Viasat Vs. Hughesnet: My Experience

• Praise
  • Updated 3 months ago
So I just took the leap and signed up for Viasat after 2 years with Hughesnet. The last thing I wanted to do was sign another 2-year satellite internet contract but I still can't get other service and I tested out a neighbor's Viasat service and was impressed. Long story short, I'm happy with my new service so far.

Hughesnet was horrible. They lied to me about throttled speeds on the Gen5 sales call. Told me it would be up to 3 Mbps. Wrong. It never exceeded 1.4 Mbps and browsing during peak congestion (5pm - 12am) was like dialup or worse due to the ping and jitter lagging (whether throttled or full speed). I was throttled during the day, when I do most of my work from home and there is no congestion. Customer service refused to acknowledge that degradation of service was due to congestion and always required ridiculous procedures of testing speeds on a 3rd party platform and connected via ethernet. If you were throttled, forget getting help with your service's performance. Blaming my equipment when hundreds of customers complain about the exact same issues. Besides, downloading files was never the issue. It was website load times, constant delays with net handshakes, etc. 

Rant over. Viasat is consistently delivering more than the bandwidth allocated by my plan (Bronze is supposed to be 12Mbps, but usually tests around 17Mbps). Even during peak usage hours, it is delivering 10+Mbps. Streaming works better (although initial picture quality is lower than HN was but it soon clears up into good watchable quality). Websites load faster. Everything works like it seems it should and so far, the wifi router hasn't had any weird issues like the HN one did (random resets, loss of connection, DNS errors, web acceleration errors).

I'm paying $15/mo more than I was with Hughesnet but it is worth having usable internet all the time. Thanks Viasat. And to those who have complaints about Viasat-2 service: If your internet is working like mine, you don't know how good you have it until you've spent 2 years with Hughesnet! @GabeU and any other Hughesnet ppl on this forum, try out your competition and maybe you will stop evangelizing an inferior service and belittling upset HN customers over on that forum. Your awesome speed test results with HN are not the norm and I genuinely wonder if as evangelists, your traffic is prioritized like mine seemed to be anytime I complained enough.
Photo of Ian

Ian

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2357 Posts
  • 457 Reply Likes
Hello Ian,  It is refreshing and great to get a positive review of how Viasat-2 service is working for our customers.  Thank you so much for sharing your experience!  Diana
Photo of Mark Davis

Mark Davis

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ian i have the same plan you have and it has been great i have been on it for about 1 month now i was with HN also they was no good i have been a Exede VIASAT Customer since 2008 i think and i have like this services all the time and since i got on VIASAT 2 now it is even better.
Photo of Dontrellz Page

Dontrellz Page

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hello Diana
I wish we could get on the new satellite Viasat 2 in Mississippi all we knew for is poor service
Photo of Regina

Regina

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When will the beam open in NC again?
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
We are currently switching over to Viasat to be installed in February.  Our final straw with Hughes.net was this weekend when I tried to use our service to download photos and had no time left. We were only 8 days into the month! We are old seniors and don't use the data!! I called them to see what the issue was and we had a hacker on line.  Changed passwords, kicked them off and they were back on in less than 10 minutes!!  Monday morning, Hughes.net failed to document any of this, denied it happened, almost called me a liar on the phone said Gen 5 couldnt be hacked. Time to move on real quick.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
A hacker online? Okay then.

Please report what you think of Viasat once you get it installed.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
It's very difficult to hack your system through the net because of HughesNet's use of shared IPs.  Hackers would have to be specifically targeting you, and it would take time to do so, which makes it very unlikely that this is happening. 

It is possible, though, that you've been hacked via your WiFi.  If that's the case, it's someone very close to you.  They would have to be within about 150 feet of your modem, at the very most, and most likely closer than that.  Any further than that and it becomes impossible, unless you are using a 3rd party router with more WiFi range.  If this is what's happening, it's also possible that they've installed some type of software on your system that allows them to know what keystrokes you have input, or to even be able to see your passwords through your networked devices.  

It's also possible that you've downloaded some type of malware, rather than being hacked.  Malware can cause high data usage.  This is more likely than having been hacked.

With that said, the majority of the time data is being used it's actually being used by one or more connected devices, and not from hacking or malware.   

Make sure to run your Antivirus scan(s).  Also, if you don't already have it, Malwarebytes is a very good, and often recommended, scanner for Malware.  It's also free.  It's important to do this, as if what is causing the data usage isn't discovered and remedied, it's unlikely that it will stop with your new ISP.   
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
That's correct. Sounds like a virius/spyware/malware. If not eliminated off the system, it will be there on Viasat too. And this is your responsibility, not your internet provider.
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I know this sounds outrageous but we have had issues for months, had Geek Squad clean system, phones ,etc to rid our selves. Replaced phones 3 times started up with new email accounts and phone numbers, completely controlled. Run ms virus package plus Webroot. One system is at Best Buy now and geek squad says system totally checks out except for network connection issues. This weekend I had priveledge of being on his ghesnet with hacker! Have name they were logged in as changed passwords and kicked them off they were back on under another company name within 10 minutes
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Ps I would welcome any real help in resolving this I’m half crazy now.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
To me, that suggests even more that you've got something downloaded to one, or more, of your devices, or you have someone within your vicinity hacking you.

HughesNet's IP addresses change often, sometimes more than once each day, and even if someone did happen to get into your system without anything being downloaded to your device(s) and allowing them to home in quickly, the second the IP address changed they would be gone, and then they would have to find their way back in.  Unless there is some specific reason you're being targeted, it's highly unlikely that anyone would be wasting all of their time trying to hack you, then try to hack you again, over and over and over, as it would take a considerable amount of time to do so.  Each time, it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack that's among dozens of other haystacks.  

What is it this person is doing?  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
BTW, have you gone onto HughesNet's support community to ask for help?  I'm on there every day, and I've not seen any posts resembling this.  

If not, I would suggest doing so.  A corporate based rep will be able to help if they're needed.  
(Edited)
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
You don’t have all the information here. There have been software programs remotely installed on computers running programs for monetary gain. Police have been involved. It’s a massive mess. Like I say if someone wants to roll up their shirtsleeves and try to resolve this I would welcome the help so much. But for now I am considering replacing 2 brand new computers to link to new internet. I have considered all you are saying already and feel powerless. I do have the iPhone XR now and think phone is safe. Started with android
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
It does sound crazy. Almost sounds like identity theft.

Good luck!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
Oh, wow.  It sounds like you REALLY got nailed.  Sorry to hear that.  I hope someone has some ideas for you, but I still recommend what I did.  Like here, there are a couple of very tech knowledgeable people on HughesNet's community, and I'm referring to customers, not the reps, though they're always available when needed, and they have direct access to the engineers.  

Regarding your computers, I wouldn't replace them.   I would just replace the hard drives, as if there is a nefarious program on your system, that's where it will reside.  If they're Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 computers and you don't have recovery media on DVDs, you can download new copies from Microsoft and install it.  If they came with Windows 10, it's even easier as they will automatically activate due to Microsoft's system already having your digital license saved.   You can get new drives fairly cheap, and even SSDs are becoming much more affordable per GB.  

Then, of course, never connect or use anything with them again that could have had things downloaded to them, like flash drives or RW media.  And download all programs fresh, of course.  

I have Webroot, too.  It's a great AV.  Plus, it's data usage friendly.  :) 

Again, I hope someone can help you.  I hate that you have had to deal with all that.  :(   

Edit:  I meant recovery media on DVDs that came with the system, not that you created afterwards.  The latter could include the problem.  
(Edited)
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I’m done with hughesnet mainly for the treatment we were given over the past year. Time to move on. If you can’t help at least get out of the way. Would you agree with that? And just who was on with me over the weekend and why didn’t the Hughesnet rep on the phone document it. She gave me the information and said it was being elevated!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
Well, it's your prerogative, but I can tell you two things.. 

The first is that HughesNet's phone service ranges from adequate at best to totally useless at worst.  This is why I recommended their Support Community.  It's the best way to get help.  There are both knowledgeable customers and corporate reps who have direct access to the engineers.  

And please understand that I'm not trying to be a jerk, nor sound like one, but the second one is that HughesNet isn't responsible for this type of issue, nor figuring it out, though they will attempt to do so when you ask on their Support Community.

Being that I can't help you, I'll get out of the way.  Good luck to you.    
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Viasat front line support is going to be no better, especially when the problem is not on their end but on yours.

Again, best of luck, but I don't see how your ISP is responsible at all.
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I didn't mean you Gabe I meant Hughes.net sorry!!!  I did look in their support community and their was one instance of someone being hacked who got treated about like we have.  Right now I'm looking for all options for a clean startup with the Geek Squad helping. Any other help and advice will be taken as well outside of dismissal.  When this has been coming back for a year and the only common denominator is Gen5.... If I'm going to have a clean startup I have to start there.  Would you agree on that point?  My issues with Hughes.net started when noboby would talk with me until I purchased a $200 service plan and that has been worthless. 

In fact, in spite of everything, I have been a Hughes.net customer for over 10 years.  I would say I have been pretty loyal. Wouldn't you?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2660 Posts
  • 1386 Reply Likes
I’d never trust Geek Squad to even turn on my computer.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
Yes, I would say you have been loyal. 

Regarding the HughesNet thread, if you're referring to the one titled "Hacked Router", I was a part of that thread and continued to follow it.  While it's clear something happened with the person's system, what the person assumed happened didn't, and couldn't, yet they were dead set on what they assumed being the only possibility rather than any of the other possibilities listed.  

I don't think anyone here is dismissing your issue, only the assumed cause.  
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
You know tonite I was on their site checking to see if I needed any more tokens and I noticed a system log that was full of entries from a Samsung TV. We don’t own that TV. I changed the router names and passwords and that TV had a difficult time for a while. I decided to call Hughesnet just to tell them what I had found. The tech was ugly to the point of being mean. Telling me that no one had any reason to hack me what would they gain? He doesn’t have any idea what this old lady has in the bank and shouldn’t assume?? He refused to believe that the TV wasn’t mine. I told him that we had never hooked any television to our WiFi he called me a liar. I hung up and we double checked. No tv in this house has ever had the router or password entered into it. So where is it coming from?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
I have no clue.  I can tell you, though, that if you're seeing something like that it's likely that someone hacked into your WiFi. 

Did you see this system log in the Connected Device Info or in the Wifi settings section?  If one of those, did it say LAN or WiFi for the connection?

Like I said above, though, their phone help ranges from adequate to totally useless.  It sounds like you got the latter, that time.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Viasat support is going to be about the same for this kind of issue.

What you describe sounds like a device is/was connected in your home. Did it actually say "Samsung TV"?
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yes it did.
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Stephen rice. Do you have recommendations for someone else besides the Geek Squad? I have been looking.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
Can you copy and paste exactly what the line said? 

BTW, in case you didn't see my post below, which I've subsequently deleted, and which I tried to post before someone replied to your post and locked it so that you couldn't edit or delete it, NEVER post your DSS.  That's your account number.  

Maybe a rep will see this and delete you post for you.  
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 796 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
Elizabeth, just look at local computer repair shops in your area. Most will be a lot more reliable than the Geek Squad and also cheaper.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
That's what I was thinking, though I didn't know that it would be cheaper.  I've never taken anything to Geek Squad, so I'm not aware of their prices.  
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks.
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I know but no device in our home was connected. We checked everything. And I sat here and changed router names and passwords. How could it be? I couldn’t even print.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
It's possible that a server is trying to remotely access your system.  Sometimes people will disguise things like that by making them look like something commonly seen and safe.  If someone has gained access to your system through malware or some other type of software that's well embedded it could be spoofed to look like that.  I'm not familiar with those logs, though someone on the HughesNet Community may be.  Or, it could be something else.  I'm not really sure.  

I definitely would look into what fmj recommended, especially before you start with ViaSat just to make sure your PCs are clean.  Or, like the option I gave, install new hard drives and reinstall software from sources you know to be safe.  
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I am still considering buying new PCs. I have a dell with Windows 10 just had hard drive replaced. Husbands computer is at Best Buy being wiped now. It will be clean when we get it. It’s mine I’m concerned about.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
Well, if your computer's older maybe it's a good idea, anyway.  I just wish it didn't have to cost so much to know that you're safe.  :(  
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Me too but I got to be rid of this. I’ll back up photos let the rest go. Nothing is with what we have been through.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
I don't blame you.  
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Sorry again Gabe I saw where you asked for more information and I can tell you I did download the whole log last night.  I will send a page to you. 
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Viasat is installing Monday!! So I have to get moving to clean something to hook up. 
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Determine if WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) can be disabled on that router.
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yes I unchecked box.
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
??checked or not. System log now
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Looks like I decreased system security
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I’m putting it back until I hear from someone
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
If looking for HughesNet support for their router you'd probably do better over at:

https://community.hughesnet.com/

Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Ok thank you. The guy was yelling at me that it was my WiFi. It’s his WiFi. Gen 5 is a total package!! I don’t have a separate one I hook up to theirs. You want to throttle some people and say I’m someone’s wife, mother, and grandmother!! Tone this down.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
You'll do better over there and you can also relay the rude treatment received over the phone where somebody (a moderator/employee over there) may look into it.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
I would disable WPS.  WPS is known for its security issues.  It's often still included as so many people don't know how to set up a WiFi network and they find the WPS setup easy.  Unfortunately, easy comes with a cost.  So, again, it's best to disable it by unchecking "Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)" in the Wireless settings of Advanced Setup.  
(Edited)
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks to all we have disconnected Hughesnet completely and are getting equipment serviced before Monday’s install.
Photo of deb dour

deb dour

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
that's great, I have had horrible service with Viasat...I am telling everyone not to use them.  It starts out ok, but it will get bad...just wait.  It is a warning.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
We have achieved parity.
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Question do I need a router with Viasat or is it built in?
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
All plans are currently being marketed as having built-in WiFi - therefore built-in router.

Many long time subscribers however have opted to extend it with their own third party router since the Viasat modem/router only offers basic features.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
Elizabeth,

Sorry the issue couldn't be resolved, but I'm glad that you have ViaSat as an alternative.  Another HughesNet user just switched and, thus far, appears to be very pleased.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
I don't belittle customers.  I refute nonsense.  Big difference.  I do, however, react to rants, raves and false accusations. 

If a customer needs help, or asks for help, I give it to the best of my ability, and reps pick up when and where I can't or don't have that ability.     

I have no reason to try the competition when my service works just fine for me.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
It's the same old story.  A person has a bad experience with a provider and assumes everyone has a bad experience.  Most people have good service with both isp's.
Photo of Regina

Regina

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
HN told me they could not get a line of site in VA. A supervisor came out said same thing! Guess what my neighbor had them come out, and right where I told them was a clear line of site, they installed his. When the supervisor realized it was me he turned down. Shrugged his shoulders said oh well and walked away. Terrible customer service. Never again.
Photo of David Keith

David Keith

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I had HughesNet for a 2 year contract. I had trouble from the first day.
I have been a tech for a long time. I started installing TV antennas and then we got the huge dish for Satellite TV. Now? They are very small.
Hopefully all internet will be good as fiber optics expands.

HughesNet is not what they advertise. Sure you get a fast download. You get it for 12 days and then it slows to a crawl.
Then, to get streaming, I had to wait until the next month started and 12 days of high speed streaming again.

I could not ever get tech service to call back when my service died. I finally found the installer and he came and got it going, They told him that it was my equipment.

He got aggressive with them and told them that he installed this system and told them that he was their serviceman and I know you have a problem on your end!
They finally did what the serviceman told them and he got it going.

If you can’t believe your own techs, then someone needs a little training in human relations.

I can give a lot more facts about them but if you want a bad experience and you stream all the time, go get HughesNet.
Don’t believe me? Go get HughesNet and see for yourself.
I don’t really care for you that say their service is good,
It is if you don’t use it but once or twice a week,
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
HughesNet is not what they advertise. Sure you get a fast download. You get it for 12 days and then it slows to a crawl. Then, to get streaming, I had to wait until the next month started and 12 days of high speed streaming again. 
That's YOUR experience.  My off peak speeds average in the high 40s and my peak speeds average in the high 20s to mid 30s.  I can stream without issue.  My speed on the last day of the month is the same as on the first day of the month.  That's MY experience.  

Just like is seen on these boards, the majority of the posts you read are not good because people that are satisfied with a product or service don't tend to go out of their way to say so, whereas those unhappy with a product or service often do.  And I wouldn't expect anything different on a support community.  

Edit:  I should add that no ISP is perfect.  And I firmly believe that both my own and ViaSat strive to provide the best service possible.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
"I had to wait until the next month started and 12 days of high speed streaming again."

Again, another person who uses all of his priority data up and then complains. Doesn't matter if it's Hughes, Viasat, Verizon,....
(Edited)
Photo of David Keith

David Keith

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
You don’t tell the full truth and you lie and deceive in your answers. I have made statements about HughesNet abd you answer with deception. Priority only means that you don’t get any more streaming.
Don’t lie and deceive. Viasat may not be any better. I just know that Hughes bet is good for only 12-14 days no matter what you say. I uploaded a photo and it shows the data drops to 0 after 13 days.

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Maybe you should have taken advantage of that 38.4 GB of Bonus Zone data you had left to preserve some of that 50 GB anytime data - probably could have stretched it to 21 days at the rate you were burning it.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
I'm confused.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
David Keith,

Lies and deception?  You mean like claiming that HughesNet throttles people after thirteen days while inadvertently revealing in your next post that the reason you were being throttled, at least in that picture, which is from nearly a year ago, is because you burned through all of your Anytime Data?  Like that kind of deception?  HughesNet didn't burn through all of your Anytime Data in thirteen days.  YOU did.  They aren't responsible for how you use your data, nor how quickly you exhaust it.  

One thing people will never be able to accuse me of, with any truth, is telling lies and being deceptive.  I don't do so, and never have.  I give people my experience.  And any answer that I give that is of the definitive type is something that can be answered definitively, not something that is unique to the customer, like speed or how long data will last.  As I state very often, a customer's experience is unique to them.

You accuse me of lies and deception.  Give examples to support your allegations.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
I'm confused.
So am I, I could swear Macintosh has a screen capture capability and it's no longer a requirement to take a selfie of your monitor. Maybe not and  Apple isn't as advanced as we're led to believe... 

I really don't know, the last time I considered using an Apple product was when I installed a TV antenna on my roof as a prerequisite to a networking certification.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
No, I'm confused about if Stephan had garlic or onions on his pizza.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Gabe says it was pineapple, but I think he's trying to deceive us. If Stephen verifies it's garlic/onion then we've got him! 
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
I have heard that Gabe knows his pineapples!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2660 Posts
  • 1386 Reply Likes
Thin crust with BBQ sauce, cheese, pineapple and buttery garlic stuff on the edge of the crust.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
AH HA!!!  See, I know my pineapples.  LMAO!  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
My apologies... you shall ever be known as Dances with Pineapples.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
Now for the serious stuff.  Pineapple should NEVER be anywhere near a pizza.  Ever.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
Eh.  It's not that bad when the pizza has a sweeter type of sauce and when it has ham on it, as well.  And I would take pineapple on my pizza any day before BBQ sauce.  Now THAT'S a travesty!  But, to each his/her own.  People put just about anything you can think of on pizza these days, and the major chains often acquiesce to the more popular, but non-traditional, toppings.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2660 Posts
  • 1386 Reply Likes
I get the crust smothered with garlic stuff to compliment the BBQ sauce and pineapple.

I just wish Pizza hut had an oregano topping to put on the pineapple. Domino's does but I like pizza hut better.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
I really liked Pizza Hut for a while.  When I lived in Hagerstown, MD I had one right down the street, and it was right around the time they they had come out with their "bigger, fresher toppings" campaign (late 90s to early 00s).  It was good.  But after a few years they went back to the same ole, same ole, and I lost interest.  The nearest Pizza Hut to me now is 20 miles away.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 796 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
A couple of my co-workers switched to Viasat recently after being with HN for years. They are both very satisfied with their decision.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
Yes, and there are those that have switched from Viasat to HN that are very satisfied.  We see it here once in a while. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Which begs the question, who has dumped Viasat for Hughesnet? Anybody?
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 796 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
I have yet to meet anyone in my area who has switched to HN from Viasat.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2660 Posts
  • 1386 Reply Likes
I guess y'all forgot about Fred G Sanford.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Some posters are never forgotten. Others we want to quickly forget!
Photo of Dontrellz Page

Dontrellz Page

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Don’t go to Hughesnet because they service is sucks Viasat is the best !!!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
Which begs the question, who has dumped Viasat for Hughesnet? Anybody?
I imagine it's not the best place to ask that question.  With that said, I've seen some.  
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
Of course.  The difference in the two sat. services are probably not really worth arguing over.  The plans and data and free zones are just a personnel preference. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
I was registered in the Hughesnet board at one time, but haven't been on there in years!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, with the new boards, you have to be a customer to be able to create an account and post.  The advantage is that it cuts WAY down on trolling and spamming, but it's unfortunate in that prospective customers can't sign in and ask questions, which I think they should be able to do.  

I think we all feel nearly the same about GetSat, but anyone can get on this board and ask questions about ViaSat, which is good.

Edit:  I should add that I was only acknowledging the limitations of the HughesNet board and not at all suggesting that's the reason you haven't been on there in years.  LOL.  
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
Of course.  The difference in the two sat. services are probably not really worth arguing over.  The plans and data and free zones are just a personnel preference. 
Agreed.  And the way I look at it, the better both services are the better the competition, and that's great for all of us.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 796 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
The folks I know who have switched to Viasat from HN are mainly satisfied because of more data being available to them for a similar price. None of them have mentioned that performance is any different.
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 321 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Hughesnet customer service sucks. Viasat customer service sucks. As far as the service it will depend on the area you are in. Hughesnet uses more powerful compression technology. Viasat has more powerful satellites. Congestion can be and is a problem is some areas on both. Is this now the church of Viasat?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1773 Posts
  • 1107 Reply Likes
Hughesnet uses more powerful compression technology.
Actually, at least in my experience and some others, while Gen4's compression was fantastic, Gen5's isn't, or in my case, it's seemingly nonexistent.  

When I had Gen4, I would see data usage comparisons that were always in my favor with Glasswire and my router vs HughesNet.  When Glasswire and my router would say 8GB, HughesNet would say 3.5GB or 4GB, as an example.  Now, with Gen5, the tallies are  virtually even.  

Unfortunately, for some of the people that don't have the tools to make the comparisons that I do, when seeing the difference after an upgrade to Gen5 they automatically assume that HughesNet is "stealing" their data, never realizing that Gen4 just had great data compression.  

I don't know if they had to forego the compression for Gen5 or what, but there's definitely a difference, at least for me and those who have mentioned it.  

Luckily, when I upgraded from Gen4 to Gen5 I went up from my 15GB Gen4 plan instead of down, though I certainly contemplated doing the latter.  With 20GB I'm fine, but I would be having a hard time with 10GB.  Still, the price I pay is actually a few bucks less than I was with Gen4, so getting the higher data package works out in the end.  
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
"Hughesnet customer service sucks. Viasat customer service sucks."

Well, at least Ronald is consistent!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
He should try Spectrum. They have a call center near me. Yes, they provide customer support. But they are also pressured to sell plan upgrades and more services while doing it. Very annoying.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2656 Posts
  • 1383 Reply Likes
I just wish my freaking treadmill would work. I need to lose 20 pounds by September 21st.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Have a new subordinate to stress about. I have lost 20 pounds this summer dealing with that. One never knows if a millennial new hire will work out. Lol
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2656 Posts
  • 1383 Reply Likes
Limiting ones self to 750 calories a day can work wonders for weight loss. I was hoping to do 2 miles a day on the treadmill too but the motor keeps stopping.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1773 Posts
  • 1107 Reply Likes
Heck, I wouldn't mind gaining 20 pounds.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 789 Posts
  • 489 Reply Likes
Ronald is correct. Most company's customer service does suck.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2656 Posts
  • 1383 Reply Likes
Diet is going pretty well. I was at 190 lbs this past Sunday. This morning I weighed in at 181.8 lbs.

Only 12 more pounds to go.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1773 Posts
  • 1107 Reply Likes
That's a lot of weight to lose in six days.  But, congrats!  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
I could lose that much in a hot day!

Of course, I got a lot more to lose. Lol
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2656 Posts
  • 1383 Reply Likes
I had iHop for lunch today.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 789 Posts
  • 489 Reply Likes
I partied with a pole dancer tonight.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2656 Posts
  • 1383 Reply Likes
It appears Captain Kirk has us all beat. It's time for me to turn in my internets card.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 789 Posts
  • 489 Reply Likes
I'm sort of kidding. She's an old friend who happens to be a dancer and we hung out tonight after not seeing each other for a while. Totally off topic, but oh well.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2656 Posts
  • 1383 Reply Likes
Was she one of Mudd's women?
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 789 Posts
  • 489 Reply Likes
I wish, though she does look like one of the girls on the new Star Trek Discovery series.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
The trouble with tribbles!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
"Totally off topic, but oh well."

I don't understand what you mean?....   :-)
(Edited)
Photo of Ian

Ian

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I would delete the above praise if I could. When I ran out of data my average speed was around 264kbps and rarely higher than 1 Mbps. The marketing language is thus misleading: "Once you exceed your data allotment we MAY prioritize other traffic over yours." Yeah right, more like "we'll throttle you to 200Kbps most of the time and 1 Mb for the rest." It also says that daytime speeds will not usually be affected. Again, yeah right they were most certainly affected. I learned my lesson. 40GB is a pretty large amount and if I'm careful, I can stay under it.

However, I'm now in my second month with a fresh 40GB of data to use and I haven't seen speeds improve much at all over the "de-prioritized" period. I just tested at 250Kbps (granted it is during peak time) but last month before I used up my data, I was getting 5 Mbps during peak hours. I haven't even seen that during the day since my data refreshed. What gives? 
Photo of Dina Hess

Dina Hess

• 53 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
I'm frustrated as well. 350 kbps for me, right at the beginning of a new billing cycle with plenty of priority data left. 

I understand that it's 8:30pm, but service shouldn't be so slow that web pages time out instead of loading for someone with priority data remaining, not even during primetime.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2660 Posts
  • 1386 Reply Likes
Using up your priority data makes a huge difference. I am on Liberty 12. I'm paying for 12 Gb of speeds up to 12 mbps. My current speed is 13 mbps.

I rarely go over my 12 gb of priority data thanks to the late night free zone. If I were out of data, my speed would be around 256 kbps tonight and up to 5 mbps during the early morning and day.
Photo of Dina Hess

Dina Hess

• 53 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Yes, we know that.

As Ian and I both said, neither of us is out of priority data.
Photo of Ian

Ian

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Right, it's like we're still de-prioritized (throttled) after the billing and data reset. Chat customer service says to call tech support because "everything appears to be working as it should." Ugh... been through that with Hughes plenty. Is this also your second month or have you had the service for longer and it doesn't usually do this? Or does it do this every month if you use up your data in the prior month? 
Photo of Dina Hess

Dina Hess

• 53 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
I've had it for longer -- about 6 months -- and it's often (not always, but very very very often) this bad in the evenings.  De-prioritized seems to be the difference between 100 kbps (after) and 250-350 kbps (with priority data remaining).  It's so bad that we are routinely driving an hour round trip nearly every weeknight so my high schooler can do his homework in the county library, for lack of usable internet at home.

I don't think Stephen grasps that some beams are insanely congested and this is our normal, *even with priority data.*
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
He doesnt. Then he likes to think his experience is typical, when it is really atypical for many of us on congested beams.

It is not unusual during primetime to see my speed with priority data hover around 300 - 500kbps

Just wait until the holidays....
Photo of Ian

Ian

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Oh man... I don't want to hear that... But unfortunately I'm used to that with Hughesnet.

Well I called tech support and it was a pretty long call but better experience than HN. They tested their throughput to the modem and it said it should be 7 Mbps. We did a hard modem reset but let it sit unplugged for more than 2 minutes. Since it rebooted, speeds have been creeping back up to normal. It appears to have helped considerably but the test will be daytime. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Data reset was 12:01 AM, 9/24/18. Long modem reboot was just before the 11:04 PM speed test of 2.2 Mbps.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1720 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
Wasn't there someone a month or two ago who was still being "prioritized", even though their data had reset the day before?  I'm trying to find the thread, but I'm not having luck.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Dont you mean deprioritzed?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Prioritized simply means to place in order by importance - "deprioritized" isn't a word although commonly accepted as one (probably why it's showing a spellcheck error for me). Really depends which dictionary is used - I tend to rely on Webster or Cambridge for Scrabble challenges - but just about anything is a word in Urban and on the Interweb we get to make up our own - so next time playing suggest use of the Urban Dictionary for word challenges ;)

Technically, prioritized must be qualified with where something is placed in that order which is probably why Viasat states:

...we may prioritize your data behind other customers during network congestion."
Must be a purist among their technical writers or marketing staff or more likely the spell checker kept flagging deprioritized as an error and were simply trying to avoid it  and we haven't even started the debate over the use of may in that statement ;)

Prioritized in and of itself doesn't imply receiving priority - although generally accepted nowadays as meaning it.     

But yeah regardless of preference, I do recall that thread Gabe and yes it was a failure to fully reset - usage count did but speeds didn't until some time after the reset date - my guess is the modem missed a wake up call to fully restore speed.  

The bigger problem besides definition is that few seem to know what it entails or even that it exists after all this time.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Old Labs. You sure Jab hasn't taken over your account? Lol

Why dont we just say you are put at the back of the line!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Nope Jab is elsewhere arguing with himself, words matter - but yeah put at the back of the line and others who haven't exceeded their usage threshold even get to cut in front of you when they arrive - you may stay at the end of the line.

But that doesn't explain the complaint raised here - that they are still being "prioritized" after data reset. But the "speed test" (speed doesn't mean speed either, and unlimited doesn;t mean unlimited so apparently words don't matter), suggests normal congestion on an overly crowded beam given the date/times posted in the test results.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2649 Posts
  • 1380 Reply Likes
Y'all need to move to Louisiana and get on my beam.
Photo of Dina Hess

Dina Hess

• 53 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
If we all do that, Stephen, you won't have an uncongested beam anymore :)

Though we could all at least take comfort in the truly excellent food and scenery down there.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
I would but appears it I would have to give up my Liberty Plan and VeteranSatUser would clearly need to give up his Freedom Plan,
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Only maybe to move where one of those mythical high density spot beams reside. They are sort of like bigfoot. Rumored to exist, but difficult if not impossible to find.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Not that hard to find in LA.

Baton Rouge - Platinum 100, 1080p, 150GB - $200/mo. 

Of course probably better choices than satellite in Baton Rouge ;)
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1720 Posts
  • 1071 Reply Likes
Dont you mean deprioritzed?
You know what I mean.  :)  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
I guess I could always contact one of those random links that get posted on here about HP or Epson or whatever the support line of the hour is. I am sure they would explain it!
Photo of Ian

Ian

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Old Labs, yeah, the time spread in those results isn't optimal. My schedule is all over the place... So, I'll definitely run some more next time I can during the daytime.

My thoughts also went to the normal speed changes as one enters, exists in, and exits the peak usage timeframe. So I wasn't entirely convinced that the 2-minute power down caused the speed increase. But my gut tells me it did because immediately after the reset, web pages loaded within a few seconds rather than 30 seconds to a minute like when I was out of data. I reiterate that before I ran out of data in the prior month, I was getting 5-10 Mbps throughout peak usage hours. 

I get that download speed tests only give us an average picture of the service over time. Web page load times are probably longer for the same amount of data vs a download test due to the large amount of querying and responses on modern web pages and long satellite ping times.

This isn't meant to be a knock on any specific satellite provider but the next time I move, terrestrial or wireless internet service will be a requirement, not an afterthought. Stephen, your comment that we should move for a better beam almost made me ROFL. But yeah, I do like Louisiana.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2649 Posts
  • 1380 Reply Likes
Louisiana is a free country unlike some parts of the USA. We've got lots of freedom and plenty of seafood.
Photo of Ian

Ian

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm in Western NC. The coast is 5 hours away but perhaps medium freedom (not sure exactly what you mean), deep forested mountains and super clean water with trout. And Bluegrass music. Can you hear the banjos?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
I saw Deliverance. I dont want to hear the banjos!!!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
Ian, I'm in Western NC as well, close to Blowing Rock. Where are you?
Photo of Ian

Ian

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUser, to be fair, Deliverance was Georgia... a few hours away. 

@fmj77, 9 miles into the woods from where I-26 crosses into Tenn. Technically the town of Marshall, north of Asheville. I'm in the back of a 200 acre cove, a 20 minute drive to civilization. I go to Avery county somewhat frequently. That's the true high country up your way.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
Your area is pretty nice as well, although I tend to avoid Asheville these days. It's become a little too "progressive" for my taste.
Photo of Ian

Ian

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Lol, fmj, I thought you liked freedom! But for real, the new age hippy thing is out of hand and part of the reason I moved from Asheville 45 minutes into the country.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Boone is nothing like it use to be either. But I agree about Asheville.

Beautiful country though. In another month there will be fantastic scenery.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 761 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
Yeah. Boone has lost that small town atmosphere in the last 20 years or so. The growth of ASU is mostly to blame for that. But you can still drive a few miles from town and be in some pretty backwoods country.
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

DavidBrowserGuy, Browser Expert

• 126 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Hi Ian, Glad to hear that you are happy with the web browsing speeds.  Are you using the Viasat Browser?  If not, give it a go.  Your web browsing will be even faster and it will be more private and use less data.  You can download it here:  https://browser.viasat.com 
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2357 Posts
  • 457 Reply Likes
Hello Elizabeth,  Gabe is correct about the DSS as being your account number.   I have removed that post as this is a public forum.  Have you resolved your issue? 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1791 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
Thanks, Diana.  :)   
Photo of Anniem05

Anniem05

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thank you, forgot all about that in the heat of this situation. I’m having both computers wiped as we speak. Down to base factory and reloaded. Viasat is being installed Monday afternoon. Funny when I got to Best Buy I told them Office 365 hadn’t been installed correctly either and gave samples of what it was doing. They opened the software on their WiFi and it worked perfectly. Features were blocked here at house for me. This has been happening for a while as well. I would like to add that with Gen 5 the routers, 2 to be exact, are built into the box a 2 ghz and a 5 ghz. My PCs have a WiFi ready card or board in them that enable them to talk to the hughesnet router. When we upgraded to Gen5 we packed our router away. It was all hughesnet until you try to get their support because someone hacked or is using your time etc.....the guy last night needs to remember several things that he is in no position to make assumptions about someone’s financial status, he shouldn’t assume he is smarter than everyone else he might learn something sometimes, that the public he deals with are people’s spouses, mothers, fathers, grandparents, etc I would never go back to Hughesnet just because of his treatment of me. I would go dialup first. That bad. I was a loyal customer for a long time. Hughesnet has many fine employees they do not need that to represent them.
Photo of Kelly Warczinsky

Kelly Warczinsky

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hughes net before running out... Never above 4 Mbps download I've never seen even 1 Mbps upload always kbps
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1773 Posts
  • 1107 Reply Likes
That's not really a speed test.  For a speed test you should try speedtest.net or testmy.net.  
Photo of Skip Bouvette

Skip Bouvette

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Does anyone know it viastats wifi router has a open port to run an ethernet cable  for a extended wifi antenna. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Which one you asking about? Each has at least one port.