a lower priced package to go with it since they aren't providing the full service, sort of.... *cough*....
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
I am sure there will be a commercial touting how great it is. Seriously?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
It does sound like the old DirecPC service, but for people to pay for two forms of internet because each on their own can't satisfy a consumer, IDK what the market would be.
Photo of Corey Anderson

Corey Anderson

• 115 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
The Viasat flex is interesting. Wonder if you could cut your ping in half with this? That could make Satellite internet seem a bit faster just from that. The only fixed option for me is 768K DSL which is ATT Uverse. I almost signed up for DSL recently because they were advertising 1.5M DSL to my house which I was hoping to be bumped up to 3M when the tech was here. I could do wonders with a 3 meg connection and Viasat business but once they drove the path of the line I was close to 4 miles away from the connection point. So to me it wasn't worth it for 768K. But I do wonder if they will try to make connections that slow work together. I'm currently using US Cellular Fixed Wireless and Viasat with a load balancer. Its the best I can do in my situation. The signal is weak here so I have to be within a few feet of the booster for it to work and stability is probably 98%. Viasat is actually more stable until a heavy rain but since I have a load balancer within a minute everything fails over to the fixed wireless. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
In addition to numerous mentions in the customer agreement, a little more info here:

http://www.rsinc.com/what-is-viasat-flex.php

Interesting that Brad's reply that it's an ongoing trial  has gone awol - perhaps it caught him by surprise and he's seeking added info - it would appear to be out of the trial stage.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1625 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
Definitely like the old DirecPC. Use the DSL to cut down the latency.

They say "no extra cost" at this time, but that is subject to change.

Still, a person needs to pay for DSL and Viasat. Shelling out a lot of money to make your internet more effective since neither on their own can satisfy a consumer apparently.
(Edited)
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 95 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Perhaps Brad gave out too many details and was canned.  Circle the wagons and get out the pitchforks "fellas".

Yeah, no dsl here either, like many here.  Actually, I have little doubt Viasat works almost as well, or rather as poorly as DSL in town these days on its own (DSL cuts out and doesn't really stream in town, let alone at the ends of the lines).  Haven't seen the Viasat's service for a fair amount of time since they're double the price for half the data and half the advertised up to speed as the competition, competition came in with upgraded service, so people switched.

Someone getting the service here that has access to DSL would have an interesting bill.  $85 for up to 5 meg (and poor) service.  Plus Viasat's fees, about $110 for the cheapest plan, up to 12 meg, 35 GB data threshold, and 360p.  But, it says in VS2 areas only anyway.  A combination of the two with traffic management would ~probably work better than either on their own though, as it should....  I'd think trying to get 2 DSL lines would be better though (or DSL plus wireless, as DSL areas would probably be a bit more likely to have cell service than non-DSL areas).
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 284 Reply Likes
Nah, Brad just said it was an ongoing trial with no additional details - you had to be here ;)

Regardless it ain't happening where I'm at.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2815 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
I miss Deku. I wonder if Deku misses me.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1589 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Doubtful since she has never returned.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 351 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Who is Deku?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1589 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
DEku WAs A forMER champion on here who made eclectic posts. Like some other posters, she became disillusioned with Viasat and moved on.

Big into anime too!
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 325 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
This is Viasat getting around the wording for the gov rural access grants?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1620 Posts
  • 942 Reply Likes
Good point! Wasnt thinking that way but that sounds feasible.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 371 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Didn't I read somewhere they were denied grant money due to the high latency? It is interesting how the Viasat commercials bash DSL and now they are trying to team up with them. I wonder if some of the DSL companies will tell them to get lost.
(Edited)