Viasat2 Installed Today

• Praise
  • Updated 1 year ago
Here is my first speed test in North Central Florida at around 4:00pm EST on the 50mbps plan https://prnt.sc/jy76yj Great speeds and this beam Im on dont cover as much area as viasat1 beam did it covered part of south Georgia! But the tech told me the beam Im on now just covers north central FL! Sooo Hopefully it will be awhile before Im slowed down in the evening!
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Probably true. And you are paying $150/month+ for this correct? (After initial discount of course)

I am not knocking the price one way or another. Just confirming. Thanks!
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Yes $150 for the plan itself but add in the modem fee and easycare its more! New customers get it for $100 for the first 3 months but Im not consider a new customer
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
But you have a new two year commitment.

So about $170/month for quality internet.
Photo of Dontrellz Page

Dontrellz Page

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hold on now you had Viasat before VS2 came out
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
yeah but I would be happy with the $100 25 mbps plan as well my speeds would be around 50 mbps right now most likely! Even now at 8:32 my download speed is 70.32 on 50mbps plan! But I have 3 people including me thats helping pay for this plan! As long as Im not slowed below 1 mbps when beam is congested I will be happy! 
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Dontrellz I had viasat1 before viasat2 came out
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
You should be happy for a good while. I don't see a lot of people paying $170/month for 100GB of priority data and 720p video.

Speaking of video, how is that working? Andy has indicated issues on 2 with the video resolution downgrader, but that might be on the big beams not the high density spot beams.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
when they priortize they put u behind everyone on the beam no matter what plan they have right? video works great I clicked on a 2 hour movie and clicked ahead 1 hour and it loaded in 5 seconds! Youtube videos load in a breeze and fb videos! Thats all I checked so far
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Well they claim deprioritization is better than a hard cap. But sometimes my priority speed is worse than a hard cap speed. Doesn't happen often, but it does occur.

Since you are on a high density spot beam, a luxury not afforded to many of us (for even those that can afford it, availability is limited) I expect you will ge pretty well satisfied, even going over your priority data level.

Have fun!
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
well it was better for me because I wasnt slowed 24/7 just during primetime and than afterwards speeds was good enough to do what I wanted! Yes I hope so I just wanna be able to watch videos anytime I wanna after going over priority I know I will be good for awhile for sure! since 4:00 my speed has been around 70 and as high as 74! Im gonna take advantage of these speeds while I can Cause I know eventually they will get slower but hopefully when that happens there will be more plans out with more priority data offered for around the same price
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
You are right the high density spot beams don't have as big a coverage area. Unfortunately, there isn't many of those beams, and even fewer than was projected originally due to the satellite issues.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
I hope a beam map is released soon so I can see exactly what all my beam covers! I wanna see how far south it goes
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
I f you  want to know bad enough, get a Zip code  map and start plugging in zip codes  at  https://www.exede.com/plan-results/internet-plans/.  You should be able to get some idea fairly quickly.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Not easy to do. Some zip codes require exact street addresses . I suspect these are zip codes on the fringe of a beam coverage area.

I also don't think a beam map will be forthcoming. The satellite launched over a year ago, still no public beam map. There is one, but it is being kept very tight under wraps.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Still, I think it would give you a general idea.  Start with a zip, if you need an address, back up a zip and try again. Even if all zips in the beam require the input of a street address, soon or later you would see a change.  Especially if you are looking for the edges of one of the smaller, high density beams.  Just depends on how badly you want to know and how much time you want to invest!

edit:  Actually, someone (much smarter than me) could probably write some kind of script to do just that. At least given a zip known to be served by the high density beams.

mferner: post your zip, maybe some one will see this and take on the challenge.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
It would give general ideas. More info than Viasat will share, since it is a mystery where the high density beams are now without detective work.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
I noticed with more speed I use way more data, With the 25mbps plan I had on a week day I would use about 5gb a day and on weekends 10gb a day! Well In 22 hours I have used 23GB on the 50mbps plan!
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
It would make sense that you're gonna burn through data faster. That's why the low, crappy priority data limits on the new plans make me wonder why they hyped Viasat 2 so much. It was supposed to be revolutionary and so far it has been the opposite.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes
Are you burning more data because of higher video resolution???
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
well from what I understand If too many ppl get on a beam they can adjust things on viasat2 where the speeds will not be throttled down as low as viasat1 congested beams! But so far 26 hrs on 50mbps plan and my speed has been consistent around 70mbps on the 50mbps plan
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
No veteran video resolution dont matter to me and Like on youtube I always put it on the lowest setting! nothing has changed of my activity its the same as it was on the silver 25 mbps plan! I just got the 50mbps plan because Im hoping if they ever do throttled when beam is congested that I will be slowed to maybe 10mbps and not less than 1
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3177 Reply Likes

But Silver plan deliver video in a lot lower resolution.  Don't assume you are controlling how low of resolution is being sent to you for video. 

Of course, the meter could be out of whack on Viasat-2 modems too.  Who knows!