Viasat2 Question

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Acknowledged
Im considering getting 100mbps plan with a datacap of 150! so my question is if I get put behind others during congestion does that mean I will be slowed down like less that 1 mbps between 8-11pm Like I am on viasat1 now? Do you think it will be awhile before they start priortizing on viasat2? 
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 301 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 634 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
Logically.....there should be no reason to slow you down for quite a while.  Shouldn't be congested, not many subscribers.  BUT.....if I have learned anything from watching Viasat and how they have evolved their plans, it is that just when you think you have it figured out and that they CAN'T get much worse, they prove you wrong.  They seem to ALWAYS be able to make things worse!  Ifyou can get that plan, I would jump on it now and, if things get too bad, downgrade your plan or bail out and pay the early termination and run.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 301 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Yeah I think Im gonna get it because im tired of being slowed way down after going over 150 in the evening time! First month I had this Plan I didnt get slowed till after 188GB and ever since than right at 150GB I got slowed its been this way for months! so I  think Im gonna jump on it and pay $150 for 3 months and than I will prolly go to the 50mbps plan! I have no other option so I will not being bailing and leaving! Hughnet is my other option and viasat is better for sure!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Just be advised it was noted somebody ate up 900+ GB on this plan and I got the impression that was not acceptable, whether a person should not have got slowed down or not through deprioritization.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 301 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Ok well I went ahead and got the 50mbps plan! Because apparently since Im a viasat customer I cant get 100mbps for 3 months for $150 they wanted me to pay $200 even though I had to sign a new contract! (My plan was to get 100MBPS for 3 months for $150 and than possibly going to the 50mbps plan) So I went with 50mbps plan with 100 alloted GB! so hopefully before they start slowing me too less than 1 mbps after 100gb there will be a little cheaper plans with more GB's alloted hopefully on my beam I know like every 3 months or so it seems plans change in my area or thats how it was for awhile anyways!
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 632 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
Like I said....When you think you have it figured out, they always figure out a way to make things worse.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 301 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Right on Michael :(
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
For sure. They offered "unlimited" plans with 150GB priority last fall. They severally curtained priority data this year. I get why and why they had to do it. But don't choke a plan from 150GB to 35GB of priority. They did that on some of them.

Hindsight being 20/20, they should have offered a lower priority data to start out with. But then, how many Freedom plans were dropped for the lure of "unlimited"? That probably wouldn't have happened if people had to give up 150GB's for a 35GB plan :).
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 301 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
yeah all the unlimited plans was 150gb of data but when viasat2 came out the the unlimited plans in my area went to this ---> On the Unlimited Bronze 12, Silver 25, Gold 50, and Platinum 100 service plans, after 40, 60, 100, or 150 GB of data usage, respectively, we may prioritize your data behind other customers during network congestion. But yeah I left the freedom plan for unlimited silver for the same price as freedom which was $100
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 831 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes
Big mistake. You should have stayed with the Freedom Plan.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 301 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
No I shouldnt have after I went over 150gb with freedom I was slowed 24/7 till plan started over, With silver I was just slowed when beam was congested!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
And sub standard video resolution.

All in your prospective. If you can stay within 150GB/month and like video with year 2014 resolution and not year 2004 resolution, stay with Feeedom.
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 422 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Thanks for pointing that out. Seems like many people don’t know or understand that freedom basically cuts you off at 150G.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 422 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Thanks for pointing that out. Seems like many people don’t know or understand that freedom basically cuts you off at 150G.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I haven't went over my 150GB limit to see how bad it would get. I am watching 1080p video and using around 100GB/month. I try to manage my data to stay under the cap, as the plan was intended to do.
Photo of Marilyn Walker Taff

Marilyn Walker Taff

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If you go over the GB cap in a month is the slow down based on other customers in your area or just a flat slow down?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
If on a Viasat-2 "unlimited data" plan, you are subject to prioritization behind other customers who have not exceeded their data usage thresholds. So it's based on other customer utilization and whether they too have exceeded their threshold -  there is no hard throttling on those plans except for detected video streams. Explained in further detail at:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf  

However, if you append to be in an area where only the Liberty Plans are being offered, it would be as described at:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/data-allowance-policy.pdf

Speeds are both throttled and prioritized on Liberty plans but do have the advantage of a 3:00 - 6:00 AM free zone.   
(Edited)
Photo of Marilyn Walker Taff

Marilyn Walker Taff

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you  That helps
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3104 Posts
  • 1988 Reply Likes
Those of us on the Freedom plan will see very, very slow speeds after exceeding the 150GB level. I have never used more than 100GB either, so I don't know how slow it would get but from reading the legal description of the Freedom plan, it would be in neighborhood of 100 kbps or less.  It is kind of a moot point for many, as the Freedom plan is no longer available to anyone unless they already have it.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 831 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes
I have only come close to going over 150GB on Freedom once and that was in a month that had several big games released that I really wanted. Otherwise, since I don't stream much, I usually keep my usage around 100GB.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I like FMJ am a Freedom user. I don't use a lot either. About 100GB. But that is one person. 150GB isn't a lot for a family of 4. An "unlimited" plan of 35 or 45GB can be even more restrictive, depending on the beam and location.
Photo of James Redmond

James Redmond

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm on the 25Mpbs unlimited plan with 150G cap. I'm sure I'm still on Via1. That being said, after 8pm, the speeds drop to 2Mpbs when I'm not over my cap. They drop to .2Mpbs when I am. I have thought about switching to the 50Mbps plan on Via2, but am afraid the throttling will be just as bad, and cost more. I tried to "cut the cord" with Dish Network last month. Even at standard definition, we used over 300G. Was really hoping the 50Mpbs even when throttled would provide more than 2 to 3Mpbs, but I'm not sure it will so we're keeping on 25Mpbs for now because of the lower data caps on the new plans.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I think that is a wise decision. Satellite internet is NOT a replacement for cord cutting, at least if you watch video at the rate of a normal consumer. Now if you only watch 40 - 80 hours of TV a month, you could probably pull it off.