VIASAt2 deprioritized already

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
So u mean to tell me that my beam is CONGESTED already? download speed is 0.29 as of 9:15PM and I have the 50mbps plan and I have used about 156GB of data! How can my beam be congested already? I havent even had viasat2 for a month My speed has been 68-72mbps around the clock until now, If you gonna deprioritize me do it to 10mbps or something not less than 1mbps this is BS! I cant believe my beam is congested! Im Hoping there is problems with the satellite or something and Hope its better tomorrow night! If not I have to deal with this till the 23rd
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3270 Posts
  • 1884 Reply Likes
Doubt it is congestion. But could there be throttling going on? Be interesting what happens tomorrow night for you.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
There is either throttling going on, Or an issue with the satellite and Im hoping its a issue u with the satellite and not throttling!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3240 Posts
  • 1862 Reply Likes
Has to be one or the other. Can't be congestion. Not enough on the beam!
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
MFerner. I would be VERY interested if you would post nightly updates on speeds you are experiencing. I'm going to another council meeting next month and this information would be VERY useful. Let me know what beam you are on asap so I can have someone I know look into whether or not congestion is an issue. 
I have an email from someone at Viasat pretty high up the food chain who ASSURED me that a VS2 customer's speeds wouldn't be affected at ALL unless their beam became congested. I was further assured in this same email that this wouldn't happen. 

Andy

PS: email me at clearchoicesat@yahoo.com with your MAC address of your modem...it will start 00:A0:BC
(Edited)
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Andy I just called Viasat and they said its showing that my satellite is slightly misaligned so they sending a tech here Friday! and they said my beam is not congested! But Up until 8pm tonight My speeds have been 68-72mbps around the clock My download speed is currently 0.29 but upload is  is 4.56 is dish was off my upload speed wouldnt be that high would it? But I will email ya in a few
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
https://prnt.sc/k4k4oa here is a screen shot of my current modem status
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Signal looks good, don't know why they would say it needs adjusting. And you are correct, if your dish was misaligned your upload would be in the dirt. Your cable resistance is a little high however.....I suspect that somewhere between the modem and dish is some copper clad coax. Now through the years I've learned some lessons dealing with this equipment....one of those things is that when the resistance is high, the modem might work just fine for a while...."for a while" being the key phrase. I've had customers whose speeds got worse and worse and it was only fixed when I bypassed their coax that their house was prewired with. The guy who installed your system just hasn't learned this lesson yet. We all gotta learn sometime. 

I'll pull up your modem in eSVT tomorrow and see what I see. 

Andy
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Ok there must have been problems with viasat2, at 6:30am my speed was 72 at 4pm it was 20mbps and since than it has been anywhere between less than 1mbps to 40mbps and it kept going up it is now https://prnt.sc/k4z8t4 this as of 9:20EST so It looks like they have worked the kinks out of the problem!
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Keep me updated.

Andy
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Yes sir I emailed u back! will keep u updated daily 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3264 Posts
  • 1875 Reply Likes
How are the speeds tonight?
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Vet speeds have been anywhere from less than 1 mbps to 72 mbps! Now its 40 mbps! was 72 at 6:30 am and 20 mbps at 4 pm and didnt start really getting better till after 8pm so I think they working the kink out! about 5:30 pm for awhile it was less then 1mbps
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3264 Posts
  • 1875 Reply Likes
Those are some wild fluctuations in speeds! Some consistency would be good!
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Yeah I know and Now its 50mbps as long as its around 10mbps or higher Im happy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3264 Posts
  • 1875 Reply Likes
Yea. A constant 20 would be great.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 253 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
What is good resistance?
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Nathan: Anything below a 3.0 is acceptable, I like to see it under 2.0. 

At my house "good resistance" is defined as the action my Wife and daughters put up when Daddy wants to watch a movie about WWII. 

Andy
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Nathan: Anything below a 3.0 is acceptable, I like to see it under 2.0. 

At my house "good resistance" is defined as the action my Wife and daughters put up when Daddy wants to watch a movie about WWII. 

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3264 Posts
  • 1875 Reply Likes

Darkest Hour.  Superior to Dunkirk.  Dunkirk is eye candy for the masses.  Darkest Hour is watching Churchill reincarnated for 2 hours!

But one of THE best war movies is Downfall.  If you haven't seen it,  I HIGHLY recommend.  That is Hitler reincarnated for 2 hours, giving a fascinating view of his last hours and the control he had over his followers, even at the end. 

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3047 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
It's on my list! I do like a good biopic 
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
well cable hasnt been ran since I had dishnet installed when I went to viasat1 they just used the same cable that was ran for dishnet and they did the same when I went viasat2 a few weeks ago! so Im pretty sure I have been throttled! If speed is fast when I wake up at 6:30 in the morning and slow tomorrow night than I will know there is nothing wrong with anything except viasat slowing me! I will keep ya updated
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
do u think its possible (not sure whats it called) I guess a splitter anyway they have one screwed to the house and a cable going to the dish is plugged in it and than the other end the cable running to my room is plugged in it! Could that be bad and causing issues?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3691 Posts
  • 3705 Reply Likes
That should be a grounding block - there should also be a ground wire from the dish going into it and a ground wire to your electrical ground coming from the grounding block. Viasat has some strict grounding requirements. The grounding block should also be rated at 3 Ghz.

Those grounding blocks do fail over time due to exposure to the elements among other things. Mine did yielding a high resistance - I simply replaced it on my own using a Viasat approved grounding block, cleaned the cable ends, and resistance immediately dropped back to 0.5 Ohm:

I charged myself $95 for the onsite visit ;)

Surprised Viasat doesn't require replacing the cable when moving to Viasat-2 - after all they're treating it as a new install with a new 2-year commitment - if you're committing then they should commit also IMHO. 
(Edited)
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 336 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
I sealed mine with insulating tape, self annealing tape and or coax-seal.  I don't rely on those f connectors to be waterproof.  It might also be a good idea to put a little dielectric grease on the connector threads at assembly time.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
as of 6:40 this morning my speed is 71.38 mbps so its not a dish problem! Will check tonight and see how it is!
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
https://prnt.sc/k5dww3 All is back to normal, Guess they was having issues with viasat2 or at least my beam!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3048 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
Glad it's back up Mferner. Let us know if it drops again
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Me too Brad, and I will for sure let yall know if it drops again, Still got a tech coming tomorrow The Woman on the Phone said the dish was slightly Off! Even though my RX signal is around 7.4 My download speed is around 70mbps! Im gonna have them change the grounding block thats on our house!