Viasat to get $122 million to bring on 700k more homes

• Praise
  • Updated 3 months ago

Viasat will receive $122.5 million in U.S. federal subsidies through the Connect America Fund, and is tasked with providing internet access to more sites than any of the other funding recipients. The Federal Communications Commission selected 103 internet service providers as part of the program’s phase two auction, which doles out $1.5 billion over the next 10 years to connect more than 700,000 homes and businesses. Viasat was the only satellite operator selected, and has the highest number of locations to connect: 190,595 sites across 20 states. Internet service providers have three years to connect 40 percent of the sites, with full buildout completed by the end of the sixth year. 

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-353840A1.pdf
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 212 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
  • unknown

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Kaputnick

Kaputnick

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
700 more underserved customers not expecting slooooow speeds of under 1mb.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
That would leave 699,300 satisfied customers!
Photo of david lightsey

david lightsey

• 39 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hopefully this may improve services for all users. I am sure many new customers are disappointed with the limits of a service  that does not always work as promised. What do you do when there is no option?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2269 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
There is never "no option".
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
All well and good, but they come into rural areas like mine, where the average income is very low compared to the national average and, expect these people to pay 100.00 or more per month. As my stepson learned, that's a LOT of money when you bring home under 400.00 per week and have to pay rent, gas to get to and from work and, buy groceries. 

Viasat simply isn't affordable for these people they want to serve. It would have to be around 20.00 per month to get these people out here to sign up. Otherwise they just go to Wal Mart, buy a Straight Talk card and, use a phone for minimal internet access, if they really need it. (like kid's school work.)

Only way I afford it here is that my husband works out of state so, makes a lot more than anyone who works locally could. the BEST paying job around here pays 14.50/hr and, that takes a test to qualify for with high math skills and, you have to have a commercial driver's licence and a high school diploma or GED, which many in areas like this don't have.

100/month just doesn't work for people in areas like this.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3592 Posts
  • 2097 Reply Likes
Tell Stephen that Bev. He doesnt understand :).
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 358 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
I know a lot of folks in my area who just tether their phone to a laptop and use that as their primary internet. Most won't get satellite internet because of its inherent limitations and the price.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 212 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
2 years to add 190k users, that will be well before VS3 is open to active users. The contract sets speed limits that we "up to" none subsidized users dont get. Wonder if we will be slowed to let these new users online?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1087 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
Will be interesting to see how it plays out. We already have different plans and pricing depending on beam and direction of the wind. It would only add one more layer to have speeds vary based on what program people sign up under.

More than likely, though, the service will either need to get better, be cheaper, or both to get anywhere near those numbers.
Photo of Aaron Anderson

Aaron Anderson

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
What are they going to use the money for?  Are they going to "subsidize" pricing in the census blocks that qualify for funding similar to the Lifeline program for cell phones for low income?  Will these special census block areas have their own plans/pricing?

Or are they just going to bank this money for the next satellite launch?

Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 320 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
Use the money to increase, improve the coverage, i think that is what the grant is for.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3592 Posts
  • 2097 Reply Likes
Like sending an astronaut up to go fix Viasat-2? Lol
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 320 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Our rural power company also received a grant and are currently installing Fiber optic cable in the county.  Service is currently in some areas of the county 87 dollars, no caps, 30 Mbps.

I'm sure other rural areas (power companies) they already have a good deal of the infrastructure, will be taking part in this program.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3598 Posts
  • 2102 Reply Likes
That's fantastic!!!
Photo of Owen Lars

Owen Lars

• 12 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Brutal. Viasat-2 is already oversubscribed hot garbage. Hit the cap and speeds are worse than on VS1.