Video data extender

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
On my Freedom plan it now says there is a Video Data Extender which "optimizes" my streaming at 480p. I realize this "benefit" is part of the unlimited plans, but when did it get applied to Freedom? And how can I disable it? Thanks.
Photo of Thomas

Thomas

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1422 Posts
  • 458 Reply Likes
Try this 

https://www.exede.com/video-data-extender/

Looks like it toggles on and off.
Photo of Thomas

Thomas

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1091 Posts
  • 521 Reply Likes
This is a brand new feature that is being implemented in waves, starting today!  The link Bradley posted will explain what's going on.
Photo of Whitey

Whitey

• 92 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
When I checked my plan from the dashboard it looks like my Freedom Plan is being optimized with the video,data extender but don't see anywhere to toggle it off or on.  Where do I look for such a switch?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3235 Posts
  • 2083 Reply Likes
It is being rolled out in the most congested beams first. If you don't see it on the Dashboard Home page then you are not included yet. Here in beam 314 it is  not in effect yet, I have checked that by texting  20715 with the message VIDEO
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 156 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Steve I see it listed on my 10 gig limited data plan when I go to check my current usage, but I cannot toggle it from the off position. Was told it was on by someone from Exede.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Run this speed test.  It will tell you what your video speed is.....if it's on you should see 1-1.5mbs.     https://fast.com/
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 156 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Thank you Jim16. Appears I have a 1.1-1.3 so should be on. Not sure why it does not show that on my Data Usage page.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser

• 5133 Posts
  • 3178 Reply Likes
You should be able to turn it off as long as you are not on an "unlimited" plan.
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 156 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I have no control over it what so ever. I cannot move the toggle either way. It shows OFF but appears to be ON.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 671 Posts
  • 251 Reply Likes
I talked to an installer I know and had him check my account on the eSVT tool that is still available to installers.  It showed the video data extender was enabled, even though Dashboard showed it off.  After he toggled the extender off and back on using the eSVT tool, I was able to use the toggle on Dashboard to control the toggle.
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 156 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I guess we are still some time away from a new eSVT tool?
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1087 Posts
  • 518 Reply Likes
Dave, 

Send us an email please!  If there's an issue with the Extender, we want as many examples as we can get! 
ExedeListens@viasat.com
Photo of Dave Eicher

Dave Eicher

• 156 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
No real complaint, just that it does not show it as ON in my Excede Dashboard and I cannot turn it on even though I have been told it is ON.